Cordoba C10 string decision

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MarkInLA

Cordoba C10 string decision

Postby MarkInLA » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:03 am

Nearly all who own one of these beauties knows the claim Cordoba makes, that this guitar is at its best with the heavy gauge Cristal Corums it comes with. Well, I don't have the strongest or largest hands and always found it causing too much muscular fatigue for me. For the halibut I put low tension D'addarios on a while back and boy did this improve my grip ability and stretches. It doesn't though, help the volume /projection but does sound fine. I am about to split the difference tonight and change to 'normal tension' D'addarios I just picked up. I believe this will be quite suitable for both the instrument's volume/projection and for my hands. In other words I now believe the C10 does not necessarily demand the 'hard tension' strings it comes with in order for it to sound perfectly, as Cordoba claims; maybe not tip top, but certainly adequate for most playing environments, if it already sounds adequate with the lights it presently has on...
I'd like to hear what other C10 owners have experienced, either way. I do love this guitar, though. Took a good while to bond with her, but it's part of me now....No regrets...

Jim Davidson

Re: Cordoba C10 string decision

Postby Jim Davidson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:15 am

Cordoba probably has a deal going with Savarez. It means nothing in terms of what will actually sound good on your guitar.

I recently got to unbox a C10 that arrived at the shop. I thought the strings it came with were great for basses but lacked in the trebles. It's hard to tell what comes from the strings and what comes from the guitar or the fingers. Keep experimenting, and you'll find the right set for you.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 am

Jim, that's what I'm saying. I did put the normals on an it is a nice compromise between light and heavy tension. What I am asking is, how do other C10ers deal with this Cordoba Cristal Corum claim ? I do admit when they are on it, it really does sound big and loud.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Hm, I agree with Jim that they probably just have a deal going on with Savarez. I got a Cordoba GK Studio negra and that also came with the Savarez strings. I've since changed to other brands, and on that guitar I didn't think the Savarez strings were superior.
Dave

robert e

Postby robert e » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:15 pm

FYI the "deal" is that both Cordoba and Savarez are owned by the Cordoba Music Group, along with Aquila, Guild and Humicase. But I'm reading Mark's question as being more about tension than brand.

Mark, all I can add is that at least from one brief encounter I agree that the C10 is indeed very loud and very "big" sounding with the HT Cristal Corums. But louder isn't necessarily better, and if you don't need the volume, there's no reason not to experiment with different tensions and/or brands, especially if tone doesn't suffer (or even improves). I'll just note that D'Addario are pretty much the other end of the tension spectrum, and there is a lot in between to choose from. It's possible that there is a string set out there that is just as loud (if that's what you want) but more playable, or that your preference will change over time. The guitar will change, as well. And of course you can mix strings from different sets.

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:07 am

I did put the 'normal tension' D'adds on and they're near finished stretching. They sound and feel A1 so far; very clear and precise voices and not as demanding as the Sav hard tension.. I hope I am right that my search is finally over. But we all know how that goes...Anyway, I have finally stopped Kvetching about wolf tones, action/saddle, and nut slots, truss-rod changing and whatever else had me squirming for a long time. I find myself now, just playing, tuning up, wiping off and putting her away til next session. I am really happy about choosing this guitar as likely to be my No.1 for the rest of my life. I will never get to a level of CG playing where I need a Hauser..and this gal is probably just as capable for a serious concert anyway (+-) ....
Thanks for all the support, Mark

davemall

Postby davemall » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 am

I have a C12(close enough) which also came with the Cristal Corums. I didn't like these strings at all. The Aquilla Alabastro and Cantiga bass/alliance trebles are much better IMO

Reinaldo Ramos

Postby Reinaldo Ramos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:31 pm

Dave wrote:Hm, I agree with Jim that they probably just have a deal going on with Savarez. I got a Cordoba GK Studio negra and that also came with the Savarez strings. I've since changed to other brands, and on that guitar I didn't think the Savarez strings were superior.

I picked up some Savarez strings over the Christmas holiday to try for the first time. For years I have used D'Addario normal tensions on my guitar and they have served me well. It'll be interesting to see the, I imagine, different feel of the Savarez strings.

dptaustin

Postby dptaustin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

I would like to know if those folks on this thread have a C10 CD or C10 SP. I have a new C10 CD and would like to know what folk's have tried and what they currently are using. Thanks!

michaeledward64

Postby michaeledward64 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 pm

I have an Esteso with Cedar. And I have a C3 with Cedar.
I switched the 500CJ's to Augustine Blue, and was disappointed.
I went back to the 500CJ's
I switched the 500CJ's to Ramirez HT, and found these much nicer. They cost 50% more, so perhaps it is not surprising.
I notice the improvement in sound on both the lower priced guitar and the higher priced guitar.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Return to “Public Space”