Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
quavers

Re: Things I Hate About Classical Guitar

Post by quavers » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:57 pm

You know what I really hate about classical guitar; nowhere near enough people play or appreciate it. it's a difficult discipline and takes a lot of dedication. In a world where instant gratification seems to rule the day, it's really hard to find others who share this interest.

Carcassiest

Post by Carcassiest » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

I hate when I play abominably in front of someone, but almost flawlessly, when I'm alone.

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm

I love nearly everything about the classical guitar - except for changing strings....

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:34 am

Carcassiest wrote:I hate when I play abominably in front of someone, but almost flawlessly, when I'm alone.
Couldn't agree more.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Les Montanjees

Post by Les Montanjees » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:18 am

Not hate, exactly, but I'm getting very bored with harmonics. So many performers these days seem to wallow in pieces with endless passages of harmonics. It's a charming aspect of our instrument but I prefer to hear it used very, very sparingly. As for tremolo, I think it comes into its own in flamenco, which is where it might be best to remain...

And yes, since my teacher has got me enthused about choro and milongas, the term "classical" doesn't seem to cover the ground anymore. If "the old box" is good enough for Bream I think that'll do me.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Les Montanjees wrote:Not hate, exactly, but I'm getting very bored with harmonics. So many performers these days seem to wallow in pieces with endless passages of harmonics. It's a charming aspect of our instrument but I prefer to hear it used very, very sparingly. As for tremolo, I think it comes into its own in flamenco, which is where it might be best to remain...

And yes, since my teacher has got me enthused about choro and milongas, the term "classical" doesn't seem to cover the ground anymore. If "the old box" is good enough for Bream I think that'll do me.
Me too i don't like the constant use of harmonics. I like it how they used it to "El Testament d'Amelia" and "Granados Spanish Dance 5". But to use it on the entire piece and to show the audience how expert they are in playing harmonics makes me feel bored and lose interest.

For the tremolo, i like it especially if the guitarist has good tremolo technique and the sound is balanced. It gives justice to the piece.

PaulHimSelf

Post by PaulHimSelf » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:34 am

If one is looking for a 'right off the bat' solution or instant gratification, he will just hurt himself by choosing the classical guitar. Because of that hurtful event, he will now lie to himself. He will think that classical guitar is not a good instrument. Because if it is, then why am I not capable of playing all of its awesome technique such as tremolando? Then it will take root in his mind when he believed in that lie. Once he agree with the lie in his heart, he will now start to build defense against more of those hurtful event. "I will not let classical guitar hurt me like that again!". Tremolando? Gimick. "Won't play it, won't listen to it." The lie is now at work through his defense. Now one responds to the world differently and other responds differently to him. Because one's response are now based on a lie, this often triggers more events. And the cycle continues.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

Mikkel wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned, but let me contribute to the hate: I hate that I can't get a stable job playing in an orchestra, hate that we don't have great late-romantic repertoire, hate that there's an anti-amplification vibe in the guitar community (wish the amplification was better too), and hate that most of my training as a guitarist was spent playing and practicing alone and not with others. And I hate that 99% of my repertoire is way too difficult to perform drunk :D

On the flip side I think tremolo is charming, I look good in a tuxedo and I don't mind the name classical guitar! :)
Makes complete sense to me. Most people look good in a tux. I find the drunkenness problem is easier when playing duets. Did a Spanish embassy gig once and found that lots of sangria is fine as long as ones partner is driving. We ended up having an live ornament competition in a piece of Bach. Hysterical.

If I were playing out now I'd use a quite dampened sound, maybe nail-less, and amplify it, perhaps adding a bit of delay, distortion or chorus occasionally where it works, for a change. Then I could do the pubs.

I suppose that's me finished on the forum.

Seems to me that we become too accustomed to the sound and forget that just one note played well sounds wonderful.

Was it Schubert who said that the only sound better than the guitar was two guitars? I often wonder why his songs are not more performed in gtr transcriptions. I keep meaning to have a go at the Lime Tree but I expect it's been done.

mts132

Post by mts132 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Roland Dyens

dolan2

Post by dolan2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:58 pm

mts132 wrote:Roland Dyens
Maby I hate people who make bold ultra-short statements, and don't give any reasons.

mts132

Post by mts132 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:41 pm

dolan2

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm

mts132 wrote:Roland Dyens
I assume you never heard Roland Dyens in concert. Just saying, never judge a man from recordings or youtube. I have been to numerous classical guitar concerts. Most of them were OK, but his concert was memorable.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

mts132

Post by mts132 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:39 pm

No, I have not heard him in concert but would like to. It would help me warm up to him.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed that the OP has dropped off from the Delcamp active membership list. Guess there were too many things he hated about the CG...!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 pm

David_Norton wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed that the OP has dropped off from the Delcamp active membership list. Guess there were too many things he hated about the CG...!
Interestingly the OP has started a thread that is likely to live forever! Perhaps this should grant him/her 'eternal life' on this forum.

By the way I love the guitar.

Return to “Public Space”