New talents: naming and faming

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
Erik Zurcher
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14965
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

New talents: naming and faming

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

The internet is full of naming and shaming. I would like to reverse that trend into naming and faming. Name me a classical guitarist that you have heard in concert and motivate your choice in a few words. Please name one guitarist only in this thread and recordings do not count! The reason why I start this thread: I am hoping to learn about new talents who deserve exposure. Please avoid the already known classical guitarists like Julian Bream, Segovia or John Williams. This thread is about scouting new talents.

The rules: (1) name one classical guitarist only. (2) You must have heard him or her in concert. (3) Motivate you choice.

I will start with my choice: Jacopo Lazzaretti (Italy). I met him at the Classical Guitar Retreat in Scotland and was touched by his tone when he played a Dowland piece. He studies now at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. I believe that he will become a great guitarist one day.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Jacopo is doing great Erik and getting closer to that goal every day. :-)

Rasqeo
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:51 am

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Rasqeo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:42 pm

Rafael Aguirre. Saw him last year in Germany and was impressed both by his musicality and his showmanship. Not sure if he counts as a 'new talent' but I wasn't previously aware of him so in that sense he was new to me.

Philosopherguy
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Matthew McAllister! I saw him last year and was very impressed with his playing and, of course, his humour! The concert was mostly a duet with the flute, but it was lovely music. Very tasteful playing! I purchased the CD, entitled Bidla, and I listen to it regularly in my car. Very nice mix of musical styles.
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

riffmeister
Posts: 4126
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by riffmeister » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 am

Matt Palmer. I've heard him play informally on several occasions and I am completely amazed at his talent.

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 am

Philosopherguy wrote:Matthew McAllister! I saw him last year and was very impressed with his playing and, of course, his humour! The concert was mostly a duet with the flute, but it was lovely music. Very tasteful playing! I purchased the CD, entitled Bidla, and I listen to it regularly in my car. Very nice mix of musical styles.
Thanks dude! I remember it was in Canada right? Always nice when after a concert a Delcampian introduces themselves, you know over the years I have met quite a few members at concerts. Glad you liked chamber music and not only solo guitar, when working with other players it is often where the really special music happens. ;-) Glad you got the jokes, they seem to be going down like lead balloons up here today!

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 2877
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:23 am

Anton Baranov. I saw him perform last spring, and I was deeply impressed by his playing, as in , "Wow, this guy is awesome"! He plays with emotion, musicality and a great variety of tone colour (and of course, his technical skills are exceptional, too). On his programme was a wonderful sonata by Santorsola, No. 4 Italiana, which was a treat to hear. Baranov is not to be missed, if he comes through your town. His Naxos GFA Laureate CD is also well worth a listen.

Philosopherguy
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Philosopherguy wrote:Matthew McAllister! I saw him last year and was very impressed with his playing and, of course, his humour! The concert was mostly a duet with the flute, but it was lovely music. Very tasteful playing! I purchased the CD, entitled Bidla, and I listen to it regularly in my car. Very nice mix of musical styles.
Thanks dude! I remember it was in Canada right? Always nice when after a concert a Delcampian introduces themselves, you know over the years I have met quite a few members at concerts. Glad you liked chamber music and not only solo guitar, when working with other players it is often where the really special music happens. ;-) Glad you got the jokes, they seem to be going down like lead balloons up here today!
It was in St. Catharines during your brief stop in Canada! The church you played in had very good acoustics. Both the guitar and flute reverberated through the church very nicely. Maybe one day you will let the flutist get a word in! hahaha..

Can be a touchy crowd around here sometimes. The internet is a strange place.
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

tom2977
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by tom2977 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05 pm

I was recommended to listen to Laura Snowden and i was very impressed with what i have heard.

Leo Apray
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Leo Apray » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 am

Well, it's not actually one guitarist, but a guitar duo: Duo Françaix.
This duo consists of two very promising young guitarists: Eliška Lenhartová und Isabella Selder.
I had a chance to see their performance near here, and it was really inspiring and very touching.
Siccas guitar has some youtube videos of them trying guitars there.
I'm really looking forward to hearing them playing again.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5858
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:40 am

Hey Erik

That's a pretty exclusive game you have going on there. So if you live in a country like Australia (and I imagine many others) where young artists never tour then you can't have an opinion on talented emerging artists from CDs or videos?

Pretty tough rules in that game of yours!!!!

Cheers
Peter

User avatar
Erik Zurcher
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14965
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:55 am

petermc61 wrote:Hey Erik

That's a pretty exclusive game you have going on there. So if you live in a country like Australia (and I imagine many others) where young artists never tour then you can't have an opinion on talented emerging artists from CDs or videos?

Pretty tough rules in that game of yours!!!!

Cheers
Peter
Come on Peter, are you telling me that Sydney has no Conservatory, music students or classical guitar concerts?

A concert is where real music is created. Recordings are like photoshopped reproductions, they look like the original but they are copies.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

User avatar
Yogi Ponappa
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 am
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Yogi Ponappa » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 am

Kevin Loh, from Singapore. I hosted a festival in New Delhi a couple of months ago, and we had Kevin for a final act. He played phenomenally. He is technically impressive to be sure, but he also has an originality of intent and expressiveness that is a treat to experience - and all this in a 17 year old. He's currently a student at the Yehudi Menuhin school in the UK, but also tours and does a lot of charity work. He's definitely an up-and-coming player worth watching.
'haatha' yoga

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5858
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Hey Erik

That's a pretty exclusive game you have going on there. So if you live in a country like Australia (and I imagine many others) where young artists never tour then you can't have an opinion on talented emerging artists from CDs or videos?

Pretty tough rules in that game of yours!!!!

Cheers
Peter
Come on Peter, are you telling me that Sydney has no Conservatory, music students or classical guitar concerts?

A concert is where real music is created. Recordings are like photoshopped reproductions, they look like the original but they are copies.
Hi Erik

No, Sydney is too wonderful a city to be sitting inside listening to guitar concerts. Better to be at the beach or yachting on the harbour. Even when we get young touring artists that's all they want to do as well. :wink:

So at the risk of breaking one of the mods own rules I'm going to nominate the up and coming guitarist I most admire, even though ('Forgive me, Father') I have not seen him in concert: Tal Hurwitz.

Cheers
Peter
From sunny but culturally destitute Sydney

DerekB
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 am
Location: Bollington, Cheshire UK

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by DerekB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 pm

tom2977 wrote:I was recommended to listen to Laura Snowden and i was very impressed with what i have heard.
+1
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Return to “Public Space”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Altophile, CommonCrawl [Bot], DevonBadger, Jorge Oliveira, Kurt Penner, muirtan, Smudger5150, souldier, Steve Kutzer, tubeman and 19 guests