current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Charles Mokotoff

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I may try the polytune.
I have been listening very closely to the few tuners I have...none are any where near as accurate as using ClearTune on my iPhone. I'd hate to drag my phone up on stage, hoping maybe the Polytune is as good and I can be a bit more subtle.

In the old days, I didn't have a tuner, I really like it now, noticed I still have to, or course, do minor tweaks, but get super close using technology.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Current opinion?
I use a tuner for mandolin, bass guitar and for guitar strings 1,4,5,6. Guitar strings 2 and 3 I tune by ear, according to each piece's needs.
For the uke I use a C tuning fork on string 3 then I tune the instrument to itself - I tune string 1 fret 3 and string 4 fret 5 to the harmonic on string 3, then I tune string 2 fret 3 to the open string 4. Then I play the C chord 5433 and tweak until it sounds OK.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am

HNLim wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am
Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.
+1

Don't like the look of something hanging off my headstock ... NB Just my opinion, Guys!
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

googoobaby

Post by googoobaby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm

I've been using my beloved Turbo Tuner with a separate Korg clip-on mike and that's been a breeze for quickly keeping everything in tune.

Recently though, afraid that something could happen to my TT, I bought a Peterson StroboClip HD but I have to give it the thumbs down for not fitting well on a classical headstock. The "pinchers" are under maximum compression just to barely hold on, and even for the short intervals I use it, I'm concerned about my finish. I've gone back to using the Korg clip-on as that just gently attaches.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Contreras wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am
HNLim wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am
Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.
+1

Don't like the look of something hanging off my headstock ... NB Just my opinion, Guys!
Wouldn't a smart phone hanging off your headstock look worse? :lol:

I don't use my smart phone because I worry about it dropping off my knee onto the floor. If I do break a tuner, I'd much rather it be one that cost $30 than a $500 device. I also find that putting my smartphone away when I play keeps it from being a distraction.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 am

I didn't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone already mentioned the Peterson Strobe clip-on tuner.

At first I didn't like using this tuner because unlike most clip-ons that I have used that just have a red or green light to indicate if you're dead on or not, this has a couple of bars that go side to side. To get the note in pitch you get the moving bars to stay idle in the middle, as much as possible.

I like the large clip on this tuner. It's easy to get it on square. My 10-string doesn't respond to my Intellitouch very well, but the Peterson has no problem registering a note immediately. And to my ears this is the most accurate tuner I have used.

Here's a picture.

https://www.petersontuners.com/oldImage ... boClip.jpg

Return to “Public Space”