New talents: naming and faming

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
dory

Re: New talents: naming and faming

Post by dory » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Ok. This is someone totally and completely unknown but I think he may not stay that way. Ming Nguyen. He is still a student-- I believe with Matthew McAlestair. I really liked the performances he did (as a student) before leaving Wisconsin. He may or may not vecome known. I think there is still some mystery to who attracts attention and who does not. I also saw Thibault Garcia recently and liked him. I have been told that Rene Izquierdo who lives and works an hour away from me is mesmerizing but the one time he played in my city recently I was performing a choral work and couldn't go. Has anyone heard him? Is he as good as everyone here in Wisconsin says he is? I should really go to Milwaukee to hear him the next time he plays.
Dory

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:41 pm

A young man from Italy that I met end of last year at the Gitarrentage Vaihingen was Gian Marco Ciampa. Not a "new" talent anymore but very talented.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:33 am

Daniel Nistico.

Originally from Melbourne (I believe), now in the US (again, I believe). Saw him in Sydney a few years ago courtesy of Sydney Classical Guitar Society. Very impressive. There ya go Peter, you could have seen him in Sydney.

He has put a bit of work into his YT channel and it has some very interesting stuff.

And I am bowled over by one of his own compositions. Search YT by 'Daniel Nistico Fugue'. Played live. Terrific construction and development. Darn if it isn't a touch catchy too. It's been going 'round my head today after a couple of listens.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 am

Yesterday I met Julia Trintschuk at the Stuttgart International Classic Guitar (SICG). She gave an impressive performance of Invocación y Danza by Joaquín Rodrigo. There were many other talented young guitarists but in my view she was the most impressive.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 am

Alieksey Vianna. I met him at the archanes guitar festival in 2005 when he won 3rd prize. We shared a room in a b&b so I had the pleasure to hear him practice several Assad pieces which he recorded a year later. I was really impressed. He was also really friendly and was giving me advice and encouragement.

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Mon May 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:55 am
petermc61 wrote:Hey Erik

That's a pretty exclusive game you have going on there. So if you live in a country like Australia (and I imagine many others) where young artists never tour then you can't have an opinion on talented emerging artists from CDs or videos?

Pretty tough rules in that game of yours!!!!

Cheers
Peter
Come on Peter, are you telling me that Sydney has no Conservatory, music students or classical guitar concerts?

A concert is where real music is created. Recordings are like photoshopped reproductions, they look like the original but they are copies.
Hi Erik
Can you explain how recordings are like photoshopped reproductions?
And the idea that you you can't judge a musician if you haven't seen them live is absurd.
Cheers😃

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Kevin, allow me to explain. Music is a transient art form: when the music stops, it is gone! it has to be created at the moment. Recordings are different. An artist can edit out all mistakes and create a perfect result. Hence my reference to photoshopped reproductions. During concerts an artist can't fall back on retakes.
I have been to many concerts. Most of them were memorable. Artists recreate their music differently on every performance. It is a different experience from listening to recordings, because they are always the same. That's why I prefer live concerts. A piece of music is never final, musicians grow and make different musical choices. It's like taking a photograph of yourself, and say this is me, but do you still look the same after 10 years? Concerts are dynamic, recordings are static.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Tue May 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Xingye Li.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 am

Kassandra Siebel is a very gifted Berlin guitarist. If you ever get a chance to see her, don't miss it.

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 am

Ok, according to Erik's rules I was going to say Xufei Yang, who performed in Hobart last year but then she is probably over the up and coming stage. But, rules are meant to be broken (in the interests of debate) so someone I should have gone to see but didn't know he was in Hobart last year but really like what I have heard of his recordings is Andrey Lebedev. In my defence he wasn't here to play classical but was part of Dark MoFo, a winter festival that defies boundaries.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Derek Gripper from South Africa. Saw him at King's Place in London with John Williams last year and he puts you in a trance. His Kora transcriptions are stunning and a fantastic contribution to non-Western classical guitar repertoire.

Return to “Public Space”