Interview with Brian Cohen on Guitars and Bream

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Lovemyguitar

Interview with Brian Cohen on Guitars and Bream

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi all,

I came across this very interesting interview with the guitar maker Brian Cohen, who discusses his guitar building activities as well as his interactions with Julian Bream, the latter of which I found to be particularly intriguing! Because of the Bream discussion, I thought that Public Space was better than the Luthiers section for this. Cheers!

http://www.theartsdesk.com/we-made-it/w ... rian-cohen

malc laney

Re: Interview with Brian Cohen on Guitars and Bream

Post by malc laney » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm

what a mind-boggling article !! and as advertised , i'm not a luthier. thanks .

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks very interesting. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 pm

A very interesting read. The most unusual fact was Brian's comment he 'builds his guitars twice'. That is, he constructs them, assesses them, pulls them apart and micro-tunes various parts of the guitar, then reassembles them.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 pm

I was also fascinated by the discussion about choice of wood, acquiring it from trees near the treeline on the north face of mountains, and selecting it during certain phases of the moon!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:I was also fascinated by the discussion about choice of wood, acquiring it from trees near the treeline on the north face of mountains, and selecting it during certain phases of the moon!
Sounds like a Florinette (Swiss tonewood) brochure :-)

Very interesting article. I also had a poke around Cohen's website. Seems to have a Fleta for sale at the moment …

While people these days build up a huge mythos about "moonspruce", it might be worth thinking about history. In the winter the days are shorter and back in the horse and cart world of candle light, moonlight was significant - if you could spend a couple of days in a location with no streets lights and little other lighting you would realize just how much you can see on a bright moonlit night. Now assume the ground is frozen/snow covered. It might turn out that hauling out a tree trunk from the forest using horses is actually easier in the winter than during a muddy season when you have more farming tasks to do anyway.

I do recall being told that depending on when a tree is felled (sap rising/no sap rising) there are different amounts of traces elements present. e.g. copper, which is I was told fire retardant, was the example used when I heard all this stuff many moons ago. It was part of the Germanic carpenters lore. All hearsay except the Florinette stuff - I happen to have looked at their flyer yesterday.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:11 am

Public Space is definitely the right section for this. Thank you.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Steve D

Post by Steve D » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:35 am

The point about why guitars wear out is the best explanation I've heard. Thanks for the article.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:40 pm

I have commissioned a guitar from Mr. Cohen. He is a consummated professional and a superb artisan. I can confirm the fact that he did reassemble my guitar after the first try.

Samora

Post by Samora » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi,Bacsidoan,
Also a question for all the luthiers in the forum: How difficult or easy to disassembled a guitar to fine tune the voice after first try?
I always have had that question in the back of my mind. From my reading on the internet, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I have not seen mentioned anywhere that that (disassembled the guitar to fine tune it) was done before.
If there are certain characters of sound a luthier want to attain, a novice like I am would think that disassemble the guitar, fine tune it, reassemble it, test, and repeat until satisfactory would be the way to go.
Your thoughts on the subject appreciated.

Return to “Public Space”