current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
David Jones

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by David Jones » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 am

I've recently acquired a double bass (don't ask) but found the response too slow with the Planet Waves tuner, though it's fine with guitar. I've now got the TC Electronics Polytune clip-on instead and that can pick up the low E immediately. The only downside with the Polytune is that you can't swivel it on its base, it just folds out.
2006 James Lister Spruce

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 am

Only worth using if you need to tune in a noisy environment in my view. I do use them for that ... but would observe that the clip mechanism frequently fails after a year or two.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Any of you Petersen users tried the "sweetened" tunings for guitar?

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 pm

I am in need of a clip on tuner as well. Attempting to tune with my ear and an E tuning fork doesnt suffice. I thought my hearing was good and the tuning was sufficient but my guitar never really sounded too nice. Until my teacher saw me tune and told me that I was totally off. He got his clip on tuner and tuned it for me and I was amazed at the cleanness of pitch my guitar was after that point!!! I guess I cant really trust my hearing.

Yamaha GL1

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Only worth using if you need to tune in a noisy environment in my view. I do use them for that ... but would observe that the clip mechanism frequently fails after a year or two.
Even then, sometimes they fail - waiting backstage to come on, I was trying to fine-tune using a clip-on when all went haywire - apparently because the noise and sounds from the stage were so loud that the guitar body was picking it all up and thus the tuner also. Had a brief moment of total panic when none of the strings' note values made any sense and were fluctuating wildly :-D
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

dory

Post by dory » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:17 am

I used to use a clip on tuner. I now use Guitar Toolkit on my phone. It is more accurate. I would only use a clip,on in a noisy environment now. Maybe I don't have a good quality clip on, but I love the sensitivity of the tuner with guitar toolkit and I love knowingmhow many cents I am off.
Dory

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:55 am

robert e wrote:Any of you Petersen users tried the "sweetened" tunings for guitar?
I never have. Not really sure what the point is. My guitar sounds pretty sweet just tuned normally.

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:40 am

Another vote for PW NS MICRO.

Small, accurate, easy to use, nearly invisible to an audience.

I've trialled many different types of digital tuners and this is the best one for performing, for classroom and private lessons I use a Korg.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

benadrian

Post by benadrian » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 pm

I'm not sure why, but I've been perpetually obsessed with head stock tuners, and tuners in general. Here's my personal findings on head stock tuners.

Snark: I wanted to hate this thing, but the original modes seemed accurate and were VERY fast. They are just super ugly and tend to break after a year or so. This is fine because they are $10 or less.

Planet Waves/D'Addario: I want to like this because it's so small. I have a couple and they easily fit in accessory bags and cases. I'm not happy with the response times or the accuracy. It always sounds a BIT out of tune. I do like that it can be left on and mostly invisible.

T.C. Polytune: I really like my Polytune iPhone app, but I can't bring myself to spend 40-50 on a head stock tuner. I've used the Polytune in stores, though. It's really nice.

Korg Pitchclip: Kind of hard to find, but quick response and good sound.

I've used a bunch of other clip tuners, but none worked any better than the four above. I've never tried the Peterson strobe clip on.
My favorite tuner is still my old Boss TU-12h, with an actual needle. The mic doesn't do so well in noisy environments, but the actual needle is so nice to read for accuracy.

Cheers!
Ben

dougcalton

Post by dougcalton » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up going with the PolyTune, and it does work pretty fast. It seems to be fairly accurate, but the PolyTune feature seems to be spotted with some of my classics
1989 Marin Montero
2011 Jerry Robert's Maple back and sides, Kenny Hill lattice top

JosephRomano

Post by JosephRomano » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I like the size of the Planet Waves tuners, but I would caution against leaving them on the headstock. I left one on a Maingard guitar I had and it started to eat through the finish. Surprisingly, I've never had that experience with Snark, which are cheap and seem to work as well as anything I have tried so far.

Daniel Clifton

Post by Daniel Clifton » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:30 pm

I like a snark. Good and cheap. If there break...just get another one.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Another vote for the Planet Waves micro tuner. I've used others, but this one beats them all in my opinion. What I like about them:
-It is small enough to stay on the guitar all the time. I don't need to attach and detach whenever I put my guitar back in the case. Always there when I need it. Extremely convenient. It has practically become a part of the guitar.
-Very low profile. Doesn't look like a clothes line clip hanging on my headstock. It looks acceptable before an audience
-Instantly turns on and responds quickly. Then turns off instantly as well.
-Accurate. Probably not as accurate as some of the more advanced strobe tuners, but certainly acceptable for practice and performance.
-Cheap. Haven't had mine break, but I wouldn't feel too bad if it did since they are easily replaced.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:49 pm

I switched to the Planet Waves and have several for different guitars. I usually tune the A string, then tune the rest by ear.
If I have to tune students in a noisy place, I use the Intelli INT-500 to tune all the strings. It's easier to quickly place on and off.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

celestemcc wrote:I like the Planet Waves Micro... tiny, can leave it on the headstock in the case, and works very well. And inexpensive!
I tried many of them and this is the most accurate.

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Return to “Public Space”