intellectual activity? Where?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bear

Re: intellectual activity? Where?

Post by bear » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:42 pm

simonm wrote:
dory wrote:… you are living in the wrong place.
You got me. This has been evident for years. But it is hard to leave a regular pay check for the unknown especially with age.
I am definitely in the wrong place. It starts and ends with family I guess. We are all transplants. Marriages, babies, grandchildren, more important than anything else.
I believe that if I had not been everywhere that I've been and done everything that I did, I would not be where I am. I know that I never would have met my wife, so no place has been better.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:19 pm

From the last thread:
Beatriz Martin wrote: If it has to be vibrant with life and ideas, it has to be a big city, really big city like New York.
I fear that this may be true. The bottom limit is probably 100,000-200,000 with a strong third level education system (university or equivalent). Yesterday looking on the net at places to rent in various big towns/cities (in Europe) I found myself being put off by the thought of the traffic and the noise.

Is it possible to combine intellectual activity and tranquil surroundings or is the bustle of the city the key? I was in Aalborg in Denmark a few years back and it gave a nice impression but I seriously doubt I could stand the weather in the winter. The people we visited were involved in interesting thing too.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:16 am

simonm wrote:From the last thread:
Beatriz Martin wrote: If it has to be vibrant with life and ideas, it has to be a big city, really big city like New York.
I fear that this may be true. The bottom limit is probably 100,000-200,000 with a strong third level education system (university or equivalent). Yesterday looking on the net at places to rent in various big towns/cities (in Europe) I found myself being put off by the thought of the traffic and the noise.

Is it possible to combine intellectual activity and tranquil surroundings or is the bustle of the city the key? I was in Aalborg in Denmark a few years back and it gave a nice impression but I seriously doubt I could stand the weather in the winter. The people we visited were involved in interesting thing too.
I live on a farm surrounded by forest. I am within an hours drive of Newport and Providence, R.I., and Boston Massachusetts. This gives me access to some of the best Universities in the country, theater, museums, ballet, symphony, night life, etc.. You don't have to live in the city. The outskirts are fine. Get out a map and a draftsman's compass, find a spot that is more or less equidistant from some appealing cities.
I'd like to say that I had the foresight to do just that, but that would be B S.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:45 am

There is no intellectual activity happening on this planet. The only place for intellectual activity in the solar system is... (Wait for it) in Uranus.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:03 am

I Nordic ski at Lake Tahoe. I love Tahoe. But it's not known for its intellectual activity. Nevertheless I found and bonded with a couple who came from France to run the husband's family's rental lodge ( a hotel). My point is that even in small rural towns--or tourist towns--you're likely to find people who are simpatico if you're patient. If I had my druthers I'd be in a rural environment (well Tahoe isn't really rural) and take my chances with meeting people who share my interests.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 am

Spending holidays in Saint Cyr sur Mer/Cote d'Azur and practicing with my guitar while the family is on the beach.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:49 am

Where you holiday is your choice. But there's only one location for intellectual activity and that's inside your head.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am

It very much depends on what you understand under this heading. You could participate in some seminars at the Frankfurt University, they certainly have some interesting activities going on, if you mean 'academic' by 'intellectual'.
Apart from that everything depends on one's own interests. If you have something you find interesting, why don't you try to install a 'jour fixe', a regular discussion meeting, with some friends and their acquaintances ...
I'd suggest you rather should become active instead of looking for other places, because often these places may appear interesting but then turn out to be hermetically closed for newcomers. Just my 2 pennies...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote:Where you holiday is your choice. But there's only one location for intellectual activity and that's inside your head.
That's why I just read an article in Le Figaro by the philosopher Alain Finkielkraut about the French society in times of terrorism.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:Where you holiday is your choice. But there's only one location for intellectual activity and that's inside your head.
I agree. I think.

A lot depends on what a person considers intellectual activity. Seems to me that much of it can be solitary in nature. Perhaps intellectual exchange is actually what you're asking.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Living very near Silicon Valley, we have an over abundance of intellectuals who push the envelope. And it's not just hard science and technologists. There are ethicists and philosophers, artists of all disciplines, crafts persons of all disciplines, vintners and brewers, chefs of diverse cuisines, teachers and professors of all imaginable disciplines, and over 100 languages spoken with corresponding cultures. Strike up a conversation just about anywhere, and you will find new intellectual territory.

I once heard it said, "Where else in the world can go to a bar and have a conversation with Bill Gates sipping a beer." Well, you won't see Bill anymore, but Elon Musk - maybe.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:50 pm

The grass is always greener on the other side... until we move to the other side :(

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Bumping one of my perennial themes.

This sort of concept might be useful. http://hoffice.nu/en/ (The pop-up shared office in someone's home.) Could be an effective way of meeting people with something going on in their heads.

I have not trawled the social networks but the idea would work fine for pretty much any human activity that is shared. At least a few decamp people have met up to play guitars on occasion so it doesn't have to be done through Facebook like suggested on the Swedish link above.

In the past the Spanish had their cafe house discussions although I imagine many were political in nature. Not too many of the famous old Madrid cafe's survive.

Return to “Public Space”