R.I.P Roland Dyens

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Justfun

Re: R.I.P Roland Dyens

Post by Justfun » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:49 pm

may he rest in peace.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

CGCristian92

Post by CGCristian92 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:53 pm

That is a loss for the guitar world. We should be seeing an influx of his music being performed in the coming year.
RIP.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:57 pm

very sad as well as a shock since this great guitarist and composer was relatively young in the world of music. RIP and condolences to his friends and family

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:34 am

Just 6 years ago, as some here will recall, he spent 3 very busy days on the French forum answering questions from members of all the forums in five different languages. (They can still be found here, from the fifth topic onwards, mostly with English translations in italics where needed). I liaised with him during that time and was struck by how friendly and down-to-earth he was, and by the warmth, humour, insight and imagination of his replies. It's hard to believe he is gone. A sad loss indeed.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

hilm3g

Post by hilm3g » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:56 am

Such a warm and generous musician, guitarist, and human being. Such a loss to the world.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:57 am

I remember being at a masterclass of his and being in awe of his generosity and kindness as a teacher. Of course an incredible composer and performer too. Such a great loss. RIP Roland!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:38 am

Wow, I am in shock. Such an immense talent.

RIP Maestro Dyens.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:24 am

Very Very sad. He spent a week at my house 4 years ago when he was a judge at my competition. It was great fun and he was a wonderful teacher and judge. Gave a terrific master class and it was amazing to hear his comments on players in the competition. He stayed at our place for 8 days. It was great fun and a wonderful experience for my wife and I. He did a lot of composing while here on his 100 intermediate studies and even wrote one for me. He would text me every 6 months or so. Just a wonderful person. The guitar world has suffered a great loss. He will be sorely missed.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

Gordon Guttmann
Amateur luthier

Post by Gordon Guttmann » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:29 am

A lovely human. Shocked, hurt, can't believe it.

Sprucetop

Post by Sprucetop » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:14 am

A great performer and a kind and patient teacher...I remember playing his composition "Cote Sud" in a student ensemble at a guitar festival many years ago. He later borrowed my guitar for a masterclass, (at the time I played a student level Bernabe), and complained about the action! Anyway, this is really sad news.
Last edited by Sprucetop on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Music exists for the purpose of growing an admirable heart." Shinichi Suzuki

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:40 am

So very sorry to hear.
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

JCguitar

Post by JCguitar » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:13 am

This is a very sad loss to the guitar world and to the world in general. May he rest in peace and deepest condolences to his family and all his friends. He was such a wonderful composer, musician, and performer, as well as being a really fantastic human being. His spirit will live on forever in his compositions and recordings.

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:13 am

Only 61 years old.
He really contributed something new to our ¨cg pond¨ by taking
(or re inventing) improvisation in use in concert situations.
As a person I remember him sympathetic and humble
(played once with him in his concerto en si).
Condolences to those close to him.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

chelson

Post by chelson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:44 am

Just the day before, I was still sharing this video from GSI with my family, and showed them how humorous and joyful person he was. My family know him well from his tune that I practice almost everyday.

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Roland Dyens - Two Waltzes on a 1969 Daniel Friederich ]

When I saw the sudden news this morning, I still hoped that it was fake. Unfortunately, this thread has confirmed the truth.

A great guitarist has left, but his work from his published scores, his performance and his thoughts that are being shared generously in those many videos, will forever remains. I have in fact learned a lot from those sharing and always remember him from this side of the Earth.

Thank you from my heart, Roland Dyens.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Enno Voorhorst

Post by Enno Voorhorst » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 am

I will miss him and his music. Being at a concert of Roland was sensational, he was a true musician who performed from the heart without being afraid. His playing had originality, devotion, structure, precision, warmth and love just like he was himself.
Enno Voorhorst

Return to “Public Space”