Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
fretfulbutplucky

Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Post by fretfulbutplucky » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 pm

1. Tremolo. What a gimmick. Won't play it, won't listen to it.
2. Classical guitarists wearing tuxedos when they perform. Might as well add the big red nose and giant floppy shoes while you're at it.
3. The name "classical guitar". Need something better, but what? "Fingerstyle" is taken by the steel wire brigade, "nylon string guitar" is clumsy, "acoustic" is too general.

riffmeister

Re: Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:00 am

fretfulbutplucky wrote:1. Tremolo. What a gimmick. Won't play it, won't listen to it.
2. Classical guitarists wearing tuxedos when they perform. Might as well add the big red nose and giant floppy shoes while you're at it.
3. The name "classical guitar". Need something better, but what? "Fingerstyle" is taken by the steel wire brigade, "nylon string guitar" is clumsy, "acoustic" is too general.
What do you like about nylon string guitar music and players?

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 am

fretfulbutplucky, are you sure that you're on the correct forum?

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Moje

Post by Moje » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 am

fretfulbutplucky wrote:1. Tremolo. What a gimmick. Won't play it, won't listen to it.
Well you have to expect some flack with a post like this, but I'm with you some of the way:

1. Tremolo. What a gimmick. Won't play it, won't listen to it. So we see eye to eye on that one.
2. Classical guitarists wearing tuxedos when they perform. Well, it's pretty standard attire for the gig. I go semi-casual with a mandarin collar (so I can nix the tie,) but as long as I don't drink the water from the finger-dishes people don't usually complain.
3. The name "classical guitar." I'm all for something better, I think you just volunteered for the job! If you could just go ahead and improve on your first two ideas, that'd be great. :D
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

khayes

Post by khayes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:13 am

I'm not a fan of tremolo either, but certainly would not call it a gimmick. I think, for me, it's more due to hearing the same tremolo pieces too many times.
Ken

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:48 am

When I hear Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios played well (by David Russell, for example) I hear no gimmicks in tremolo.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:54 am

Things I hate: when people come along to this forum who apparently do not actually like classical guitar music (nor those who play it). This is the "Classical Guitar Forum". Deal with it. If you don't like what we do, you are quite welcome to go someplace else, because nobody is forcing you to stick around.

Unlike KeMe, I am not going to sign off with a happy face. :evil:

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 am

Feel the hate!

:D

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:01 am

Hey lovemyguitar, I think the only thing not liked was tremolo. Not classical music in general. I happy to agree, tremolo is useless. The only piece I play is Lagrima and it does not use tremolo so I have never bothered to learn it.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:02 am

petermc61 wrote:... The only piece I play is Lagrima...
I feel sorry for your wife. :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:09 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
petermc61 wrote:... The only piece I play is Lagrima...
I feel sorry for your wife. :wink:
Thankfully, I only practice an hour a day. Every Christmas day I also take off, so it's only 364 hours worth of Lagrima per year. Nothing, really. :lol:

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:14 am

petermc61 wrote:...Thankfully, I only practice an hour a day. Every Christmas day I also take off, so it's only 364 hours worth of Lagrima per year...
It is a leap year. An extra hour of Lagrima, how nice!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:22 am

fretfulbutplucky wrote:1. Tremolo. Gets in the way of my vibrato.
2. Classical guitarists wearing clothes when they perform. And by the way, why am I always being asked to play at nudist colonies?
3. The name "classical guitar". I mean, what rational parent would name their kid that, anyway?
Fixed. :D

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 am

I have been informed that "Classical" was not the name coined by Segovia and friends to distinguish the instrument he played from more folkish styles...I think they really intended "Classic"...like an old car...not absolutely sure if that is true but the word seems better...maybe?

I'm not much of a fan of tremolo either. It kind of looses its appeal after hearing the very few pieces written with it a few too many times. I think it is a good exercise for the practice room but the concert stage...I still need to be convinced.

Tuxes are OK but most busy performers use the same one day after day on the road so they begin to look a little rumpled in short order. I will admit that I prefer female performers in a tux over the silky red numbers with "everything" threatening to escape that seem to be so popular these days. A stylish well made and fitted tux can be very classy...most aren't.

So, I don't hate anything about "Classical Guitar" except maybe Classical/Classic Guitarists who take themselves a little too seriously...that's really not cool :russa:
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:47 am

Aaron Shearer liked the "Classic" name. How about just "guitar?" We don't say classical violin or classical cello or classical piano, except when referring to the repertoire.

I hate that's it's so frigging hard to learn.

And while I'm on the subject, why don't you see 10 string violins? or cellos? or is it celloes? celli?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Public Space”