Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Adrian Allan

Re: Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
RainyDayMan wrote:
Adrian Allan wrote:
Try over four decades, over five for some.
Of course, five decades or approaching five. Lennon and McCartney keep company with Gershwin , Cole Porter , and Jerome Kern as timeless songwriters .
Well, I wonder what will happen when L & M's massive PR organization fades away? Perhaps things will change when royalties can no longer be collected.

Will "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah" stand the test of time as well as "L' homme armé" or "Greensleeves"?

I won't live to see it, of course.
What you have chosen as an example is one of their most facile songs, written at a time when they were barely out of their teens. To take a better example, I am sure people will still recognise the melody for Yesterday in 100 years' time, and guitar players will still be messing around with Blackbird.

Or is there something innately superior in the melody line of Greensleeves? Proving one melody to be better than another in an objective sense is almost impossible - you can only make judgement based on longevity.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Bob Dylan has just delivered his Nobel Lecture, a few days before the deadline. The link below provides both the text and Bob Dylan reading it. It is interesting, it has a lilt and in its final lines perhaps it gently reproaches the Nobel Committee though Bob Dylan has accepted the money.

http://www.svenskaakademien.se/en/nobel-lecture

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm
Bob Dylan has just delivered his Nobel Lecture, a few days before the deadline. The link below provides both the text and Bob Dylan reading it. It is interesting, it has a lilt and in its final lines perhaps it gently reproaches the Nobel Committee though Bob Dylan has accepted the money.

Yes, It seems that Dylan himself is puzzled by the Nobel committee's choice for the literature prize.

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for that Pat. I went to see Bob Dylan in Cardiff about a month ago - it was excellent. I wanted to see him before one of us croaks, and I'm not talking about our voices.
Alun

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Speaking of Bob Dylan, a friend of mine gave me all of the Theme Time Radio broadcasts hosted by Bob Dylan. They're all available here: http://www.themetimeradio.com , for free. Bob takes up a theme, say, coffee, talks about the subject, and plays tunes that reference the subject. He does not play his own music, which somehow seems right. After listening to the show on coffee, I just had to play his song, "One More Cup of Coffee" (for the road).

All of the episodes that I've listened to so far, including "Water" and "Work", are just delightful!

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:50 pm

With perhaps the exceptions in Science, the Nobel Prize has become a meaningless, politically correct garbage bin of untalented poets, writers and Musicians--Dylan is a poet? Dylan is a musician? Funny. To read his lyrics as Literature would be akin to comparing the Big Mac to Chateaubriand. This is just another example of the decline of Western Civilization when true talent is ignored for the pablum of the masses. Sartre, Steinbeck, Camus, Hemingway, and Churchill are spinning in their graves. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:50 pm
With perhaps the exceptions in Science, the Nobel Prize has become a meaningless, politically correct garbage bin of untalented poets, writers and Musicians--Dylan is a poet? Dylan is a musician? Funny. To read his lyrics as Literature would be akin to comparing the Big Mac to Chateaubriand. This is just another example of the decline of Western Civilization when true talent is ignored for the pablum of the masses. Sartre, Steinbeck, Camus, Hemingway, and Churchill are spinning in their graves. Playing again . . . Rognvald
That's a lot of heavy stuff to lay on old Bob. He'd probably get a kick of being told that his nomination was another example of the decline of Western Civilization.

Bob's lyrics are just as much literature as any other writer's work, sorry you feel that they do not rise to the level of poetry, but I believe they do. Who gets to decide anyway?

I just thought they should have given the Nobel to Philip Roth instead, because musicians already have a large number of prizes they can win, while authors have relatively few. You have to pick someone living, you know, and Roth is still drawing breath. His work is amazing, and if you haven't read anything of his or haven't read anything since Portnoy's Complaint, you've missed out on a lot.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 pm

A few posts have been removed from this thread which is now locked. Members have had enough opportunity by now to congratulate Bob Dylan. The thread had begun to drift into political topics arising from Dylan's songs and the award of the Nobel prize. Despite my mild warning about this the the very next post continued the trend. Moderators warnings should be taken seriously.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “The Café”