Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Yisrael van Handel

Re: Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Sor Opus 60, no 13

This is an easier piece, although it is not easy to get the right horizontal movement in the A part; that it, it is easy to fall into the trap of creating a boom, boom, boom effect (emphasizing the vertical thirds and sixths) rather than a flowing melody. Comments welcome.
Sor_Opus_60_no13.wma
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 pm
Sor Opus 60, no 13

This is an easier piece, although it is not easy to get the right horizontal movement in the A part; that it, it is easy to fall into the trap of creating a boom, boom, boom effect (emphasizing the vertical thirds and sixths) rather than a flowing melody. Comments welcome.
Sor_Opus_60_no13.wma
It is an easier one, indeed, and, didactically speaking, I wonder why Fernando Sor did not put it earlier in the Opus 60. You play it well, Yisrael, I have nothing to say - good tempo, clear notes, good tone. However, I don't know which edition of Sor's studies you are following, but in my Chanterelle edition there is a repeat sign at the end of the piece (measure 24), which means that the whole thing should be repeated, starting from the beginning, which you don't. Don't you have this repeat sign in your score?

With this last rendition of yours, the table of posted pieces is now the following:
Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 28Sep17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spruce, RW B&S, Tokio, Japan
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated RW B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar, Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Dear Friends:

September came to an end and it's time to publish some statistical data concerning our participation in this thread for that month.

Delcamp Forum, Sor's Opus 60 thread - Sep_2017.png

As usual, those with zero posts, posted sometime in the past but not in September. Nevertheless, their names will be kept in the graph so we all know whom ever participated in this Topic.

The graphic that follows present the daily ramp up of posts and views for the last month.

Delcamp Forum, Sor's Opus 60 thread, posts and views - Sep_2017.png

Finally, the next graph depicts the total number of monthly posts and views since this Topic was initiated in December 2016.

Delcamp Forum, Sor's Opus 60 thread - Montlhy Posts & Views_Dec16-Sep17.png

Summer is gone and the participation in this Topic has increased slightly :D. I thank you all, again, for your support to this Project.

Jorge
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar, Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 pm
I don't know which edition of Sor's studies you are following, but in my Chanterelle edition there is a repeat sign at the end of the piece (measure 24), which means that the whole thing should be repeated, starting from the beginning, which you don't. Don't you have this repeat sign in your score?
Oops. That is a repeat sign at the end. I did not realize that because there is no inverted repeat sign anywhere to tell you how far back to repeat. Did not realize that you could have this kind of repeat sign to repeat the entire piece. Learned something new. Thank you for your comments.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 am

My pleasure, Yisrael... :D. Nevertheless, now that you have mastered the #13, you may try to play it as suggested by Tom Poore in his post of Dec 14th, 2016. In his edition of the official score he puts a repeat sigh at the end of measure 8 and justifies it in his musical analysis of the piece. It seems logical and sounds well.

hgamboa

Post by hgamboa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello,

So I saw this challenge and the impressive activity that was generated, and I'm tempted to give my attempt to follow Sor's Opus 60.

I've started reading the thread but it will also take some time... Is there a resume of the major findings of the process or the best is to read all the threads?

Thanks for the enthusiasm placed on this endeavour!
Hugo Gamboa
Lisboa, Portugal

Henny

Post by Henny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am

hello All,
i need to catch up with you for Nr 16. where i left off.
for the moment i will be on holiday till the end of this month but i have never stopped playing and recording only i wanted to focus more on anylising pieces. after my holiday i hope to participate again but maybe not that frequent.
I listened to yisraels and Jorges last recordings..good to hear the progress
i reworked a long time on study 1, 2, and 3, 7 and 8 as i was not too happy about it, now i am working on op31 nr 3
like i said, i will come back here again
with regards,keep the good initiative flowing,
Henny

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:15 pm

hgamboa wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm
Hello,

So I saw this challenge and the impressive activity that was generated, and I'm tempted to give my attempt to follow Sor's Opus 60.

I've started reading the thread but it will also take some time... Is there a resume of the major findings of the process or the best is to read all the threads?

Thanks for the enthusiasm placed on this endeavour!
Hi Hugo:
Welcome to this Topic, we all look forward to your contributions. The thread is already quite long, no doubt, but, unfortunately, there is no resume. But there is a way you can look for information about posts related to any particular piece of the Opus. Every time any one posts an audio or video record of one the Opus 60 pieces, I insert it in a table and post it in the Forum. If and when you post a first record, I'll assign you a line in this table. The current state of the table is as follows:
Sor's Opus 60 recorded pieces as of 28Sep17.png
So, if you want to listen to, for instance, my (latest) rendition of the piece #4, you can see in this table that I posted it on January 25th so, you just have to locate the page containing the posts published in this date and you will find my rendition and subsequent comments from fellow members. I hope this helps you a bit to navigate this thread :).

Edited to correct spelling mistakes... :(
Last edited by Jorge Oliveira on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Henny wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am
hello All,
i need to catch up with you for Nr 16. where i left off.
for the moment i will be on holiday till the end of this month but i have never stopped playing and recording only i wanted to focus more on anylising pieces. after my holiday i hope to participate again but maybe not that frequent.
i reworked a long time on study 1, 2, and 3, 7 and 8 as i was not too happy about it, now i am working on op31 nr 3
Henny
Hi, Henny, long time no see you... :D, I thought we had "lost" you, welcome back! Yes, during Summer the activity in this thread diminished considerably as you can see in the statistic tables I published, but it is slowly recovering. Enjoy your holidays, then.
Best regards,
Jorge

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Henny wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am
hello All,
<snip> now i am working on op31 nr 3
Henny
Shalom, Henny,
Great to hear from you again. I also intend to work on Op 31 exercises as soon as I finish with Op 60. In fact, I was half-way through Op 31 before I started on this thread. But as you said, I have gained a lot by going back to Opus 60 and also from feedback from this group. Hope that you will be able to continue to participate until we finish Opus 60. Between you and me, Opus 31 is musically much superior to Opus 60; but the exercises in Opus 60 are invaluable, and I am glad that this group twisted my arm a little to go back and study Opus 60 properly.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

...I also intend to work on Op 31 exercises as soon as I finish with Op 60.---
Right, Yisrael, count me in. We could even start a new Let's learn Sor's Opus 31 together, shall we? Project, no?

Henny

Post by Henny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:28 am

Hi all
thanks for the welcome back messages.
i have limited time with all my work and my dedication to theory etc..but i wish to continue, lets see if i really can.
keep on playing

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Right, Yisrael, count me in. We could even start a new Let's learn Sor's Opus 31 together, shall we? Project, no?
Count me in. I am on board.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 pm

But, Jorge, let's have a meeting of the main players here, study the lessons learned (I mean, from running the group, not from playing the pieces), look at the high and low points, and see if we need to make any adjustments. My current thinking is that we should have opened a new topic for each piece. It would make searching easier, the backlog of comments less unwieldy, and it would bring the group to the attention of a broader audience. Another point that might be worth discussing is whether this is the right approach or whether we should join the Delcamp lessons. I would be interested in hearing other people's views.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I would be in on Op. 31 as well!
I am doing a bit of divide and conquer with the four big study collections 60, 44, 31 and 35.

There may be advantages and disadvantages to having one big thread for the opus vs. having a thread for each piece. The thread for each piece means if the threads are going in order then those of us who like to skip around a bit might be waiting for a new thread on a later piece.. that's the only drawback I can think of though.
I wonder if they could make a "let's study together" sub-forum in "Classical Guitar Classes" so we could have a place to put this without flooding a more general sub-forum.

Return to “Public Space”