current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Brad Little

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by Brad Little » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:13 pm

UKsteve wrote:Peterson Stroboclip for me.
Most other clip ons that I've tried sound out of tune...
Plus one. I've tried several others through the years, and this is the only one that I didn't have to tweak to match my ears. I usually only use it in a noisy environment, otherwise I stick with a fork and my ears.
Brad

troy10080

Post by troy10080 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:02 am

best bet is a tunning fork, most electronic tunes are still unreliable

rob taft

Post by rob taft » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 am

I have several different brands including the Peterson Clip-on which up until a week ago was my favorite clip on tuner. Now it is Planet Waves NS Micro Sound Hole tuner. Super light weight, no clip hanging off the headstock and almost invisible to the casual observer. In the one classical that has a soundport I mounted it in the sound port with the display facing me. The other is mounted in the soundhole. Now with all of the clip on tuners, I generally just use the A note and tune by ear. The only non clip on tuner I own is Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, very accurate, very fast and I can program my own offsets.

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 am

Bought a Planet Waves recently as a result of this discussion. Pretty pleased. Was using apps on my tablet prior to that and the clip-on seems to fare better, I don't have to damp the other strings so much to stop overtones making it a bit twitchy as the tonic decays.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:34 pm

troy10080 wrote:best bet is a tunning fork, most electronic tunes are still unreliable
This opinion is based on what?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 am

Follow up here: Still use these (Planet Waves NS Micro) on many of my guitars, BUT they sometimes rattle annoyingly. I think it is the little buttons that are loose in their sockets.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Temporary Saint

Post by Temporary Saint » Wed May 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Smartphone apps are fine until you try to tune in a room with people talking or any other ambient noise.
Endeavor to be unique. Everyone else does.

blob

Post by blob » Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Just my opinion, not much reasoning really. I wouldn't use a tuner in concert. I always just take an E and tune the rest by ear. But tuners on stage - that's a big turn off for me, I don't like seeing it, so I don't do it.

I can definitely see the usefulness of a clip on in a noisy environment though!

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu May 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Snark-- cheap and they work in all environments.

I too dislike seeing them on guitars in concert or YT videos. They are too distracting for me... I keep glancing at the green and red light changes
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Briant

Post by Briant » Thu May 05, 2016 3:45 pm

I check my electronic tuner with a tuning fork. It is spot on.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu May 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Yes, tuners look stupid on guitars. Tune the guitar, then take the tuner off. I saw a flamenco documentary on tv a while ago and the guitarist played with a snark on his headstock. Ugh.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:Yes, tuners look stupid on guitars. Tune the guitar, then take the tuner off. I saw a flamenco documentary on tv a while ago and the guitarist played with a snark on his headstock. Ugh.
Jeez, not to insult you, but this attitude is one reason why classical guitarists get labeled as "snob" and "stuck up". Welcome to the 21st century. Clip ons are just too useful not to use them and/or leave them attached.

The best example is when I switch from normal tuning to Drop D. I click my Snark on, change tuning, the audience is quite patient while I do so, then I click it off. When I'm done with the piece(s), I click it on again, and change back. Not one person has said anything negative about my Snark. In fact, many have commented how cool it is, and that they want one too for their own use or their children's.
Dave Stott wrote:Snark-- cheap and they work in all environments.

I too dislike seeing them on guitars in concert or YT videos. They are too distracting for me... I keep glancing at the green and red light changes
I can agree with this. The Snark distracts me too if I leave it on when playing. But just click it off when playing. Problem solved.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu May 05, 2016 5:30 pm

The Micros are designed to rotate so you have a lot of options on where to put them; mine's on the back of the headstock with only the small clip visible from the front. I turn it off after tuning, but it's barely visible to the audience off or on. It's hard to remove in full, so I just leave it on the guitar.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Sun May 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I just bought my second Intellitouch, the new one can recharge the battery with USB. I have no problem with leaving it on the head stock while performing, who am I fooling by taking it off. I wish more people would use them, it gets annoying watching someone struggle with tuning the guitar onstage, only to still be out of tune when they play.

If you are proficient and efficient at tuning by ear, then by all means go for it. For me, I feel I can tune just fine in my practice room, because I am used to the sound there. When I get in another environment, it gets harder to focus, especially if there is an audience. Regardless of whether I tune by ear or with a tuner, it's just seems like some days everything sounds out of tune.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun May 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Last week I bought the Peterson StroboClip. I had been using the Peterson Smartphone and iPad apps and one or two people in this thread said the Peterson StroboClip is very accurate.

I'm quite impressed with it, so far.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Return to “Public Space”