A432 And DNA Tuning...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Pat Dodson

Re: A432 And DNA Tuning...

Postby Pat Dodson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Is that a lute resting against a stool? Tuned to A=? :)

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:55 pm

MartinCogg wrote:... - more steps for lawler :wink:
Thanks, Martin. One can never have too many staircases. Well, unless one has bad knees. That's my whole philosophy! :P

Escher taught me a lot about playing Bach. That's probably why I love stairs.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 pm

That's a nice notion to associate those two - I don't know why I don't have any books about me devoted purely to
Escher.

Pat Dodson wrote:Is that a lute resting against a stool? Tuned to A=? :)

:lol: ... presumably pitched at A=?. Looks like a fairly small lute even though we know not how high the stool -
on paint-surface, legs = 5mm, and lute string length about 10mm.

resting lute.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:Wasn't sure about the fan windmill...... growing

On the matter of 'growing' I had indeed been wondering what sort of crops to have growing within the
walled area - laziness was tempting me to leave it fallow - then of a sudden the vegetable rows
and orchard fell into place...

as to fan windmills - I found the notion of the wind-making machine amusing at the time, but at the last
moment I felt it was spinning far too fast, rather detracting from the gentler pace of the rest...
coupled with the fact that concerning balance across the whole there seemed insufficient metallic-effect
paint in this particular picture, some metallic infilling happened, turning it into a calmer solar device
of some sort 8)

fruit'n'veg-garden.JPG

All were varnished in reasonable good time, and now
it's more frame preparation... I'm trying for a big long 70 inches or so frame to hold them all :chaud:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm

It just keeps getting better Martin (though I assume it's finished now as you have varnished it.) Has it a title?

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks Pat - and thanks for your input - we can't know whether the windmill alteration would have happened
without a little seed of doubt being planted.
As to title, various ideas have been wandering about. There are 3 inner frames, the centre one containing the
triptych first conceived, so I'm considering the 5 as forming 3 wotsits...

most recent I'm inclined towards the notion of a long 3 course lunch... some egg dish of sorts for starters,
orange duck main course, finishing with pudding and custard (title not properly knocked into shape yet
and I've yet to research for likely egg starters - ova nova?) ...

I dunno, is there such a one as hard-boiled egg coated with gold leaf? - if not, maybe I'll have to invent it....

or maybe thoughts will pop up along different lines altogether.

Meanwhile, I was outer-frame constructing today, and about to reject a strip of wood on account of it had
a knot - then thought to meself, jeepers, is that not a jolly egyptiany eye most serendipitous for the work?
- and enthusiastically installed it along the top edge-face -

knot-eye.JPG

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

However: duck is 'canard' in French. And canard in English is a tall tale, like your painting. And 'oeuf' is close to 'ouvre'...

I'm sure this is not at all helpful; sorry! Wonderful imagery in your work!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 am

Au contraire - that sort of wordplay is very employable, and neither of those goodies had risen in my noggin :D
- both have been put on the table.

free range oeuvre - free range canard... long range canard (canon... cannon.... cannonade.... cannonard)....

l'histoire d'un canard (appearing in final tableau as left-overs yellow soup ingredient)...

Work has to be handed over on Monday but I'll have a few more weeks for ironing out the title.

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm

We will all find our own resonances of course. I'm reminded of Gulliver's time at Lord Munodi's estate and of the sheer invention and humour of Lewis Carroll. A sort of Swiftly Through The Looking Glass. Good luck with the selection Martin. '''Tis brilliant.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Ta - I'm feeling far too proud of it meself... and I'm also going overboard with the frame.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass seem far more amusing to me now than ever I
remember them being when I was little, but I still haven't gotten around to reading the proper Gulliver's
Travels yet (it's on my list, and I have a copy of it) - 'twas only yesterday I was leafing through a book about
Swift (one of 2 that I have), and when setting up a couple of eggs as models for the two boiled-looking eggs
in my picture I did think of the big-endian/little-endian question... so Swift was present towards the end :)

Return to “Public Space”