Jose Sonata Recordings

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Jose Sonata Recordings

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:31 pm

ben etow wrote: BTW, I was lead to believe Juan José Saenz had been the first to record it.
Do you happen to have a copy, with the date on?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Pierre Tremblay
Composer

Post by Pierre Tremblay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:09 pm

I like very much Denis Azabagic recording on Naxos.
Guitars: Patrick Mailloux double-top (spruce on top, cedar)

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Of course Bream is the greatest guitar player that ever lived so his version cannot be overlooked. But I would like to mention a version by the foremost among the guitarists active today: Carles Trepat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWixh2bEexc

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
ben etow wrote: BTW, I was lead to believe Juan José Saenz had been the first to record it.
I will have to look for it as I never listen to that one...
I'll get back to you.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I like the Irina Kulikova recording of this. She is an astonishingly fine guitarist.
- Donnie

Muggins Simoon

Post by Muggins Simoon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 pm

To Bream I would add Frank Bungarten on his recording 'Sonata' .
2011 Mathieu Trepanier Sitka/Koa
2000 Otto Vowinkel Concert Spruce/Brazilian
1998 Christopher Dean Spruce/Indian
1995 Richard Schneider Sequoia/Brazilian
1979 Dauphin Model 40 (Japan-signed label) Cedar/Indian

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Carles Trepat has done a wonderful recording as well.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:25 pm

ben etow wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
I will have to look for it as I never listen to that one...
I'll get back to you.
I dug out my copy of the Iznaola (double) CD "The Icarus Collection" which is not entirely clear on this matter. It was released in 1995, which would seem to put it a year behind Saenz, but it includes material dating to 1990, which purely from very imperfect memory, is when I had thought the Sonata recording dated from; its the second disc, seemingly, which is the earlier, already released recording and it includes the José. I can't find a copy of the earlier release and don't recall buying it, although 1990 was the first year I met Ricardo at the summer school.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Well the first recording should be a strong point of reference, ...namely Ricardo Iznaola...
ben etow wrote:... I was lead to believe Juan José Saenz had been the first to record it.
In a book called Handbook of Guitar and Lute Composers, Iznoala is listed as having done the first recording of the Jose Sonata, but it does not indicate a date (and, I cannot vouch for its accuracy). It seems to be a nearly three-way tie, however, as Saenz's recording of it came out in 1994, and Bream's recording, although not released until 1995, was actually recorded in late 1993.

Regarding Bream's recording, if may be pertinent (for one studying and performing the piece for a degree programme) to know that the liner notes indicate that Bream made a few "adjustments" to the score in passages where he felt the original did not suit the guitar very well, although not having a copy of the score, I cannot vouch for that, either. :wink:

David Conti

Post by David Conti » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:48 am

GFA winner Florian Larousse and Nemanja Ostoich both have great recordings of this piece.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 am

ashworth wrote:I like the Irina Kulikova recording of this. She is an astonishingly fine guitarist.
Forgot to mention her... Very personal rendition worth listening.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I think Bream is always a reference, my favorite recording is probably by Franz Halász.

My last teacher, Everton Gloeden, also made a great recording using a historical Simplicio guitar from 1923. He recorded it in may 1995, which I think is before Bream released his album (Breams album date from September 1995). I don't know who actually released or recorded first, but the important point is that he was not influenced by Bream's recording as several others. Everton's recording is out of catalog, but he uploaded to his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHxxIIJV2E

About the adjustments, this sonata needs them, it is impossible to do exactly what is written. Some prefer to change a few things to make it more fluid, some try to be more faithful to the written notes. I think being faithfull to writen notes does not exactly mean being faithful to intended composer result, as playing all notes does not allow keeping some notes sustain, fluidity or articulation consistency the same way they are written. It looks like a piano composition. The choices are not so simple.

About Kulikova mentioned here, to me she is one of the best recent woman guitarists. Probably not the most beautiful face as other more regularly mentioned women here, but musically is far superior than several others, IMO.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
About Kulikova mentioned here, to me she is one of the best recent woman guitarists. Probably not the most beautiful face as other more regularly mentioned women here, but musically is far superior than several others, IMO.
Interesting how when men talk about women guitarists the looks/beauty issue always gets mentioned as well. I mean does anybody ever say "about so and so, (insert your favorite new great overlooked young generation male guitarist) "to me he's one of the best recent male guitarists. Probably not the most handsome face like the GQ modelesque Milos, the rugged bearded mysterious Marcin Dylla or the perfectly chiseled face and nose of a young Christopher Parkening, but musically far superior than several others, IMO. "

I would think at this point with so many professional women classical guitarists around today who play at the same musical level or better than men we wouldn't shouldn't even have to mention a players' gender when talking about a favorite recording of a specific piece but given by nature that we always do, at least let's judge a woman on the merits of how their playing SOUNDS since we're talking music, not how great they look onstage, on a YouTube video or on their CD album cover and website portraits. Even with today's marketing of a classical performer more focused on how they look then ever before, the double standard that is applied to women musicians is completely unfair.

I agree that Kulikova is a great guitarist, she's a better
much more interesting interpreter who plays with more intense genuine warm feeling than just about any guitarist before the
public today man or woman as if gender even matters anymore.

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Hear hear, Cipher. Agree completely

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Indeed. That last comment was totally out of line.

Return to “Public Space”