current opinions on clip on tuners

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Charles Mokotoff

Re: current opinions on clip on tuners

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I may try the polytune.
I have been listening very closely to the few tuners I have...none are any where near as accurate as using ClearTune on my iPhone. I'd hate to drag my phone up on stage, hoping maybe the Polytune is as good and I can be a bit more subtle.

In the old days, I didn't have a tuner, I really like it now, noticed I still have to, or course, do minor tweaks, but get super close using technology.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Current opinion?
I use a tuner for mandolin, bass guitar and for guitar strings 1,4,5,6. Guitar strings 2 and 3 I tune by ear, according to each piece's needs.
For the uke I use a C tuning fork on string 3 then I tune the instrument to itself - I tune string 1 fret 3 and string 4 fret 5 to the harmonic on string 3, then I tune string 2 fret 3 to the open string 4. Then I play the C chord 5433 and tweak until it sounds OK.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am

HNLim wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am
Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.
+1

Don't like the look of something hanging off my headstock ... NB Just my opinion, Guys!
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

googoobaby

Post by googoobaby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm

I've been using my beloved Turbo Tuner with a separate Korg clip-on mike and that's been a breeze for quickly keeping everything in tune.

Recently though, afraid that something could happen to my TT, I bought a Peterson StroboClip HD but I have to give it the thumbs down for not fitting well on a classical headstock. The "pinchers" are under maximum compression just to barely hold on, and even for the short intervals I use it, I'm concerned about my finish. I've gone back to using the Korg clip-on as that just gently attaches.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Contreras wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am
HNLim wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am
Just make use of your smartphone. There are many free apps to use.
+1

Don't like the look of something hanging off my headstock ... NB Just my opinion, Guys!
Wouldn't a smart phone hanging off your headstock look worse? :lol:

I don't use my smart phone because I worry about it dropping off my knee onto the floor. If I do break a tuner, I'd much rather it be one that cost $30 than a $500 device. I also find that putting my smartphone away when I play keeps it from being a distraction.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 am

I didn't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone already mentioned the Peterson Strobe clip-on tuner.

At first I didn't like using this tuner because unlike most clip-ons that I have used that just have a red or green light to indicate if you're dead on or not, this has a couple of bars that go side to side. To get the note in pitch you get the moving bars to stay idle in the middle, as much as possible.

I like the large clip on this tuner. It's easy to get it on square. My 10-string doesn't respond to my Intellitouch very well, but the Peterson has no problem registering a note immediately. And to my ears this is the most accurate tuner I have used.

Here's a picture.

https://www.petersontuners.com/oldImage ... boClip.jpg

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

I think the buzzing is actually the way the tuner sits in the clamp. The small flange on the bottom of the turn slides into the clamp. I think the buzzing is coming from there.

Someone else suggested the buzzing was the buttons.
I also use the D'Addario Micro Clip-on tuner because it is accurate and discrete. Mine also buzzes (especially when sounding the D open string), and I thought I just had a dud until I saw others have the same experience. I am pretty sure it is the buttons. My solution is to tape a small square of transparent sellotape over the buttons and onto the outside face -- you can still see and work the buttons -- buzz is gone, problem solved.

Cheers... Richard

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 am

DCGillrich wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am
I think the buzzing is actually the way the tuner sits in the clamp. The small flange on the bottom of the turn slides into the clamp. I think the buzzing is coming from there.

Someone else suggested the buzzing was the buttons.
I also use the D'Addario Micro Clip-on tuner because it is accurate and discrete. Mine also buzzes (especially when sounding the D open string), and I thought I just had a dud until I saw others have the same experience. I am pretty sure it is the buttons. My solution is to tape a small square of transparent sellotape over the buttons and onto the outside face -- you can still see and work the buttons -- buzz is gone, problem solved.

Cheers... Richard
I've also had the same issue with the buttons buzzing on my D'Addario NS Micro Universal. It came out of the packet buzzing and I found it so bad that I immediately contacted D'Addario to complain. They asked me to send them the serial number and once I did they immediately sent me a replacement no questions asked. The replacement works fine (no sign of buzzing) so I wonder whether they had a manufacturing (or even design) issue with certain batches? With that said, I was very impressed by D'Addario's customer service (the new tuner arrived within two days) and given that the replacement works fine I would say on balance my experience with this Tuner has been positive.

granularus

Post by granularus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:24 pm

The Snark tuners work well. You have to be careful with clip - but you can get them cheaply. They tune well in noisy environments.
Guild Mark IV
Masaru Matano Clase 400 (1971)
Masaru Matano Clase 500 (1976)
Kakuo Yairi H5 (1985)
Hirade Model 7 (1977)
Cordoba Flamenco (2005)
M. Horabe 35 (1990)

Return to “Public Space”