Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Henny

Re: Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Postby Henny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:07 am

hi Jorge, Happy you, like you i would never skip the precious moments with my granddaughter.
thanks for your comments.
i am looking forward to the nr 6. it has been said many times we all like to play more as 2ehandand pointed out organise your time.
since one week i use the app "music journal" to record my time for what i do every day.
very usefull app.
have a nice weekend

Henny

Postby Henny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Jonathan, I am happy you like to add your rendition of op 60 nr 19.
do you like to upload more ? i hope you do.
what i noticed first in your playing is the hesitation before a difficult passage.
as music is about the right timing for sound and silence every unintended silence gets full attention.

MattPM

Postby MattPM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm

From studies 14 onwards the tempo tends to be given so no room for much player interpretation. This makes study 15 tricky at allegro when bars 9-12 are reached. Here's my attempt:

Sor Op 60 #15 - Allegro

Henny, I listened to your #8 and it sounded great. The new mic setup gives your a guitar a much brighter tone, almost sounded steel string in parts.

Jonathon, Paul Mcartney has said Bach's Bourree (BWV 996) was inspiration for the Beatle's Blackbird, but I (and many others) reckon he actually meant Sor's #19!

Henny

Postby Henny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Matt you played it as always with ease.
Good tone, no extra noise. my compliments! :D
about the Tempo, although i agree with your view, i do not want to encourage here to play too much up tempo (and loose musicality). everyone has different challenges and we can all learn from each other.
our comments are valuable for everyone.

I improved the quality of the recording and they are much brighter now like you said but I also want to get rid of the extra noise when i record, at this moment i cannot find the reason. i need to experiment more with recording.

i decided to upload nr 09 too.
Sor, op.60 09.wma
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vinnyob22

Postby vinnyob22 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Henny wrote:Matt you played it as always with ease.
Good tone, no extra noise. my compliments! :D
about the Tempo, although i agree with your view, i do not want to encourage here to play too much up tempo (and loose musicality). everyone has different challenges and we can all learn from each other.
our comments are valuable for everyone.

I improved the quality of the recording and they are much brighter now like you said but I also want to get rid of the extra noise when i record, at this moment i cannot find the reason. i need to experiment more with recording.

Sor, op.60 09.wma

That was beautiful Henny. Nice and clean.

vinnyob22

Postby vinnyob22 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 pm

MattPM wrote:From studies 14 onwards the tempo tends to be given so no room for much player interpretation. This makes study 15 tricky at allegro when bars 9-12 are reached. Here's my attempt:

Sor Op 60 #15 - Allegro

Henny, I listened to your #8 and it sounded great. The new mic setup gives your a guitar a much brighter tone, almost sounded steel string in parts.

Jonathon, Paul Mcartney has said Bach's Bourree (BWV 996) was inspiration for the Beatle's Blackbird, but I (and many others) reckon he actually meant Sor's #19!

Matt, nice job on those triplets! Sounded really good.

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Jonathan Lamb wrote:Here's my offering, with grateful thanks to my landlord & family for putting up with all this guitar malarkey. Now to watch some TV...
sor60_no.19.wma
:merci: à Jannincke, DJ & Dick

Beautiful tone, Jonathan, and welcome to this Project. I've included you in the table of posted records and encourage to keep on posting other beautiful little pieces of Sor's Opus 60.

The table of posted records is now the following:

Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 18Feb17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jorge Oliveira on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

MattPM wrote:From studies 14 onwards the tempo tends to be given so no room for much player interpretation. This makes study 15 tricky at allegro when bars 9-12 are reached. Here's my attempt:

Sor Op 60 #15 - Allegro

Uhm... quite challenging this #15 indeed, Matt, but you did it nicely. Unfortunately I will only come across with it within three months, minimum :(. I really have to make an effort to catch up with you and Henny... :)

The table of posted records is now as follows:

Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 19Feb17.png

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Henny wrote:...

Sor, op.60 09.wma

Very nice, Henny, and a good tempo as well. I did not notice the extra noise in the record you mention in your post, but a possible source could be the ventilation system of your Mac (if it has one, I really don't know). In my case, I use an app in my iPhone to do the recording, but I have to be careful to put it in Airplane mode AND to switch off as well my PC, as the iRig microphone captures this noise as a sort of hiss, which is very annoying.

The table of record post looks less and less empty :) and it is now as follows:

Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 19Feb17.jpg

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi, all,
I am still with you in my thoughts and I have been following this thread closely. I lost my job of 10 years last week. I am therefore very busy looking for a new job. No need to feel sorry for me. My company treated me well and I am getting plenty of interesting interviews. Meantime, I have not had the time to practice. I hope to start practicing again tonight.
Aside from that, I have given a lot of thought to Henny's comment that I should play more legato. After listening to myself carefully, I fully agree and am grateful for Henny's comments. But that requires a lot of right-hand technical work. I have started. That also takes time. So I will be well behind in submitting pieces to this thread.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Henny

Postby Henny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

thanks for the latest update Yisrael,
we all understand your priorities regarding your practice time versus a new job
we look forward to hear your future contribution.

Henny

Postby Henny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:50 pm

hi Jorge,
thanks for the comment.
I was not too happy about my last upload as I found later it had too many errors.
practice makes perfect so no complains from my side just a small side note to my last upload.

about the recording: there are other topics who addresses the issue in depth. I also want to continue to improve my recording as well.

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Yisrael, sorry for the news, it's always troubling to change jobs or employer :(. But we all know that Israel has a vibrant and diversified job market, I'm sure you will soon find a new and interesting job. Therefore, take your time, we will be waiting for you to settle and have the appropriate peace of mind to return to practice :).

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Henny wrote:thanks for the latest update Yisrael,
we all understand your priorities regarding your practice time versus a new job
we look forward to hear your future contribution.

Thanks for your kind words. I have been and continue to follow this thread closely. And hope to be contributing soon.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:Hi Yisrael, sorry for the news, it's always troubling to change jobs or employer :(. But we all know that Israel has a vibrant and diversified job market, I'm sure you will soon find a new and interesting job. Therefore, take your time, we will be waiting for you to settle and have the appropriate peace of mind to return to practice :).

Jorge, thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. Yes, Israel is amazingly vibrant. Technology has changed so totally in the ten years that I was working in my current company that there is much out there that I never heard of before, even in my own field (data storage and IT infrastructure). I am having more interviews than I ever dreamed possible. I have one hard offer on the table, but the pay is not quite enough to cover my mortgage and food. They are a wonderful group, and it would be fun to work with them, but although work should be fun, other criteria must take pride of place. Everyone who works knows what I am talking about. I am optimistic and hoping to back at work before I have to dip into my last savings (which I prefer to save to pay off the mortgage).
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Public Space”