Where should you store your guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
JohnB

Re: Where should you store your guitar?

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:24 pm

souldier wrote:If the humidity is too low, your best solution is keep the guitar in its case or get a room humidifier that will keep the humidity in the safe zone around the clock.
I agree with much you wrote apart from that bit.

If the case and the guitar are usually kept in the same room - putting the guitar in its case will not help unless you use a humidifier within the case. The RH within the case will be the same as the RH in the room.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:33 pm

JohnB wrote:I agree with much you wrote apart from that bit.

If the case and the guitar are usually kept in the same room - putting the guitar in its case will not help unless you use a humidifier within the case. The RH within the case will be the same as the RH in the room.
Your exactly right I should of clarified that. When keeping the guitar in its case, its with the assumption that it will be a humidified case
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Best place to store your guitar is in the case. I keep mine in the case and the 8 or 9 seconds it takes me to take it out of the case doesn't hinder me from pulling it out for ten or fifteen minutes. That's me, and you're not me. If you want to keep it on a stand and don't mind whatever extra risk that entails then the worst thing that could happen is that the guitar is destroyed. That's not very likely (unless you've got kids or animals running around ... if that's the case then it will be destroyed). Most likely nothing whatever will happen to it. If the humidity starts to be a problem then you'll probably notice something going wrong before any catastrophic event happens, and you'll be able to correct it by controlling the humidity. Odds are that before anything terrible happens to it as a result of keeping it out of the case you'll be wanting to buy another "better" guitar anyway. It's just a guitar, after all. Don't fill it with water or store it in the furnace and it will probably be fine. If not then you should have kept it in the case like we told you. :smorfia:
--John

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:02 pm

James Lister wrote:How long does it take to remove your guitar from its case? 15 seconds?

Here's what happened to one of my guitars - the customer kept the guitar on a stand, rather than in a case. The probability of this happening to your guitar is small. The consequences if something does happen are not so small. In this case, a complete replacement of the top.

broken.jpg

James
Ouch.did this just spontaneously happen? I've tended to keep my steel string guitars out without issue, though I understand the construction is different in terms of top thickness, bracing etc

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:06 pm

apark1980 wrote:
James Lister wrote:How long does it take to remove your guitar from its case? 15 seconds?

Here's what happened to one of my guitars - the customer kept the guitar on a stand, rather than in a case. The probability of this happening to your guitar is small. The consequences if something does happen are not so small. In this case, a complete replacement of the top.

broken.jpg

James
Ouch.did this just spontaneously happen? I've tended to keep my steel string guitars out without issue, though I understand the construction is different in terms of top thickness, bracing etc
The guitar was on a stand - it got knocked off, and landed on a footstool. It was a fairly thin cedar top, but even a thicker spruce top would not have survived unscathed.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Two words: wall hanger.

They cost about 15 bucks, and it allows you to keep your guitar out without leaving it on the floor where it ca be kicked/knocked over, etc. As far as leaving it in the case... who wants cases lying all over the house? My guitars are on the wall, and the cases live in the garage.

It has the added benefit of allowing you to decorate your house with guitars. :mrgreen:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 pm

I have central air heating and the control panel tells what the humidity is in my living room, which is where I keep my guitar in a stand. The humidity stays between 40% and 50%. I live in the Willamette valley in Oregon. There really isn't a need for a humidifier here because the humidity stays relatively constant. I have never used one, and have had no problems with cracks or frets sticking out from the sides of the neck or anything like that. Indeed, my favorite music dealer in town doesn't use a humidifier either, and they have a couple of dozen pre war Martins hanging up on the walls. In the summer time though, I will put them back in their humicases if the temperature dips below 40% just to be safe. But I remember only doing this once a few years ago, before I got my new heat pump. But after leaving my guitar in a stand for two years it finally got a ding on it in the stand. So, case is the best place.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 am

andreas777 wrote:This is my solution to keep the humidity constantly at 50%
That is awesome, very nice! :merci:

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 am

Certainly not the cheapest, but I use the Acoustic Remedy case. Keeps the guitar safe and humidity steady between 45-50. Easy to access the guitar for a quick song or two.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 am

I keep my in the case usually, as best as I can. Although, I do have a guitar stand and it makes it so easy to just grab the guitar off the stand and play. Plus, I like how the guitar looks on the stand too! I should start being more careful though, as my footstool is right beside the stand and if the guitar happened to drop to the floor it would drop on the footstool and possibly damage the top of the guitar. I should start keeping it in it's case more.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:13 am

am I really the only person who uses wall hangers?!

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 am

2handband wrote:am I really the only person who uses wall hangers?!
I confess (rather ashamedly) to having used wall hangers for my (then) two guitars for a few years in the past. (in my case the hangers were made from coat hanger wire!)

One guitar - a relatively inexpensive student type guitar - suffers no adverse effects at all and I still hang it that way.

The other (I say shamefacedly), a 1968 Hermanos Conde, is a very good guitar indeed and has Brazilian rosewood back and sides. The sunlight has lightened the colour of the sides and bleached out the signature and date on the label (you can just make out the ghost of the ink if you photograph the label and manipulate the image). Additionally the changes in humidity certainly didn't help the back. As we all know Brazilian rosewood it liable to split if you look at it the wrong way! (There were long standing small cracks which would probably have developed anyway, but being subject to changes in humidity didn't help.) - So I have learnt my lesson there.

Incidentally. the Hermanos Conde is now (temporarily) in the loving hands of Alastair McNeill and, luckily, he believes that some of the "bleaching" effect is due to the french polish being affected - so he hopes to at least partially restore the depth of colour.

(I currently use a room humidifier to maintain a RH of roughly 45%-48%. It works, but I would love to find a room humidifer that works well and is virtually silent.)
Last edited by JohnB on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:17 pm

John, I solve the problem by running a humidifier in the winter. I have guitars hanging all over my house! The problem I have now is that my girlfriend just moved in with us, she has almost as many guitars as I do, and I am running out of wall...

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 pm

souldier wrote: 40-55% RH is the ideal safe zone, though you can probably go a bit higher without much issue.
What are the risks of RH higher than 55%?

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
souldier wrote: 40-55% RH is the ideal safe zone, though you can probably go a bit higher without much issue.
What are the risks of RH higher than 55%?
Good question. 55%-65% is still safe, but you'll notice the tone become dulled with less tonal color and action could raise a bit higher. Over a long period of time you'll notice the body swell a bit. I experienced this one day while practicing when I noticed my guitar was sounding strangely inhibited with less tonal variation and it even felt a bit stiffer. I then took a look at my hygrometer and it was reading 60%+ as the humidity suddenly shot up after a rain fall.

80% humidity over extended periods of time will lead to loose glue joints... bridge loosens, inner braces become loose, etc. You'll also run into mold issues.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Public Space”