current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
khayes

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by khayes » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:38 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:Only worth using if you need to tune in a noisy environment in my view. I do use them for that ... but would observe that the clip mechanism frequently fails after a year or two.
Even then, sometimes they fail - waiting backstage to come on, I was trying to fine-tune using a clip-on when all went haywire - apparently because the noise and sounds from the stage were so loud that the guitar body was picking it all up and thus the tuner also. Had a brief moment of total panic when none of the strings' note values made any sense and were fluctuating wildly :-D
I use an Intelli tuner and have noticed that when mine starts going haywire, I change to a new battery and all is well.
Ken

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:38 pm

I use an Intellitouch PT40 rechargeable tuner and clip it on the heel of my guitar (and remove it after tuning). No changing battery required, only occasional recharging via USB cable to a computer.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Doug,

I like the Snark SN-1 tuner. Inexpensive, accurate, and works well for me. I think it was only $8 or $9.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:19 pm

I have a Snark, it is good for getting everything close, but I always do the final fine-tuning by ear. Tuning is always a compromise.

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:55 pm

I use the BOSS TU-10 clip on; I bought it primarily for my electrics, but it works well for acoustics. I've been using it "clipped on" to the headstock for when I have been practicing my classical, usually when I have just put on fresh new strings. I'm with Gorn, though, I don't think I would leave it clipped on when playing in front of people. The guitar is a great instrument where you can actually tune it to itself. I remember seeing a concert with Sharon Isbin and, I guess the humidity in the south and the fact she had new strings, she constantly tuned between pieces... sometimes for what seemed like minutes (she didn't have a clip on though because this was the early 90's). I think if you constantly use your clip on tuner, you're dependent on that and you're less likely to do the quick tune between pieces without a gadget (because if your strings are new, you're probably playing a little flat by the end of the recital unless you have absolute pitch).
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

Brian Olsen

Post by Brian Olsen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:18 am

I've been using reverb.com tuners with great success. sensitive enough for me to use for initial action adjustment work (saddle and nut slot adjustments). I think normally they are 3.99usd but earlier this month they were selling them for 1usd each so i got 5. Already gave one away.
Last edited by Brian Olsen on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:25 am

riffmeister wrote:I have a Snark, it is good for getting everything close, but I always do the final fine-tuning by ear. Tuning is always a compromise.
+1

Originally I used them for fine-tuning, trying to develop a technique - each tuning step has a small range of frequencies, but each (cheap) guitar intonated differently. I bought the cheapest - I didn't give a damn about one make being more accurate than another, partly for the above reasons and partly because I suspected they all use the same off-the-peg microchip bulk-bought from Japan.

But nowadays I just use them for quick "good enough for jazz"-type tuning, then do the rest by ear, adjusting for the piece I'm playing. I still buy the cheapest.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

dougcalton

Post by dougcalton » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Update on my selection - I got the Polytune clip on and it works well for me, although different guitars react differently and require different touch to get accurate results. I think overall it was worth it and works for my purposes.
1989 Marin Montero
2011 Jerry Robert's Maple back and sides, Kenny Hill lattice top

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:49 pm

I grabbed a planet waves micro with my last SBM order, based on reviews here. So far I prefer the Korg Sledgehammer Pro. It's easier to read. I used a snark clip-on briefly at a friend's house. I thought it was also easier to use/read than the planet waves, IMHO.. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Rasqeo wrote:Another vote for the planet waves micro. My opinion on digital tuners generally is that they are useful for quickly getting you in the right ball park, the rest has to be done by ear.
I also use the planet waves micro tuner, which works well for me. I haven't tried any others.

I agree with Rasqeo's statement above. Fine tuning by ear after using the tuner gives you the optimum results.
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

TomPage

Post by TomPage » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 pm

I use the Snark daily and am happy enough. But it has left a mark on my french polish. I don't leave it on the headstock more than a few minutes anymore. I suspect it would not have left a mark had I always removed it after use.

I used to really like Cleartune on my iphone, but with my current phone it "beats"; ie. it never settles to a spot I can judge by. That may be the fault of my phone as the app works very well on other people's phones.
Tom

Dennisolsenmusic

Post by Dennisolsenmusic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:10 am

Snark tuners are awesome I have 3 of them. I am a relatively recent convert, but once I tried them I won't use anything else. They work well on all different kinds of guitars. Before I tried them I wasn't a fan at all. So...try them they work great.
1982 Holroyd 8 string
1980 Ramirez 1A

gophison

Post by gophison » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:41 am

There are many smartphone app to use. Mine is called Guitar Tuner, which serves me quite well.

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:15 am

I am using a snark it does the job. I don't leave it on the guitar once tuned. I will do tuning by ear afterwards just depends. I have read it is not good to leave on the head stock as it can hurt the finish.

80guitarguy

Post by 80guitarguy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Planet Waves Micro or Snark (bigger, easy to use, recommend for students.)
80guitarguy
Ramirez 130 Años Cedar
Savarez 500CR NT
============================================================

Return to “Public Space”