I know I'm in the minority, but ...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
razz

Re: I know I'm in the minority, but ...

Post by razz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I have heard some guitar and flute duets that I like and others that I don't like. For me, solo guitar produces the best music. Hearing a skilled guitarist orchestrate a piece of music is what attracted me to the instrument. It will always be my favorite music.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 pm

PeteJ wrote:Here's one I rescued off cassette for a friend and posted. I love it.

https://youtu.be/rIdZ_aLoGxo
Wow that sounds amazing considering you restored it off a cassette recording. Is it true that it was originally recorded on a Sony Walkman? If so that makes the sound recording even more amazing.

All that aside, it's also a very moving performance and lovely tune and proves the point that Guitar and Flute really is a wonderful combination. Thanks for sharing this.

60moo

Post by 60moo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:00 am

It all depends on who's playing the flute, who's playing the guitar, the balance, and most of all the chemistry between the two.

In my experience, the burden of "getting it right" almost always resides with the guitarist. There's a way to accompany the flautist without sounding like one is playing second fiddle. An especially fine example of this can be heard in the recording of Jota from de Falla's 'Seven Popular Songs' on the Elisabeth de Merode/ Melinda Toth album "History of the Tango".

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Agnew McAllister Duo is good.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Adam wrote:Agnew McAllister Duo is good.
Aisling Agnew will melt all your prejudices about the flute!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:31 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:
I listened to them (as well as some other suggestions eyedoc offered). Very talented, but I just find the flute a shrill, piercing instrument, especially the higher notes. Just my opinion. I can appreciate the musicianship and skill/talent, but the tone of the instrument is just not for me.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:33 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Erik Zurcher wrote:
I listened to them (as well as some other suggestions eyedoc offered). Very talented, but I just find the flute a shrill, piercing instrument, especially the higher notes. Just my opinion. I can appreciate the musicianship and skill/talent, but the tone of the instrument is just not for me.
To each their own. As you said in the title of this thread, you are likely to be in the minority on this one…..

R.V.S.

Post by R.V.S. » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 am

Paul Janssen wrote: To each their own. As you said in the title of this thread, you are likely to be in the minority on this one…..
He's in the minority of the minority... and he's in the majority of the majority.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:28 pm

soltirefa wrote:I don't like guitar and flute duos. I find the flute shrill, especially if the player isn't really good. Often I will start off liking it, but within a short time I want to stop listening. Any other oddballs like me out there?
You must be a Jethro Tull hater. :D

Actually, my wife plays flute and we do duets. It sounds great! I think some of this is personal preference. I think your dislike of flute could also have a component of poor skill and/or tone by the flutist and flute quality. My wife is always remarking on control of her embouchure and achieves wonderful tone that is a great pairing with the guitar. There are many websites that teach how to achieve good embouchure, like here. <-- Not commercial, please don't clobber link.

So before you condemn guitar/flute duets, review factors of flute excellence. Once you know the flutist is playing well with great tone, you'll get no argument from me if you invoke personal preference. But you should know the difference.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:55 pm

You must be a Jethro Tull hater. :D
Actually, I loved Jethro Tull. So your comment caught my eye. I think the difference is that the flute playing in Jethro Tull was in the context of a rock band, not a duet with classical guitar. But point well-taken. Man, Thick as a Brick was so good.

Look, I can appreciate the flute and classical guitar. Sometimes I begin to like it, but then I just tire of the sound after a time. Don't take it too seriously. It's not a big deal. Not everyone is going to favor all stuff. There are probably some things that I really like that you would prefer to put on the back burner. It's a matter of degree, not either/or.

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:08 pm

To each hir or her own. It's perfectly valid to say "I don't like X", it's your own opinion. However, to say because I don't like something, that thing is necessarily bad, and/or that I am somehow superior because I don't like something is a different matter entirely.

dory

Post by dory » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 am

Actually guitar and soprano recorder can make a truly awful combination if done badly. I have a CD that I particularly dislike-- the recorder is incredibly shrill and the guitar practically inaudible.
Dory

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

I like duos when it is written for 2 guitars. What I don't like is 2 guitars playing the exact same thing..An example is Dmitri Illaniova (sp?) and Roland Dyens both playing "Valse en Skai" at the same time...But that's probably not what OP means. I also abhor guitar/piano duets. They're both chordal instruments (redundant) and the pianoforte is usually too loud, burying the guit. I do like say, flute, vocal, banjo, triangle, tambourine, candle, toaster, coffee urn, Sirloin steak, apple, banana, and kitties with guitar...Mmmmmm..
:russa:

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 pm

I was a fan of Steve Hackett's nylon string guitar works back in the eighties. I would say he was a huge influence on my studying classical, alongside flamenco when I started taking nylon strings more seriously about fourteen years ago.

I always loved the opening track of his Momentum album 'Cavalcanti', which features his brother on flute. Magic. I would not ever close my ears to one particular set of orchestration, who knows what might be good?

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

Paul Janssen wrote:
PeteJ wrote:Here's one I rescued off cassette for a friend and posted. I love it.

https://youtu.be/rIdZ_aLoGxo
Wow that sounds amazing considering you restored it off a cassette recording. Is it true that it was originally recorded on a Sony Walkman? If so that makes the sound recording even more amazing.

All that aside, it's also a very moving performance and lovely tune and proves the point that Guitar and Flute really is a wonderful combination. Thanks for sharing this.
Yep. A walkman on the floor, and two decades later about three hours of tweaking to make it audible. The veiled sound works really well, and it would difficult to fake. Perhaps the sound matures like wine if left in drawer on tape for a long time.

Return to “Public Space”