current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
dougcalton

current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by dougcalton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 am

Although I generally tune by ear, for recording and ensemble playing, I like to use a clip on tuner. Currently I have a korg, which is not very good or easy to use. I'm thinking about TCS Electronics' PolyTune Clip. Any thoughts on this or other brands out there? I tried to search before posting, but am getting an sale error - maybe a tablet error.
1989 Marin Montero
2011 Jerry Robert's Maple back and sides, Kenny Hill lattice top

celestemcc

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by celestemcc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:18 am

I like the Planet Waves Micro... tiny, can leave it on the headstock in the case, and works very well. And inexpensive!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 am

IMAG1129_1.jpg
I have one of these Planet Wave micro tunner mounted on the underside of all of my guitars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:20 am

HNLim wrote:
IMAG1129_1.jpg
I have one of these Planet Wave micro tunner mounted on the underside of all of my guitars.
celestemcc wrote:I like the Planet Waves Micro... tiny, can leave it on the headstock in the case, and works very well. And inexpensive!
+3 for planet wave micro. Light and unobtrusive and cheap. I hate those things hanging like high tech appendages from people's guitars. You can tune to different A frequencies: 440, 432, etc. Also has a simple metronome built in. I have 2
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:23 pm

+4 for micro

P de V

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:07 pm

I have the newer Korg Sledgehammer Pro. It's very easy to read and still quite compact. I haven't used other clip-ons so I have little to compare to, but my quibble with it would be that it's not very sensitive. I have to pick the strings aggressively and it only finds the pitch for a brief moment or two. It's OK to work with but a little annoying.

Robert M

Post by Robert M » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 pm

I have tried several and found the Intellitouch PT10 to work best. I only use it playing out. I still use the Korg desk top tuner at home.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:45 am

It'd be nice if there were a rechargeable tuner !! Comes with a small mounting platform, plugged into the AC. Place tuner in it every day or so while asleep, or out, say..No more of the dead battery dance..

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am

Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 am

Another vote for the planet waves micro. My opinion on digital tuners generally is that they are useful for quickly getting you in the right ball park, the rest has to be done by ear.
Last edited by Rasqeo on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 am

Peterson Stroboclip for me.
Most other clip ons that I've tried sound out of tune, especially the Snarks.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:55 am

HNLim wrote:Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.
Yes - the Peterson strobe app is a good alternative to their other tuners. I use it on an iPad with a mic attached.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:01 am

I do not use clip tuners at all because of some reasons:

• In my opinion it's an aesthetical sacriclege to leave a clip tuner at the headstock of any type of guitar while performing. I also wouldn't put up a clown's nose while playing in front of an audience :D
• A few weeks ago, I listened to a guitar ensemble. Two of them (both Frankhähnel guitars and - I guess - brandnew carbon strings) put up a clip tuner, telling some droll stories about the next piece or lame jokes about guitar tuning while tuning before playing every single piece. The guitars detuned extremely quickly while played, I could hear that. Of course, the clip tuners were removed before playing. That procedure took one or two minutes each time. I usually don't need more than 10 to 20 seconds to check & tune 6 strings by the devices mentioned below. Do clip tuners need a longer time to get the frequency?
• I boycott devices with coin cells inside, because you simply don't find that kind of batteries in German supermarkets

On stage and band reherasal, I play via piezo pickup into a L.R.Baggs Venue D.I.-pedal. There's a tuner inside which mutes the output, so I automatically don't annoy the audience while tuning. At home, I use a Korg CA-1, because it's faster than the good old tuning fork.

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Peterson stroboclip for me too. Very accurate. Not cheap.

JCguitar

Post by JCguitar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 am

For some reason, the Planet Waves microtuners tend to buzz when I play the strings of my guitars when they're clipped on the headstock. It takes a lot of jockeying for me to find a good spot for the Planet Waves microtuner to clip on the headstock so that it doesn't make a buzzing sound when I'm playing the strings on my guitar. (Yes, it is the most visually subtle tuner from an audience perspective). For students, I often recommend the IntelliTouch pt10 tuner. It has a nice big screen and is very easy to read and seems to work accurately.

Return to “Public Space”