I know I'm in the minority, but ...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
eno

Re: I know I'm in the minority, but ...

Postby eno » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

I fell in love with guitar+flute duos since I heard Steve and John Hasketts "Kim" 30 years ago. After that never got tired of listening to those duos and I'm playing some of those duos myself with flute on MIDI guitar.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C-128, Yamaha SLG200S silent, CompositeAcoustics steel-string, Fender Strat, Lineage MIDI

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Michael.N. wrote:I prefer the recorder. Somehow I think it sounds like a more harmonious combination.

Youtube

Lars Hannibal does play guitar as well, frequently with Petri.

I play with two small ensembles and have at times combined the Recorder group ( I play the Alto Recorder and the CG ) with the CG and find it a very enjoyable and indeed very harmonious combination. There are several sources to find music duets that utilizes both instruements.

tcee

Postby tcee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am

soltirefa wrote:I don't like guitar and flute duos. I find the flute shrill, especially if the player isn't really good. Often I will start off liking it, but within a short time I want to stop listening. Any other oddballs like me out there?

I have the same feeling although not with all kinds of flutes. It may be some childhood trauma as even the most virtuous flute playing reminds me of my 8 year old self playing flute under the christmas tree and bursting the champagne glasses. Lol, I can't get this sound of my memory.
One exception for me is the japanese Shakuhachi though. Probably because it doesn't remind me much of anything.

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 am

I agree on the duo. Listening to guitar/flute duos I think they somehow don't fit together. But in general I like the flute very much, especially jazz flutists Jeremy Steig and Herbie Man.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004
Yamaha SLG200S, silent guitar

Norbert Neunzling

Postby Norbert Neunzling » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

I once had the opportunity to hear a flute/guitar duo live where the flutist used a wooden flute - not a recorder, but a proper wooden concert flute. Slightly more mellow in tone and a not that overpowering in volume it was a really nice evening.
The balance between the two instruments was way better than usually with this combination, where the guitar player is forced to always play in the upper dynamic range of his instrument.
Karl Schandl - Wiener Modell - 1927
Richard Jacob (Weißgerber) Nr. 32.8./4 - 1935
Michael Gee - Hauser style no.2 - 1990

Return to “Public Space”