Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MarkInLA

Re: Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Postby MarkInLA » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:37 am

khayes wrote:
MarkInLA wrote:
khayes wrote:I never understood the fascination with Dylan.

This is precisely due to your not listening to him..

Yep - you sure nailed me on that one. Truth is, I grew up in his era and listened to all the folkies - still do. Just never cared for the guy - sorry if that's not OK with you.

Though that's sad to hear, it certainly is OK with me...I simply wish you would at least sit through (uninterrupted) "Only a Pawn in Their Game" "Boots of Spanish Leather", "One Too Many Mornins" and, "the Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll". Lots of people can't stand his voice at first. It's like acquiring a taste for beer.. Once you finally get it you love it forever ...You liking the folkies back then I'd just think you'd like it if you gave it a few more honest spins....
No judgement of you was meant. ..M

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 am

zupfgeiger wrote:I like Dylan, always did, despite his nasal voice. Some hard core folk fans are still furious with him as he broke up with "original" folk music and turned to electric guitar and playing rock with The Band. But actually I like the late Dylan even more than the young one. His voice changed with age, is less nasal now and more ripe and poetic, Tom Waits-like. Listen to his album Modern Times, one of my all time favorite Dylan albums.

Dug it all, but you lost me at Tom Waits ! That's almost an insult to the Bob !! :lol:

khayes

Postby khayes » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 am

MarkInLA wrote:
khayes wrote:
MarkInLA wrote:
This is precisely due to your not listening to him..

Yep - you sure nailed me on that one. Truth is, I grew up in his era and listened to all the folkies - still do. Just never cared for the guy - sorry if that's not OK with you.

Though that's sad to hear, it certainly is OK with me...I simply wish you would at least sit through (uninterrupted) "Only a Pawn in Their Game" "Boots of Spanish Leather", "One Too Many Mornins" and, "the Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll". Lots of people can't stand his voice at first. It's like acquiring a taste for beer.. Once you finally get it you love it forever ...You liking the folkies back then I'd just think you'd like it if you gave it a few more honest spins....
No judgement of you was meant. ..M

No thanks, MarkinLA - don't care for beer either :D
Ken

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 am

People do seem to have this bizarre idea that although peace prizes and physics prizes and chemistry prizes are given for any vaguely OK invention (photo-electric effect, asymmetrical spin, blue LEDs, yeah 'cos with everyone switching to electric and hybrid cars, we're really gonna save the planet by spending less on lighting!), the literature prize is somehow awarded only to demi-gods who write better stuff than the Bible.
No, Solzhenitsyn got his for political reasons, Churchill got his as a sop because they refused to give him the peace prize. It's only a prize, something for dogs and horses, as Werner Herzog used to say. Wiki: - "1974...joint award for Swedish authors Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson, both members of the Swedish Academy at the time, and unknown outside their home country"

And literature is literally what you do with letters (litterae), and write songs is one of the things you can do with letters.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:40 am

MarkInLA wrote:
zupfgeiger wrote:I like Dylan, always did, despite his nasal voice. Some hard core folk fans are still furious with him as he broke up with "original" folk music and turned to electric guitar and playing rock with The Band. But actually I like the late Dylan even more than the young one. His voice changed with age, is less nasal now and more ripe and poetic, Tom Waits-like. Listen to his album Modern Times, one of my all time favorite Dylan albums.

Dug it all, but you lost me at Tom Waits ! That's almost an insult to the Bob !! :lol:

Actually I do like them both. Hope this is no contradiction in itself!
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 am

Great Stuff.I think of him as a sort of public commentator something like John Dowland back in the days of Elizabeth I. Dowland's tunes and lyrics were like a local magazine today aiming shots and jibes at the establishment eg Earl of Essex, Queen Elizabeth Her Galliard, Dowland even has a tune "Go From My Window " .Same title as the Dylon Hit.Whether Shakespeare knew or recognised Dowland I cant say ,but Dowland most certainly must have made an impression for him to escape to Belgium from the wrath of Elizabeth .My point being ,that just because poetry is "popular" as in Dylon doesnt mean that it cant be classified as good poetry or literature simply because a few elitists or literary purists subjectively don't view it as such.The Nobel folks are obviously not influenced by selective elitist views.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:25 am

It is true, poetry can be both popular and good. It just doesn't happen to be in this case.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:54 am

Apparently Bob won't give the Nobel committee the time of day-
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... emy-member

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:23 pm

This will be my last post in my own thread:
All of you who don't like Bob Dylan I'll venture to say have not listened to more than one half of one song. It's too bad you let his voice quality be the deciding factor in whether or not you will go on listening to him. He's not a town hall, classically trained guitarist, nor a trained opera singer or a Tony Bennett. He is a poet !...A great, GREAT poet. BTW did you know he wrote "I Got You Babe" for Sonny & Cher ? Nice pop tune huh ?... And how could anyone not like "Blowin' in the Wind" ?....Oh, well, peace out,.... M

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:24 am

"that just because poetry is "popular" as in Dylon doesnt mean that it cant be classified as good poetry or literature simply because a few elitists or literary purists subjectively don't view it as such.The Nobel folks are obviously not influenced by selective elitist views."

You lost me with "elitists" and "literary purists". This is the kind of dismissive jargon that people use as a short cut to promote their own agenda. Insulting those who actually know a thing or two about a topic serves as a critique. Oddly, when it comes down to it, no one wants a non-elitist (that is, educated ) surgeon when the time comes. Or for that matter, a non elitist car mechanic.

Sure, it's only literature and if you've read a bit of Elmore Leonard, you know as much as anyone, right? And who's this guy Ashbery anyhow?

If you're serious about sticking it to the elitists, why not give Dylan the Nobel in music?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:03 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
If you're serious about sticking it to the elitists, why not give Dylan the Nobel in music?

:shock: Now there's a thought. I don't believe there is one (a Nobel prize) for music though.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:20 am

He doesn't even care ... apparently :wink:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:06 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:He doesn't even care ... apparently :wink:

For most authors the nobel prize means a huge increase in income. Obviously this will not be a consideration for Dylan.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

oski79

Postby oski79 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 pm

In related news, pop singer Bobby Vee passed away the other day at 73 from Alzheimers. You wouldn't think it, but Vee and Dylan had a long history together, and Dylan thought very highly of Vee's work. I heard an interview with Vee some years back and he talked about hiring "Elston Gunnn" for a concert series. More details, hit this link:

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2016/10/bobby-vee-bob-dylan-velline-influences-nobel-prize-dead-alive-tribue-to-suzie-baby-music-chronicles-volume-one/
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Kevin Cowen

Postby Kevin Cowen » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Shame that was your last post Mark.
I'd love to know where you got the idea that Bob had anything to do with I got you babe.

Return to “Public Space”