New talents: naming and faming

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Gillian C

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by Gillian C » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 am

I like John Couch, who is probably not "young" any more. He is a New Zealander but lives in Canberra. He has also played concerts in Sydney but I suppose no one went to them. As well as his solo career he is part of the New Zealand Guitar Quartet (who are going to tour in China this year).

We really are culturally destitute in NZ so I make a point of going to every concert I can (as well as being involved in putting them on). Make an effort folks! I have been to concerts dire and fantastic which is the joy of live performances.

Yogi Ponappa

Post by Yogi Ponappa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:08 am

petermc61 wrote:
Erik Zurcher wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Hey Erik

That's a pretty exclusive game you have going on there. So if you live in a country like Australia (and I imagine many others) where young artists never tour then you can't have an opinion on talented emerging artists from CDs or videos?

Pretty tough rules in that game of yours!!!!

Cheers
Peter
Come on Peter, are you telling me that Sydney has no Conservatory, music students or classical guitar concerts?

A concert is where real music is created. Recordings are like photoshopped reproductions, they look like the original but they are copies.
Hi Erik

No, Sydney is too wonderful a city to be sitting inside listening to guitar concerts. Better to be at the beach or yachting on the harbour. Even when we get young touring artists that's all they want to do as well. :wink:

So at the risk of breaking one of the mods own rules I'm going to nominate the up and coming guitarist I most admire, even though ('Forgive me, Father') I have not seen him in concert: Tal Hurwitz.

Cheers
Peter
From sunny but culturally destitute Sydney
Tangential, I know (sorry) - but I can vouch for this down-under order of priorities. The only way to get an Aussie audience to sit and listen is to play outdoors or at a surf lifesaving club...which is a fun way to have a concert, actually! :)
'haatha' yoga

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 am

Gillian C wrote:...We really are culturally destitute in NZ so I make a point of going to every concert I can (as well as being involved in putting them on). Make an effort folks! I have been to concerts dire and fantastic which is the joy of live performances.
Bless you, Gillian C! :bravo: :discussion:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

stringaction

Post by stringaction » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:30 am

Liying Zhu!

Saw her a few weeks ago on a concert evening with an impressive lineup including Gary Ryan. I was skeptical at first as she is very young and I had no idea if she would be up to it. But she played technically skillful, and I quickly relaxed and simply enjoyed her interpretations. It all sounded and looked very natural, no showing off. A great evening, just the way I like it.

Misfit Minstrel

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Alexander Feldman!

He is my teacher and a good friend. He comes from St. Petersburgh and now studies his masters degree in Maastrich Holland.

He is so musical player and his technique amazing so I would assume he will be one of the greats in near future. Also he is very nice person and his advice (as a teacher) is to the point. Young guy only 24 years now.

- Kimi

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Another effort to revive this thread. Do you know young talents, please name and fame them here.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

musikai

Post by musikai » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 pm

In Friedberg, neighbour city of my Hometown Augsburg the guitar teacher Stefan Schmidt is somehow fulfilling wonders with his students. Quite a lot of his pupils, very young, are becoming so good classic guitar players, both technically and meaningfull, that is so refreshing to hear them play.
One of them, Leonora Spangenberger, 13 years old, is for me the most astonishing one. It is not only the power in her brilliant technique and understanding of the music but also the ability to give most convincing emotion. It really touches me. Like a cry of happiness seeing that someone is able to play this way at this young age.

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube, Leonora Spangenberger (13) plays 12 Etudes by Heitor Villa Lobos: Etude No 2]
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

montana

Post by montana » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:35 am

Great topic Erik!

barnux

Post by barnux » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:29 am

I'll second Anton Baranov. I saw him play last year and he was phenomenal. He posts a lot of short videos on his Facebook page - his technique is great and he plays with great feel / emotion.

I saw Thibaut Garcia last month and was really impressed as well. He is playing at such a high level at such a young age.

Not a new talent, but on Friday I get to see Raphaella Smits perform. I'm really looking forward to that.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 am

musikai wrote:In Friedberg, neighbour city of my Hometown Augsburg the guitar teacher Stefan Schmidt is somehow fulfilling wonders with his students. Quite a lot of his pupils, very young, are becoming so good classic guitar players, both technically and meaningfull, that is so refreshing to hear them play.
One of them, Leonora Spangenberger, 13 years old, is for me the most astonishing one. It is not only the power in her brilliant technique and understanding of the music but also the ability to give most convincing emotion. It really touches me. Like a cry of happiness seeing that someone is able to play this way at this young age.
Wow !!!!! She is astonishing, a virtuoso at 13. She should be world famous.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:28 pm

If I may offer a solo player and a duet. I saw Adam Holzman last weekend at the Radford University International Guitar Festival. His playing is precise and beautiful.
Julian Gray's new duet partner is his wife, Serape Bastepe Gray. They performed at the same Radford Festival and their playing was sensitive and emotional and they 'sparkle' as a duet!
Hauser III 2014!

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm

My teacher, Jerome Mouffe. Besides being a brilliant soloist (particularly of virtuoso repertoire a la Regondi or Paganini), he plays in a great duo with Grisha Goryachev.

I'd recommend his Flight of the Bumblebee as played with Grisha, and his Capriccio album (available on YouTube and Spotify, I believe)
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:41 am

Amanda Cook.

Her Winnipeg concert in Nov 2016 was amazing. An impressive and sensitive performance.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Isabella Selder-checkout out her Sicca's videos of walton's Five Bagatelles-Awesome. I think she could be the next big thing.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Isabella Selder-checkout out her Sicca's videos of walton's Five Bagatelles-Awesome. I think she could be the next big thing.
That is also a (former) student of the aforementioned Stefan Schmidt. He is clearly a good music and guitar instructor.

Return to “Public Space”