Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jorge Oliveira

Re: Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Henny:

Thanks for your post above, excellent hints, I've looked into some of the videos of Simon Powis and they seem to be quite valuable. I've looked as well into the the app Music Journal Pro, I think I'm going to order it. My only doubt resides with the built in metronome which may not be so complete as the one I'm using now, the Tempo, Thanks again (and back now to the #7... :)).

Best regards,
Jorge
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

Henny

Post by Henny » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 am

I do not use the metronome of the app music journal but for the rest the app is a very good investment. good luck. one more remark: some of the exercises I do like the picado exercise already takes me now 5 months to make progress but patience is a virtue which pays off.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am

Still have one doubt, Henny: if you start the Music Journal app, select a particular entry to practice, activate it and then switch to another app, the Tempo metronome, for example, will the Music Journal app, now in the background, keep on counting the time you are dedicating to practice the entry you had selected before? In the text and pictures presenting the app at the App Store, nothing seems to be said about this hypothetical background activity... :(

Henny

Post by Henny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 am

yes, when you set the time at 120 bpm you can practice with or without metronome (press icon) i used to practice with my own metronome so never used it but now i tested it and it works fine.

Henny

Post by Henny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am

# 13 of Op.60
Sor, op.60 13.wma
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

artdecade

Post by artdecade » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Do you think diving into Op. 60 is a good choice for a clasiical beginner like myself? Although I am familiar with the guitar, this will be my first steps into classical guitar. My major concern is that the pieces seem to get advanced somewhat quickly. I have spent the last few days going through the posts and the recordings, so I have an interest in giving it a try.
Unhindered by talent.

Henny

Post by Henny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I would say give it a try you are welcome to upload your recordings but to be more realistic your question can not be answered with a simple yes or no, much depends on how much time you are willing to spend practicing. You need to know what are the fundamentals of Guitar playing, and if you know what they are, you need to practice them daily.
if you do not have a teacher i advice you to start with the Delcamp D01 lessons.they are very valuable but if these lessons are too easy for you, continue with D02.
The first pieces of Sor op 60 are more or less on the level D02. you are right they get advanced quickly.so you may get much more feedback to improve with your playing if you follow the Delcamp lessons and upload your recordings. feel free to post your comments or recordings.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 am

Henny wrote:# 13 of Op.60
Sor, op.60 13.wma
Wonderful, Henny, well played and the tone is excellent. The first phrase is a bit demanding, but it is doable. Meanwhile, I'm still in the #7. It's already memorized but now I have to play it in tempo. The metronome is helping. I may start with the #10 as well, so to have more than one piece in the learning process simultaneously. Ah!... almost forgot it, ordered yesterday the Music Journal app, I'll start using it today.

The table of posted pieces is now as follows:
Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 25Mar17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 pm

artdecade wrote:Do you think diving into Op. 60 is a good choice for a classical beginner like myself? Although I am familiar with the guitar, this will be my first steps into classical guitar. My major concern is that the pieces seem to get advanced somewhat quickly. I have spent the last few days going through the posts and the recordings, so I have an interest in giving it a try.
Yes, why not give it a try? I've seen your profile and, if I recall well, you are familiar with the guitar for already some 20 years, although paying other genres of music rather than classical guitar. But provided you can read music and you are familiar, as I'm sure you are, with the accord positions in the guitar, with a bit of persistence you will certainly be able to play the first few pieces of Sor's Opus 60 and proceed from there (together with the Delcamp lessons Henny is also advising you to take). Of course, you will have to forget the pick and learn how to use your RH fingers in an appropriate way (with or without nails :)). Moreover, though this is not a competition, we criticise in a positive way each posted record each sort of encourage each other to proceed in these little pieces. It helps to keep your determination... :D

Henny

Post by Henny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Using my sunday for the recording of #14.
i hope people can like it or disapprove , comments welcome.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Henny wrote:Using my sunday for the recording of #14.
i hope people can like it or disapprove , comments welcome.
Well played, Henny, as usual. However, the recording itself, I think, has a bit of a reverberation. I also noticed in the record of the #13. May be the micro is way too near the guitar. In my case, I usually place the microphone some 30 to 40cm away from, but pointed to, the hole of the guitar.

With this new record, the table of posted pieces is now as follows:
Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 26Mar17.png

Henny

Post by Henny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 pm

hi Jorge,
Thanks for your feedback. with my recording I am still experimenting for a better sound or better recording. so you were right i added a little reverb which can be taken out again.
i put some LT strings instead of the HT I had before. ''Lets Learn Sor '' has many aspects like you here mentioned one of them. have a good week!

artdecade

Post by artdecade » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

I suppose I need to figure out a way to record myself! Also, would this be a good thread to discuss interpretations of the Sor pieces? I have two recorded versions (Kazuhito Yamashita and Enea Leone) that are very different. I don't want to derail the thread though.
Unhindered by talent.

Henny

Post by Henny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi Artdecade, I prefer to comment on what we upload here.please feel free to upload your recording of a Sor Op 60 piece here so we can discuss your recording, or you can comment on what we upload here. now i only speak for myself but maybe other members have the time and urge to do that.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm

artdecade wrote:I suppose I need to figure out a way to record myself! Also, would this be a good thread to discuss interpretations of the Sor pieces? I have two recorded versions (Kazuhito Yamashita and Enea Leone) that are very different. I don't want to derail the thread though.
You pose two different questions, artdecade:
  1. how to record your renditions and
  2. whether this the right place to discuss interpretations of Sor pieces by others than those learning together the 25 pieces of Sor's Opus 60.
Concerning the 1st question, well, it is simple: get yourself a microphone, connect it to an iPhone, and Android smartphone, a Macintosh or a PC and use a recording application in any of these platforms to record a sound file. In my case I use an iRig microphone. This mic comes with a Lightning USB cable that I connect directly to my iPhone. In the iPhone I use the Handy Rec. app by ZOOM as a recording app (there are others, iRig also has one). The .wav sound file produced by the app is then transferred to my PC, and there, I installed the Audacity audio editor (it's free) to cut extra silences at the ends and those parts which came out not so well and had to be repeated (no need to stop the recording, just interrupt your play and start the section again). The Audacity program also allows you to generate .wma and .mp3 files that you then upload to the Forum together with your post. Other combinations are also possible. Henny, for instance, is using an Apogee mic which he connects directly to his Mac and uses Garageband as the recording application.

As for your second question I agree with Henny. In reality, we listen to different renditions of Sor's Opus 60 pieces when preparing any piece, but tend to discuss/criticise only our own renditions. You see, we are not top players, nor teachers of classic guitar, we are just modest students which use this platform to help each other learning Sor's Opus 60 compositions instead of going it alone.

I hope to have been of help... :)

Return to “Public Space”