Why is Classical Guitar so Unknown?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guido

Re: Why is Classical Guitar so Unknown?

Post by Guido » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I also notice a lot of people don't even understand what I talk about when I say I play classical guitar, they just don't know what it is.. quite saddening sometimes

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't think it's unknown at all. Do a YT search for "Asturias" and see how many videos pop up. Everybody and his uncle has apparently put up a recording. Or try to get a university job teaching it. CG repertoire is limited (but probably not much more so than instruments other than keyboard), and CG isn't really an ensemble instrument, "guitar orchestras" and the like aside.

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Jim Davidson wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm
I might get some heat for this, but I don't think it's all that unknown. Nevermind the fact that the guitar as a whole is one of the most popular and cosmopolitan instruments in history, even the classical guitar is well known by the public.
Yeah, I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't know what a classical guitar is, and in my experience in parts of Europe and Asia, it's most likely what will be available. I don't know how many people really play classical music on it, these days, but they know the guitar.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Return to “Public Space”