Recommend guitar strings for Cordoba C9 SP

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
kienle51

Recommend guitar strings for Cordoba C9 SP

Post by kienle51 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 am

Hello everyone,

I'd just got myself my first all-solid guitar last Saturday, the C9 Cordoba is Spruce top / Mahogany back&sides.
Stock strings are Savarez 500CJ, and some say trebles are dull & don't project well.
I've been googling looking for strings alternatives to improve projection of my guitar, also prepare for changing when old one get rusty.
Could you recommend me some strings to try out?
I favor high-tension strings by the way!

:merci:
2011 - Yamaha CG122MC
2016 - Cordoba C9 SP/MH

rojarosguitar

Re: Recommend guitar strings for Cordoba C9 SP

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 am

Generally (without knowing this specific guitar) I'd recommend some standard set and proceed from there. D'Addario EJ45 comes to mind as a fairly middle way as tension and brightness goes. Or if you prefer higher tension, go for the medium-hard tension set.
What high tension actually means, is of course depending on many factors, top stiffness and action most prominent of theme, meaning, what seems to be harder on one guitar may appear as not that hard on another.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

It depends on your technique as well as the specific guitar. Getting more powerful strings might also compromise tone color and sensitivity.

That said, you might want to look into carbon trebles and silver-plated basses for more power and projection. If you like Savarez, look at the HT 540 (blue) set.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

patspector

Post by patspector » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 pm

I've tried EJ45s and Imperial Blacks on the C9. At the end, I found nothing sounded as good as the strings that's recommended for the guitar which are the Savarez 500CJ. Seems like most Cordoba tops are designed to want HT strings.

kienle51

Post by kienle51 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks Rajaros, Jim and Patspector for the information!
Really notice stiffness on treble strings, comparing to my old guitar which is using NT D'addario.
I love how it feels as my hand run over HT strings!

By the way what is the difference between Savarez 500CJ and 540 blue set?
Increasing in number means what?
2011 - Yamaha CG122MC
2016 - Cordoba C9 SP/MH

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 am

kienle51 wrote:Thanks Rajaros, Jim and Patspector for the information!
Really notice stiffness on treble strings, comparing to my old guitar which is using NT D'addario.
I love how it feels as my hand run over HT strings!

By the way what is the difference between Savarez 500CJ and 540 blue set?
Increasing in number means what?
The number simply designates that line of strings. 500 is Corum, 510 is Cantiga, 520 is Traditonal, etc.

The "C" in 500CJ refers to Cristal nylon trebles, as opposed to their standard Alliance carbon trebles. "J" means hard tension and "R" means low tension. So the 500CJ would have hard tension Corum basses with hard tension Cristal trebles. The 540J aka "Blue" set from their packaging, would have hard tension Alliance trebles with HT Classic silver-plated hard tension basses.

If you're unfamiliar with them, carbon and titanium trebles have higher tension and have a sharp, immediate attack, despite a thinner string. They would be brighter and louder than the Cristal trebles you currently have, but might not sustain as well. This might just be my own experience, but I stopped using carbon trebles because I felt it was much harder for me to get a convincing vibrato or to control it with them (I used them for years and now play LaBella). That said, when I put a 540J set on my guitar, it almost sounds like a steel string with how punchy they are.

I highly recommend checking out stringsbymail.com for more information.

kienle51

Post by kienle51 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 am

Hey Tim thank you for the information. Stringbymail.com is really really informative!
May I ask in which category of La Bella you are using? I notice the "Classical 2001" and "Argento Silver" are most popular :v ?
Have you ever tried these before?
2011 - Yamaha CG122MC
2016 - Cordoba C9 SP/MH

Moje

Post by Moje » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:40 am

Less-expensive guitars are generally overbuilt and can benefit from high-tension strings which drive the top harder. I strongly recommend D'addario normal-tension carbons (don't let the name fool you, they're actually higher tension than the high-tension nylons.) Loud and clear with good intonation, very nice. [Disclaimer: I actually don't use these myself and don't recommend them for older guitars or guitars with very thin tops. Probably be fine, but maybe not . . . ]
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

kienle51

Post by kienle51 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:44 am

Moje wrote:Less-expensive guitars are generally overbuilt and can benefit from high-tension strings which drive the top harder. I strongly recommend D'addario normal-tension carbons (don't let the name fool you, they're actually higher tension than the high-tension nylons.) Loud and clear with good intonation, very nice. [Disclaimer: I actually don't use these myself and don't recommend them for older guitars or guitars with very thin tops. Probably be fine, but maybe not . . . ]
Thanks Moje, I guess I will give it a try!
2011 - Yamaha CG122MC
2016 - Cordoba C9 SP/MH

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 pm

I've extensively tested strings on my Cordoba C9. I say can with confidence that the Bass strings Cordoba stocks these with are probably one of the best for this guitar (High tension Savarez Corum basses). As for trebles, I've found the best to be Oasis GPX Ht Carbon Trebles. These carbon trebles are more powerful and sustaining than nylon strings, yet they have the warmth and richness of nylon.

If High Tension is too stiff for you, try the strings mentioned above in normal tension. Though I believe Cordoba guitars in general are built to respond better to HT strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:41 pm

I appreciate this exchange, as I have a C10 Parlor (spruce top) and the g string in particular just has no life to it. It's nice to have some recommendations to follow up with as I search for better strings!

~Sean

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:30 pm

kienle51 wrote:Hey Tim thank you for the information. Stringbymail.com is really really informative!
May I ask in which category of La Bella you are using? I notice the "Classical 2001" and "Argento Silver" are most popular :v ?
Have you ever tried these before?
Hey sorry for the late reply!

I've used both of them. We carry the 2001s at my work and they're a very good string for the money, so they're what I usually use. Intonation, volume, color, and endurance for under $10. I think they're the best set out there. For a while I was looking for flatwound bass strings that wouldn't compromise longevity or volume so I could use them in concert because of some repertoire I was working on, and that's when I tried the Argento strings. They sound fantastic, but aren't true flatwounds. They also don't last long and their price tag is insane, so I only got them once. Good strings, but not good enough for $12 per bass string! I'm a huge fan of the 900W Golden Superior set and I have a set of them on my Cervantes right now.

My teacher once told me that in his opinion, Augustine strings are the most sensitive, Savarez strings are the most powerful, and LaBella & D'Addario strings occupy a happy medium. I'm inclined to agree based on my own experience.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 am

I have a C9 currently and must say that this particular guitar does better with the HT Savarez Cristal/Corum or HT Augustine Classic Blue that I've used better than the medium tension strings that I've tried. Except I did have good results with the Hense 500MT set that is on it now. This set has more sustain than the hard tension sets, but isn't as loud. My C9 is Spruce as well.

Return to “Public Space”