Data Plays Tarrega

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
jayjayrose

Data Plays Tarrega

Post by jayjayrose » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Okay, folks, never saw this before. How cool is that?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPiR6FuayM
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Cipher

Re: Data Plays Tarrega

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 pm

jayjayrose wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm
Okay, folks, never saw this before. How cool is that?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPiR6FuayM
Very cool! It'd be way more cool if he were actually playing Tarrega's notes though, right now his finger placements don't correspondent to them.

There's another video where he's listening to 4 different pieces of classical music at the same time and mentions that he's capable of much more but limits himself to ten simultaneous pieces to get all the nuances of each one lol.

Thanks for the link.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 am

Yes, clearly not doing the actual playing we are hearing in real time. Maybe he could play the piece though?
In an early episode of Star Trek, the Original Series, there is a wedding going on, and the music they are playing is Long, Long Ago, an English tune written by Thomas Haynes Bayly in the 1830s, now a staple of the Suzuki repertoire. Where did those guys get their ideas?
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:09 am

jayjayrose wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 am
Yes, clearly not doing the actual playing we are hearing in real time. Maybe he could play the piece though?
There doesn't seem to be evidence anywhere I can find that Brent Spiner (the actor who plays Data) actually plays an instrument in real life. He also plays violin on the Star Trek shows and he's not playing the right notes there either. However Brent does have a very nice Broadway/crooner type voice and has a really nice album of standards titled "Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back" (I guess a riff on Frank Sinatra's Ol' Blue Eyes"). You can find the whole thing on YouTube.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am

jayjayrose wrote:

In an early episode of Star Trek, the Original Series, there is a wedding going on, and the music they are playing is Long, Long Ago, an English tune written by Thomas Haynes Bayly in the 1830s, now a staple of the Suzuki repertoire. Where did those guys get their ideas?
I just looked up that episode which is Season 1 Episode 14 titled "Balance Of Terror" - The music for that episode was composed by Fred Steiner who was an incredible composer, arranger and musicologist. I have no doubt that Steiner took that tune and arranged it for that wedding scene because the way he harmonizes it is quite modern, not in the style of an Old English Folk Tune at all.

Here's his bio on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Steiner

montana

Post by montana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 am

Lots of musical talent on star trek. Check out William Shatners version of Rocket Man.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Cipher wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am
jayjayrose wrote:

I just looked up that episode which is Season 1 Episode 14 titled "Balance Of Terror" - The music for that episode was composed by Fred Steiner who was an incredible composer, arranger and musicologist. I have no doubt that Steiner took that tune and arranged it for that wedding scene because the way he harmonizes it is quite modern, not in the style of an Old English Folk Tune at all.

Here's his bio on wiki

Cipher, thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of Steiner, but the composer of the Perry Mason theme is a "monster" in my book! And he had numerous other notable credits.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 pm

jayjayrose wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm
Cipher wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am
jayjayrose wrote:

Here's his bio on wiki

Cipher, thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of Steiner, but the composer of the Perry Mason theme is a "monster" in my book! And he had numerous other notable credits.
My pleasure you're very welcome! :D Yes Fred Steiner had a very impressive résumé and his father George was a film composer as well.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 pm

montana wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 am
Lots of musical talent on Star Trek. Check out William Shatner's version of Rocket Man.

Yes and let's not forget Shatner's immortal "speaking" version of Bob Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man (made famous by The Byrds) as well :D

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Shatner's "jazz" poems with string bass are a scream.
Anyone out there remember the Word Jazz of Ken Nordine? He's one of my faves.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am

montana wrote:
Lots of musical talent on star trek. Check out William Shatners version of Rocket Man.
SPOCK! I'm burnin' Outmahfuseup....HERE......Alone.

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am

They come up with some decent music on Star Trek from time to time. The Brahms sextet. And a little piece by Spanish composer Mompou, piano, showed up in Star Trek Nemesis.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Very impressive! His interpretation sounds very human to me.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 am

montana wrote:
Also be sure to check out Lenonard Nimoy's "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" Easily found on youtube
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Spiner may not be playing the notes you're hearing there, but I do believe he can play the guitar, at least to some extent. His violin faking, OTOH, is not very convincing, although he got better over time.

Return to “Public Space”