current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bacsidoan

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by bacsidoan » Sun May 08, 2016 6:53 pm

JohnB wrote:Last week I bought the Peterson StroboClip. I had been using the Peterson Smartphone and iPad apps and one or two people in this thread said the Peterson StroboClip is very accurate.

I'm quite impressed with it, so far.
Mine sucks the juice out of the battery so fast that I've decided to use iPhone apps instead. I'll concede that it is very accurate, and comes in handy in a noisy environment.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun May 08, 2016 9:50 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
JohnB wrote:Last week I bought the Peterson StroboClip. I had been using the Peterson Smartphone and iPad apps and one or two people in this thread said the Peterson StroboClip is very accurate.

Mine sucks the juice out of the battery so fast that I've decided to use iPhone apps instead. I'll concede that it is very accurate, and comes in handy in a noisy environment.
Don't blame the tuner, blame the battery!

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun May 08, 2016 11:05 pm

bacsidoan wrote:

Interesting, do you by any chance leave it on your headstock, switched on? So far, I only use it for a few seconds (probably less than a minute) and then I switch it off and remove it.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 pm

JohnB wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:

Interesting, do you by any chance leave it on your headstock, switched on? So far, I only use it for a few seconds (probably less than a minute) and then I switch it off and remove it.
I turned it off each time. It lasted for about 10 sessions which I guess is OK, but still annoying. Perhaps I have a defective unit. Now I only use it in places with significant background noise.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 am

This is a really cool looking little tuner! It would be great to have one of these. I am currently using a Korg digital tuner and I put in my case after I finished tuning my guitar. The problem is that sometimes I want to tune my guitar when I am in another room of the house or even out of the house and my tuner isn't handy with me, so I just don't tune because I sort of rely on the tuner. Whereas, if I had this little tuner on my guitar, I would be able to tune up no matter where I am. Very nice tuner! I may just have to get one for myself! :D

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 am

I have just added a Polytune clip-on tuner to my collection. So far I am convinced it is by far the best. It doesn't rattle like the Intelli, so I can leave it on while I play; it is faster than any of the others, some of which can be painfully slow; it hasn't broken yet, like the Snark did when I dropped it and it is probably the most accurate as far as I can judge.

It is probably the best tuner for a beginner as you can strum across all six strings and it will highlight any that are out of tune. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a bit awkward to fit so that you can actually see the display.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm

I like the Snark clip-on tuner -- precise, easy-to-read, sensitive and also cheap.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon May 09, 2016 4:53 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
JohnB wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:
I turned it off each time. It lasted for about 10 sessions which I guess is OK, but still annoying. Perhaps I have a defective unit. Now I only use it in places with significant background noise.
You might have a defective unit/contacts. Or if it is still the original battery that came with it, perhaps it was depleted to begin with. If so , using a fresh one should solve this. I've had a Stroboclip for about 2 months now, and have not had trouble with battery (I use it to tune then switch it off each time). BTW I am very happy with its accuracy as well.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon May 09, 2016 6:17 pm

guitarrista wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:
JohnB wrote:
You might have a defective unit/contacts. Or if it is still the original battery that came with it, perhaps it was depleted to begin with. If so , using a fresh one should solve this. I've had a Stroboclip for about 2 months now, and have not had trouble with battery (I use it to tune then switch it off each time). BTW I am very happy with its accuracy as well.
Well, I just bought a pack of 20 batteries for $7.70 This will last me for a while :)
CR2032.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon May 09, 2016 6:24 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
guitarrista wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:
Well, I just bought a pack of 20 batteries for $7.70 This will last me for a while :)

CR2032.jpg
:lol:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Reymundo

Post by Reymundo » Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 am

I've been using snarks (tune and take off to prevent maring my finish). I recently ordered a 440 tuning fork connected to a wood resonator box (physics lab size). That should be fun to use at home.
Reymundo

2015 Luis Fernández de Córdoba (No. 36)
2016 Jose Ramirez 1A Elite
2017 Yamaha GC82S
2017 Luis Fernández de Córdoba (No. 43)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun May 29, 2016 7:24 am

I have the polytune 2 mini and it's absolutely the most amazing tuner I've ever seen. You can tune one string at a time for precise tuning and the polytune feature is really good for quickly checking that you're in tune. Highly recommend any TC Electronics gear. Also have their Flashback X4 delay and it's one of the best sounding delays I heard (including rack gear).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun May 29, 2016 8:44 am

I've just bought two for about 5USD each including postage from China. They're great!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

flusen

Post by flusen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I currently use two clip on. A Fishman FT2 and a Korg AW2. What I like about the Fishman is the on/off. By simply rotating the unit from horizontal to vertical it turns on. Rotate it the other way and it turns off. I am really not excited either way about the Korg. I must say the Polytune looks very interesting. I will have to do some serious investigating before laying out that kind of money for a tuner.

Fred

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:15 pm

flusen wrote:I currently use two clip on. A Fishman FT2 and a Korg AW2. What I like about the Fishman is the on/off. By simply rotating the unit from horizontal to vertical it turns on. Rotate it the other way and it turns off. I am really not excited either way about the Korg. I must say the Polytune looks very interesting. I will have to do some serious investigating before laying out that kind of money for a tuner.

Fred
The polytune2 mini is absolutely amazing. A million times better than any other tuner I've used.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Public Space”