intellectual activity? Where?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
simonm
Amateur luthier

intellectual activity? Where?

Postby simonm » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Its that time of the year again. Choices, choices …

If you were seeking an environment vibrant with life and ideas today, where would you go/look? Is it a "real" place, in the old fashioned sense of real; is it a virtual environment? (very real in another sense).

Physical location: city, region, country?
Type: city, region, company, organisation?
Virtual: internet locations

I asked this before but it is archived:
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=79817

Could it be new members, new ideas ...

Adrian Allan

Re: intellectual activity? Where?

Postby Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Virtual: build up a network of thinking, analytical friends on Facebook. (People can add me if they want some controversy)
Political analysis. I like globalreasearch, as it delves into places that the mainstream will not dare to go to.
In terms of location, most of the UK seems pretty brainwashed by consumerism, football and work, but the more remote the location, the more people seem to have an awareness of the spirtitual roots, but not necessarily intellectual. I am drawn to the hebrides in Scotland and places like that.
Is there currently somewhere else in the world where there is a concentration of thinking people? I too would also be interested to know.

mts132

Postby mts132 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Mount Gretna, PA, USA

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:35 pm

"intellectual activity? Where?"

Every time I watch the news these days, I ask myself the same question.

bear

Postby bear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Italia, the beauty, the wine, the food, the wine (oh, I already said that) anyway, the people, the wine, fogetaboudit. Italia.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Have you been to Berlin yet? :P
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

dory

Postby dory » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:23 pm

I will say the same thing I said last year. There are many places inthe world where you can make intellectual community. It depends on your circle of friends. I will admit that for a medium-sizef city, Madison, Wi has a lot going on with 2 universities and a lit of cultural traditions, but there are a lot of places around the world where you could find this kind of community. I don't thinkMadison is that unique. I think Iam lucky with my friends. Virtually, this forum is an example of many places where you can find intellectual community. I have some great friends on Facebook but I have become too political and am taking a break because the politics are so intense they are making me depressed. I admit, though,that I am seeing the whole world with rose colored glasses today because I just got a new guitar. That tends to really improve a person's mood. 24 hours ago I was quite the pessimist.
Dory

Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Postby Euan Hannah » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:24 pm

I think Simonm that these situations occur in many parts of the world but you have to get below the surface and into that particular micro world or bubble to benefit from it. It might be a particularly creative university or college group anywhere in the world, or a particularly creative and enterprising group in a business situation. It is too simplistic to say you will find it in any particular place. Online you are already at the absolute apex here. :) :wink:

chiral3

Postby chiral3 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:05 am

bear wrote:Italia, the beauty, the wine, the food, the wine (oh, I already said that) anyway, the people, the wine, fogetaboudit. Italia.

I just spent the past couple of weeks on the Adriatic coast and in Umbria (Perugia, Gradara, Urbino, Assisi, etc.). I can't agree more. Go rent a house on a cliff overlooking the Adriatic and take day trips to middle of the country and weekend trips to the other coast.
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

Peter Lovett

Postby Peter Lovett » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:06 am

bear wrote:Italia, the beauty, the wine, the food, the wine (oh, I already said that) anyway, the people, the wine, fogetaboudit. Italia.

+1
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

chiral3

Postby chiral3 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:24 am

More on food... Just this morning I made my son gnocchi in white cream sauce. Know what I put on top? Fresh black (summer) truffle. Know where I got them? Truffle hunting with a dog in Citta di Castilla, Umbria, Italy, about a week ago. Tartufo! Oh, the wonderful meats. The wine. The Sagratinos, the Montefalco Rossos, the Amarones, Barolos, and Brunellos. The fizzy wines. The apperativos. The digestivos. The boar and the pork sausages. The coniglia (rabbit) in porchetta.
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:02 am

I just spent the day with friends wine tasting in the hills outside of Santa Cruz, Ca. There are lots of little wineries lost in the hills accessible on narrow two lane roads winding through redwoods. At both wineries there were views of the Pacific coast sweeping all the way down to Monterey and bit further. There's a college in Santa Cruz--my alma mater, actually--but for intellectual community my home town of Berkeley ain't bad. The food's pretty good too: Alice Waters trained a lot of chefs. Robert Reich shops in our bookstore; so does Robert Hass, the ex poet laureate of the country. Michael Chabon. And don't forget Wavy Gravy! Lots of Nobel Laureates. Everybody takes pride in being frumpy, so don't expect that Italian style. Still, you don't have to buy an expensive plane ticket to find good things right here at home!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Tony335

Postby Tony335 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:39 am

Cordoba, Spain.

dory

Postby dory » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:28 pm

I would disagree with anyone going someplace as a tourist to find intellectual community. Tourism is fun, and I highly approve of it,but it only very rarely brings that sort of intellectual cameraderie that fills ypur soul. To get that ypu have to look to someplace wher younslend a lot of time-- even if it isn't ypur home. When I was a child my grandparents lived in Lakeland Florida. I spent a month there every winter, and occasionally a week or so in summer, which is not Florida's best season. I felt I had never in my life seen a place as dull and lacking in intellectual stimulation as Lakeland. I mention that because one of the forum members lives inLakeland and loves it. I admit that Lakeland has changed enormously since I was a child, inclding the huge expansion of a tiny college into a real university. However, my guess is that if I had actually LIVED in Lakeland rather than visiting I would have found intelligent and interesting people to talk to. Look for community where you live or spend time. If thers is genuinely none you are living in the wrong place.
Dory

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:23 pm

dory wrote:… you are living in the wrong place.

You got me. This has been evident for years. But it is hard to leave a regular pay check for the unknown especially with age.

Return to “Public Space”