current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
HomerB

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by HomerB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:49 pm

The polytune2 mini
This looks like it is for an electric guitar. Does it work with a classical?
Randall Block

Angella 2015
Wolverton 2016

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

HomerB wrote:
The polytune2 mini
This looks like it is for an electric guitar. Does it work with a classical?
It is and no it doesn't. They have a polytune clip on for acoustics that uses the same system. I haven't tried it but the polytune 2 mini is amazing. If its anywhere near as good I highly recommend it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

flusen

Post by flusen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:40 am

I spoke to a local dealer today and the mini can be used with an acoustic guitar. It has a 1/4 inch jack that will accept a clip accessory. You clip the accessory to your headstock and plug into the mini. It then picks up the vibrations from the guitar just like a clip on tuner. Even though I have the clip accessory that I used with another tuner I plan on buying the PolyTune Clip.

Regards,

Fred

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 am

JCguitar wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 am
For some reason, the Planet Waves microtuners tend to buzz when I play the strings of my guitars when they're clipped on the headstock. It takes a lot of jockeying for me to find a good spot for the Planet Waves microtuner to clip on the headstock so that it doesn't make a buzzing sound when I'm playing the strings on my guitar. (Yes, it is the most visually subtle tuner from an audience perspective). For students, I often recommend the IntelliTouch pt10 tuner. It has a nice big screen and is very easy to read and seems to work accurately.
I just got the D'Addario / Planet Waves NC Micro Tuner ... The buzzing makes it exceedingly unuseful.

I have tried a few different positions on the head stock, to no avail.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I imager most would not hear the buzzing .. but I do. And it does not seem to be a sympathetic vibration, it happens on too many different notes, (but not all) and at a variety of volumes.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Annette

Post by Annette » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm

For some reason, the Planet Waves microtuners tend to buzz when I play the strings of my guitars when they're clipped on the headstock. It takes a lot of jockeying for me to find a good spot for the Planet Waves microtuner to clip on the headstock so that it doesn't make a buzzing sound when I'm playing the strings on my guitar.
I just got the D'Addario / Planet Waves NC Micro Tuner ... The buzzing makes it exceedingly unuseful.
Hi, I think, the reason for the buzzing is, that this tuner just sits a little bit too loose on the headstock of your guitars.

Did you notice, that you can change the width of the attachment by pressing down the middle part, which is a little bit elevated, and at the same time pressing in/pulling out the spange of the attachment?
Maybe this will solve your problem immediately!

Yours Annette

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Annette wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm
Hi, I think, the reason for the buzzing is, that this tuner just sits a little bit too loose on the headstock of your guitars.

Did you notice, that you can change the width of the attachment by pressing down the middle part, which is a little bit elevated, and at the same time pressing in/pulling out the spange of the attachment?
Maybe this will solve your problem immediately!

Yours Annette
I had to open the attachment as far as possible to fit the headstock ... I am able to click down, one click once in place. This does not stop the buzzing.

I think the buzzing is actually the way the tuner sits in the clamp. The small flange on the bottom of the turn slides into the clamp. I think the buzzing is coming from there.

Someone else suggested the buzzing was the buttons.

I like this tuner better than the tuner on my cell phone ... but, if I can't resolve this buzzing, it will be a failed experiment.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

dory

Post by dory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Smartphone. More esthetic.
Dory

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I use the KLIQ "Ubertuner"--gets the job done.

Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:25 am

I prefer the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner. It is very unobtrusive, can be left on the headstock and, for me, works better than the Intellitouch or Peterson for me.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

D'Addario Eclipse for me.

Cheaper than the NS Micro, better build quality than similar priced Intellitouch.

Return to “Public Space”