current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
HomerB

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by HomerB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:49 pm

The polytune2 mini
This looks like it is for an electric guitar. Does it work with a classical?
Randall Block

Angella 2015
Wolverton 2016

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

HomerB wrote:
The polytune2 mini
This looks like it is for an electric guitar. Does it work with a classical?
It is and no it doesn't. They have a polytune clip on for acoustics that uses the same system. I haven't tried it but the polytune 2 mini is amazing. If its anywhere near as good I highly recommend it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

flusen

Post by flusen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:40 am

I spoke to a local dealer today and the mini can be used with an acoustic guitar. It has a 1/4 inch jack that will accept a clip accessory. You clip the accessory to your headstock and plug into the mini. It then picks up the vibrations from the guitar just like a clip on tuner. Even though I have the clip accessory that I used with another tuner I plan on buying the PolyTune Clip.

Regards,

Fred

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 am

JCguitar wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 am
For some reason, the Planet Waves microtuners tend to buzz when I play the strings of my guitars when they're clipped on the headstock. It takes a lot of jockeying for me to find a good spot for the Planet Waves microtuner to clip on the headstock so that it doesn't make a buzzing sound when I'm playing the strings on my guitar. (Yes, it is the most visually subtle tuner from an audience perspective). For students, I often recommend the IntelliTouch pt10 tuner. It has a nice big screen and is very easy to read and seems to work accurately.
I just got the D'Addario / Planet Waves NC Micro Tuner ... The buzzing makes it exceedingly unuseful.

I have tried a few different positions on the head stock, to no avail.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I imager most would not hear the buzzing .. but I do. And it does not seem to be a sympathetic vibration, it happens on too many different notes, (but not all) and at a variety of volumes.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Annette

Post by Annette » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm

For some reason, the Planet Waves microtuners tend to buzz when I play the strings of my guitars when they're clipped on the headstock. It takes a lot of jockeying for me to find a good spot for the Planet Waves microtuner to clip on the headstock so that it doesn't make a buzzing sound when I'm playing the strings on my guitar.
I just got the D'Addario / Planet Waves NC Micro Tuner ... The buzzing makes it exceedingly unuseful.
Hi, I think, the reason for the buzzing is, that this tuner just sits a little bit too loose on the headstock of your guitars.

Did you notice, that you can change the width of the attachment by pressing down the middle part, which is a little bit elevated, and at the same time pressing in/pulling out the spange of the attachment?
Maybe this will solve your problem immediately!

Yours Annette

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Annette wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm
Hi, I think, the reason for the buzzing is, that this tuner just sits a little bit too loose on the headstock of your guitars.

Did you notice, that you can change the width of the attachment by pressing down the middle part, which is a little bit elevated, and at the same time pressing in/pulling out the spange of the attachment?
Maybe this will solve your problem immediately!

Yours Annette
I had to open the attachment as far as possible to fit the headstock ... I am able to click down, one click once in place. This does not stop the buzzing.

I think the buzzing is actually the way the tuner sits in the clamp. The small flange on the bottom of the turn slides into the clamp. I think the buzzing is coming from there.

Someone else suggested the buzzing was the buttons.

I like this tuner better than the tuner on my cell phone ... but, if I can't resolve this buzzing, it will be a failed experiment.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

dory

Post by dory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Smartphone. More esthetic.
Dory

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I use the KLIQ "Ubertuner"--gets the job done.

Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:25 am

I prefer the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner. It is very unobtrusive, can be left on the headstock and, for me, works better than the Intellitouch or Peterson for me.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

D'Addario Eclipse for me.

Cheaper than the NS Micro, better build quality than similar priced Intellitouch.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 am

DevonBadger wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am
D'Addario Eclipse for me.

Cheaper than the NS Micro, better build quality than similar priced Intellitouch.
I just got this one, do not like it, Snark is superior (for me) in every way except for cooler screen display when it goes on and off. Snark more accurate, quicker to show the pitch and much more intuitive looking display.

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Has anybody tried the Cling On headstock tuner? I like that it can be hidden behind the headstock with a magnet, and the display looks really good.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Chantysboy7 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:51 pm
Has anybody tried the Cling On headstock tuner? I like that it can be hidden behind the headstock with a magnet, and the display looks really good.
That does look interesting. I wonder if the adhesive button is safe for french polish.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I put my electronic tuner on the heel of my guitar, works better than on the headstock.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

About the polytune clip on. It sells for around $60 if you can find it on sale but they now have a new clip on that is the same but does not have the polyphonic tuning option. It only costs $30 (on sale right now). While the polyphonic option is great for quick checking all strings (before individually dialing them in) is great for electric guitars (making the polytune a pedalboard essential) I don't think it would be as useful for classical anyway.

Edit: Just looked into it and they are extremely accurate. +/- 0.05 cent (chromatic), +/- 0.02 cent (strobe) : They also can be set to 435-445hrz
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Public Space”