Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Mikkel

Re: Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Post by Mikkel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but let me contribute to the hate: I hate that I can't get a stable job playing in an orchestra, hate that we don't have great late-romantic repertoire, hate that there's an anti-amplification vibe in the guitar community (wish the amplification was better too), and hate that most of my training as a guitarist was spent playing and practicing alone and not with others. And I hate that 99% of my repertoire is way too difficult to perform drunk :D

On the flip side I think tremolo is charming, I look good in a tuxedo and I don't mind the name classical guitar! :)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:54 am

Mikkel wrote:...and hate that most of my training as a guitarist was spent playing and practicing alone and not with others. And I hate that 99% of my repertoire is way too difficult to perform drunk :D
Now that you mention it...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:27 pm

Mikkel wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned, but let me contribute to the hate: I hate that I can't get a stable job playing in an orchestra, hate that we don't have great late-romantic repertoire, hate that there's an anti-amplification vibe in the guitar community (wish the amplification was better too), and hate that most of my training as a guitarist was spent playing and practicing alone and not with others. And I hate that 99% of my repertoire is way too difficult to perform drunk :D

On the flip side I think tremolo is charming, I look good in a tuxedo and I don't mind the name classical guitar! :)
How interesting?
I love some of those things you hate ... :)
I love to play alone...
I do not give a damn about playing in orchestra...
It is so great that I do not have to play in orchestra! :)
Romantic repertoire?
I have tons of it ( my own) :)...

And I totally agree with you about tremolo!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar on most popular music streaming services on WWW. Thanks!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Thirds are something I really hate as getting to a clean execution can be a painful way. I am struggeling with Segovia's Sor study no 7 (op 31 no 21). Such a wonderful piece - if you get the thirds right. Otherwise it sounds awful. I recall that Tarrega published some third studies. I did not practice them intensively enough. :(
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:42 pm

I hate the sideline quarterback aspect of Classical Guitar playing..Too many critic's always chirping in about "missing a note", "wrong note", "too slow", etc. Why do Classical fans feel the need to chirp in on every perceived "mistake"?

I really prefer artists that inject their own style & add in their personality & feeling to an arrangement over the robotic "must play it like XYZ" or "it's not exactly like the original".

I was once confronted with the comment "you missed 2 notes in bar 6". My instant reply was "Yeah,& I added in numerous notes in a lot of other areas as part of my interpretation".

I also wish that it could be stated as; "guitar playing". There is so much more wonderful music that is played on these guitars than to Pidgeon hole it as "classical guitar".

Just my humble input
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Dave Stott wrote:I hate the sideline quarterback aspect of Classical Guitar playing..Too many critic's always chirping in about "missing a note", "wrong note", "too slow", etc. Why do Classical fans feel the need to chirp in on every perceived "mistake"?
Please identify ANY human activity whatsoever -- sports, cooking, art, theater, music, clothing, political stance, photography, videography, education, dietary choices, literature, speech-making, and so on -- which does NOT receive a great deal of criticism from fault-finding critical spectators. It's part of the human persona, found across all races, genders, continents, and nationalities. And the internet has simply exacerbated that particular aspect of humanity by allowing people to kvetch and carp about anything at all from the safety of their computer keyboards.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:11 pm

petermc61 wrote:Hey lovemyguitar, I think the only thing not liked was tremolo. Not classical music in general. I happy to agree, tremolo is useless. The only piece I play is Lagrima and it does not use tremolo so I have never bothered to learn it.
So the most popular piece by Tarrega, which has been a favorite among guitarists since it was written, so much so that even Chet Atkins performed it in concert, is "useless"?

Odd opinion.

~Sean

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Altophile wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Hey lovemyguitar, I think the only thing not liked was tremolo. Not classical music in general. I happy to agree, tremolo is useless. The only piece I play is Lagrima and it does not use tremolo so I have never bothered to learn it.
So the most popular piece by Tarrega, which has been a favorite among guitarists since it was written, so much so that even Chet Atkins performed it in concert, is "useless"?

Odd opinion.

~Sean
Firstly, you got everything upside down.

Secondly, it was humour. :wink:

Cheers
Peter

mts132

Post by mts132 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 pm

I hate the fascination with guitar arrangements of music by Isaac Albeniz. That's something I hate about classical guitar.

mts132

Post by mts132 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Mikkel wrote:And I hate that 99% of my repertoire is way too difficult to perform drunk :D
This!

mts132

Post by mts132 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:15 pm

I hate Segovia's fat little sausage fingers.

Carcassiest

Post by Carcassiest » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:35 am

mts132 wrote:I hate Segovia's fat little sausage fingers.
I hate that you hate that. :wink:

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:49 am

Agree re the tremolo, it seems so kitsch; but then I am also not all that good at it . . . . .

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:03 pm

I hate how hateful classical guitarists can be;-)

~Sean

mts132

Post by mts132 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Altophile wrote:I hate how hateful classical guitarists can be;-)

~Sean
:lol:

Return to “Public Space”