Where should you store your guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
apark1980

Where should you store your guitar?

Post by apark1980 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 am

I've read around a bit on this issue, and the received wisdom on this appears to be: in its case. This doesn't work that well for me, in terms of now I practice, which is at random moments throughout the day, whenever I have a spare few minutes. Probably not the best method of structured practice, but that's an argument for another day. Is it safe to leave my guitar out of its case? I've read various warnings about humidity, fret shrinkage and so on.
It's a lot of hassle to have to unpack the thing every time I want to play for 10 minutes, and I'm finding that I'm just not playing my new Ramirez that often as a consequence, which is a real shame. Do any Delcampers keep their guitars out, and have they noticed any adverse effects of this? Thanks

petermc61

Re: Where should you store your guitar?

Post by petermc61 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:02 am

I keep one or more of mine out on a guitar stand all the time. I don't live in a climate that gets too low in humidity so am not worried about cracks.

To answer your question better you might tell us where you are and how the humidity varies throughout the year.

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 am

I live in the UK, so at different times of year it can be hot or cold, and often quite damp, though the inside of my flat may be slightly different. Just now it's cold outside, but the central heating is on and off at various points in the day, so obviously that might affect things too

dory

Post by dory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 am

I played a "beater" guitar for years, so I kept it out on a stand and didn't worry about humidity, etc. I have had it for more than 30 years and there has been no damage, although that probably doesn't mean much. It sedms indestructable. I have a new guitar which is much nicer. I was told to keep it in its case with a humidifier in winter when the heat is on, altbough I have been slipping lately because I, also, love the convenience of just grabbing my guitar off the stand. You are reminding me to be more careful. I live in a fairly humid climate but nobody's house is humid when there is central heat on. That means I also need to remember to moisten the sponge in my humidifier. Ack!
Dory

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:15 am

I'm in London and the humidity in my living room is 40%. I have my main (flavour of the month) guitar next to my hifi speakers, on top of which is a dry mist humidifier. 40% is at the lower end of which I would like and occasionally during the day I would turn on the humidifier. They can be bought quite cheaply on the bay.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:20 am

edcat7 wrote:I'm in London and the humidity in my living room is 40%. I have my main (flavour of the month) guitar next to my hifi speakers, on top of which is a dry mist humidifier. 40% is at the lower end of which I would like and occasionally during the day I would turn on the humidifier. They can be bought quite cheaply on the bay.
So a room humidifier could help counteract the drying effect of central heating? Could be a plan...

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:27 am

apark1980 wrote:
edcat7 wrote:I'm in London and the humidity in my living room is 40%. I have my main (flavour of the month) guitar next to my hifi speakers, on top of which is a dry mist humidifier. 40% is at the lower end of which I would like and occasionally during the day I would turn on the humidifier. They can be bought quite cheaply on the bay.
So a room humidifier could help counteract the drying effect of central heating? Could be a plan...
One wouldn't be enough to humidify the whole room so I keep it above the guitar. I'll pm the link to the one I use.

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:36 am

How long does it take to remove your guitar from its case? 15 seconds?

Here's what happened to one of my guitars - the customer kept the guitar on a stand, rather than in a case. The probability of this happening to your guitar is small. The consequences if something does happen are not so small. In this case, a complete replacement of the top.
broken.jpg
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:44 am

James Lister wrote:How long does it take to remove your guitar from its case? 15 seconds?

Here's what happened to one of my guitars - the customer kept the guitar on a stand, rather than in a case. The probability of this happening to your guitar is small. The consequences if something does happen are not so small. In this case, a complete replacement of the top.

broken.jpg

James
Ouch! and most of us remember the small heart attack when we get our first scratch or ding.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 am

This is my solution to keep the humidity constantly at 50%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:41 pm

My decent (luthier) guitars - kept in cases, it is too easy to do what James shows above and that is a nightmare.
My main practice guitar (a £800 student model) - on a stand or wall hanger. I actually partially knocked it off its stand last night, minor ding but good wake up call.

I am also in the UK, my studio is in the garden. I bought a nice digital thermometer/hygrometer (which records extremes when I am not there) off the bay for a few pounds which put my mind at rest as regards temperature and humidity ranges. You might want to get one before buying a humidifier.

I must get some plants, I like that.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Firstly, get a hygrometer. Without that you don't know whether you have a humidity problem of not. There are many relatively inexpensive hygrometers but some are distinctly better than others. IMO the Calibre IV is pretty reliable.

Few cases are air tight so If the case does not have a humidifying device inside it the humidity level within the case will be the same as that in the room where it is kept - though the case will to some extent slow any swings in humidity.

if you use a case humidifier then there is a real benefit in keeping the guitar in its case. If you don't use a case humidifier keeping the guitar in its case will still avoid possible accidental damage.

Incidentally, in the current cold dry spell in the Bristol the RH is somewhere around 30% with the heating on, though I use a room humidifier in my guitar room which maintains around 45% (with a struggle).
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

dory

Post by dory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 pm

The idea od a garden room is nice, remind me when I have the money to rhink of such a thing. (Actually we are thinking of remodeling and a garden room in Lieu of a family room is on our list
Dory

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Solution is pretty simple:

First, buy a reliable hygrometer if you don't yet have one. Trying to guess what the humidity it is pretty futile. 40-55% RH is the ideal safe zone, though you can probably go a bit higher without much issue. If the guitar is exposed to less than 40% RH for long periods of time, you'll notice the fingerboard will shrink causing the frets to stick out, possibility of cracks developing, etc. The sound will probably change too. Also avoid temperature extremes - don't keep the guitar near windows or in direct sunlight, heating/cooling vents, etc. Rule of thumb - if the temperature feels comfortable for you, then the guitar is probably comfortable as well.

If the room where you keep the guitar on the stand is consistently in the temperature/humidity safe zone, then you have nothing to worry about keeping it on its stand, except of course accidently bumping into the guitar or dropping things on it etc. If the humidity is too low, your best solution is keep the guitar in its case or get a room humidifier that will keep the humidity in the safe zone around the clock. Either solution can be an inconvenience, so its up to you. Personally I have absolutely no problem keeping my guitar in its case and don't see it as an inconvenience at all. It takes literally 5-10 seconds to take it out and put it back in.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Just in case you have a case of low humidity, the guitar case with a case humidifier is a great solution.
Did I just mention "case" four times?
I rest my case.

Return to “Public Space”