London International Guitar Competition final 2016

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
UKsteve

London International Guitar Competition final 2016

Post by UKsteve » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Went to see this last night at the Guildhall "Milton Court" venue - first time I'd been there. Fabulous venue - reminded me of King's Place - lots of wood and very new.

The three finalists were playing with the Newham Youth Orchestra, who were great. All three finalists played all three movements of the Aranjuez and also a new composition "Orpheus", also for orchestra.
Nice to hear the players with an orchestra but the downside - and a big one for me - is that we got to hear absolutely nothing of them playing unaccompanied pieces. Bit of a let down for a guitar competition.

Also, the audience was called back into the auditorium to hear the result...but that wasn't revealed for a further 30 minutes and people returning back outside found their drinks had been cleared away. Not good. Needs to be more thought around slick organisation.

I was also dissapointed to find the hall so empty. There was an orchestra and many of the attendees were there to see their sibling, spouse etc. on stage. There were very few there (like us) who had gone simply to hear good guitar. A pity as it was a mere £10 a ticket.

In any event, this year my predictions for first, second and third agreed completely with those from the judges, which was the polar opposite of what happened last year. I must be gettig more discriminating?!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: London International Guitar Competition final 2016

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:14 pm

So who won?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

James

Post by James » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:35 am

Hope to see the replay sometime soon. Interesting not having any unaccompanied pieces. do you know who wrote Orpheus?

Also wondering who won.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:27 am

Giacomo Susani won.

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:47 am

James wrote:Who wrote Orpheus?
Graham Lynch. Commissioned by IGF (International Guitar Foundation) for London International Guitar Competition.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:24 am

If it was organised by IGF one isn't surprised the organisation was poor in aspects of consideration for attendees.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:If it was organised by IGF one isn't surprised the organisation was poor in aspects of consideration for attendees.
How so?
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Cass Couvelas wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:If it was organised by IGF one isn't surprised the organisation was poor in aspects of consideration for attendees.
How so?
I was involved in something they organised and it was "poor"* from start to finish, and other stories have filtered this way from others at other times.

* because really rude words are not allowed on this forum.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Cass Couvelas wrote:
How so?
I was involved in something they organised and it was "poor"* from start to finish, and other stories have filtered this way from others at other times.

* because really rude words are not allowed on this forum.
Is that the Guitar Festival we both attended around 1995 or another event?
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Adrian Allan wrote: Is that the Guitar Festival we both attended around 1995 or another event?
Later. Better not go into too much detail.
Louis Panormo (1838)

grahamanthonydevine1

Post by grahamanthonydevine1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:32 am

Hello UKsteve,
I was one of the jurors for the IGF London International Guitar Competition last Saturday night (as in 2015 which was, by the way, decided extremely quickly by a unanimous decision). I can’t comment on the organisational side of things I’m afraid , but I would like to add that the second and third prize winners also played extremely well and should be mentioned, their names are: Dmytro Omelchak (Ukraine) -second prize and Pietro Locatto (Italy) - third prize, and of course Giacomo Susani (Italy) deservedly took first prize on this occasion.
The decision on Saturday night was unanimous, and in addition there was a special prize awarded to the best performance of a contemporary work, The Simon Young Memorial Prize. This went to Sasha Savaloni’s for his performance in the semi-final of the set piece ‘London Blues’ composed by Graham Lynch. Sasha narrowly missed out on a final place this time but I would watch out for him as he is one of the finest current young UK guitar talents I have heard.
Final guitar competition rounds with orchestra tend to only feature concerto performances and not solo performances in addition (there are some exceptions, for example the Tarrega competition in Spain and the Parkening in the US). It sounds as though you missed the semi-final round which took place the previous day to the final and contained only solo programmes. Pity as the semi-final performances were all of a high standard with some truly exceptional playing from a number of competitors.
Graham Anthony Devine

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:51 pm

grahamanthonydevine1 wrote:It sounds as though you missed the semi-final round which took place the previous day to the final and contained only solo programmes. Pity as the semi-final performances were all of a high standard with some truly exceptional playing from a number of competitors.
Graham Anthony Devine
Hi Graham - Thaks for chippping in here with some explanation.

Yes I missed Friday unfortunately. Not unsurprisingly however, because 99% of us have to deal with something called "work" Monday to Friday (and often Saturdays as well). Friday lunchtime for the semis may be unaviodable in terms of your scheduling, and I understand that fully, but you are necessarily limiting your audience to those people who have enough flexibility to drop work and come along. If you want an audience that is 90% students, then that's OK.

Perhaps announcing the date/time/venue well in advance (i.e. a couple of months) would help people book some leave from work?

Yes, the other finalists were great. Personally, I thought Locatto slayed on "Orpheus" but was a clear third for me on the "Aranjuez". Susani's rendition of the "Aranjuez" was sublime to my ears. Omelchak's was a real powerful performance.

Of course, I'd chop off my legs to have 5% of their talent, any of them.

Looking forward to next year...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:11 pm

If these performances end up online I hope they'll be notified here?
Louis Panormo (1838)

grahamanthonydevine1

Post by grahamanthonydevine1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes I missed Friday unfortunately. Not unsurprisingly however, because 99% of us have to deal with something called "work" Monday to Friday (and often Saturdays as well). Friday lunchtime for the semis may be unaviodable in terms of your scheduling, and I understand that fully, but you are necessarily limiting your audience to those people who have enough flexibility to drop work and come along. If you want an audience that is 90% students, then that's OK.

Perhaps announcing the date/time/venue well in advance (i.e. a couple of months) would help people book some leave from work?
I agree with this, but I should point out that I have absolutely nothing at all to do with the organisation of IGF guitar events (although I do help run a different guitar event in the musical calendar, the Royal Greenwich Guitar Festival, dates for 2017 are 25-27th June, full details to be announced very soon! :D ). I was merely employed as a juror on this occasion for IGF. Perhaps IGF would appreciate a quick email with your thoughts on what could be improved upon for next time.
If these performances end up online I hope they'll be notified here?
Hi Stephen,
I am not sure the semi final was recorded, but I definitely saw cameras in action for the final. Hopefully it will be posted on YouTube at some point...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Stephen,
I am not sure the semi final was recorded, but I definitely saw cameras in action for the final. Hopefully it will be posted on YouTube at some point...
Thanks Graham. Pretty sure I've seen solo performances from last year or previous, maybe those were finals. Anyways, always good to get a hearing of new people.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Public Space”