What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Altophile » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 am

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
David_Norton wrote:The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
Yes. Go to any of Ana Vidovic's videos on YouTube and half the comments are on her appearance. Jeez.
On the other hand, watching Ana perform is a two-fold artistic treat, as both our ears and our eyes get bathed in beauty. I don't see any reason not to enjoy all aspects of her playing:-)

~Sean

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:16 am

bear wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am
Lovemyguitar wrote:I find life so much easier being a reclusive loner and avoiding direct contact with other human beings. Thus, their "cringy" foibles never cross my path nor cause me vexation. :D
The reason I live in the woods. Aside from my wife and breakfast with my daughter on Sundays, I seldom see or speak to any humans. The more time I spend around people; the more I like horses.
I'm sure there's a joke in there along the lines of '..does bear play guitar in the woods...'.

Hope that doesn't make you all cringe too much....
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:58 am

ronjazz wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:59 pm
Not just musical illiteracy, either. Most cringiest? What language is that?
That was the most unkindest cut of all.
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:39 pm
David_Norton wrote:The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
So you think guitar culture has the monopoly on that?
Two words: "Yuja Wang". :D
Last edited by ddray on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:16 am
bear wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am
The reason I live in the woods. Aside from my wife and breakfast with my daughter on Sundays, I seldom see or speak to any humans. The more time I spend around people; the more I like horses.
I'm sure there's a joke in there along the lines of '..does bear play guitar in the woods...'.

Hope that doesn't make you all cringe too much....
2 shows per day.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Leitmotiv wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:01 pm
The guitar, world wide, is the people's instrument. So anything that smacks of snobbishness or elitism, for me. This is the dichotomy of our torres/rosette what have you guitar: it's a bit of an aristocrat(!) And most, if not all, of our best players are great people; very down to earth and modest. I guess the guitar can teach that too.

Leitmotiv
Truer word was never spoke. The cork-sniffing can become cringe-worthy sometimes.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Wearing an ascot whilst performing.
物の哀れ

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm
Yes. Go to any of Ana Vidovic's videos on YouTube and half the comments are on her appearance.
Seriously, I think that classical performers should all be required to wear jeans and a T-shirt. I don't think that commenting on the fashions that a player wears is all bad. i think it's really classy that they dress up in really beautiful evening gowns. But when you start saying things about their physical appearance, about their bodies, then it's like the music doesn't matter anymore. And I've heard similar comments about some of the male players in other threads on this forum written by some of the ladies, so I guess we are all equally guilty.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:19 pm
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm
Yes. Go to any of Ana Vidovic's videos on YouTube and half the comments are on her appearance.
Seriously, I think that classical performers should all be required to wear jeans and a T-shirt. I don't think that commenting on the fashions that a player wears is all bad. i think it's really classy that they dress up in really beautiful evening gowns. But when you start saying things about their physical appearance, about their bodies, then it's like the music doesn't matter anymore. And I've heard similar comments about some of the male players in other threads on this forum written by some of the ladies, so I guess we are all equally guilty.
But you know, come to think of it that goes back to Paganini and Liszt. Their appearance was a big part of the "show".
chiral3 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 pm
Wearing an ascot whilst performing.
Wearing an ascot, period. :lol: Although I wish spats would come back. Those were cool. :D
Last edited by ddray on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:30 pm

How true ddray

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:30 pm
How true ddray
I mentioned Yuja Wang earlier. She's a terrific pianist but she does exploit her looks in a calculated way, just as Liszt is said to have done. But Ana Vidovic just happens to be an attractive woman. She can't help it. It is true though that if you look at the GSI and Siccas channels on YT the approval of a performance is certainly tied to the performers' physical appearance, to some degree.
(Edit)...on the other hand, sometimes it seems that physically attractive performers can be the target of unjust animosity.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Jascha Heifetz demonstrates cliches, playing beyond ability
and generally "overcooked" music ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5SluQyVqWQ

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Isolation of the CG among the CG players.
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Judgemental guitarists

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Stuffiness.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:39 pm
bear wrote:
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:Agree with bear. I'm trying, but there's only so much time in a day if you have a full-time job! (And even less if you're a student...). But who knows, maybe someday I'll save up enough to retire, become 'literate' in music and act condescending towards those who are not. That's the dream :P
I am retired and I can read well enough to play what I want, but I'd probably flunk any exam on the subject. The pieces that I can't read; I probably wouldn't be able to play that well. So, I see it as a service to mankind. If I could read better, I might try playing pieces that were over my head and play them badly.
Wise. I just play them badly, half by ear. My teacher does NOT find this amusing. Hahaha. I do that for piano, which I can read sheet music for fairly well. If you ever want to hear cringe-worthy Mozart, be sure to call me!

I have no issues at all with people who don't want to learn theory, but, for me, the cringiest thing (or the most annoying, anyway) is the longtime players who actively discourage us late beginners from learning it. Not here, but on another active forum, it seems to be an unspoken rule to jump on any beginner question regarding theory with an all out assault to either frighten them away with misinformation and tangled terminology or insist they don't need to be learning "that" until they can play 100-200 songs perfectly. Intensely annoying.

That, and the objectification of female guitarists.
And, the general discrimination against left-handed guitarists.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Return to “Public Space”