D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Aucaman

Re: D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Post by Aucaman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 am

I hate to say this, but I eventually gave up on this D'Addario system. The pouches became hard as a rock and I was never convinced they were doing their job. I've read all the approaches you guys have been using, I tried this, I tried that but, no clear result. SO !!! ..... not for me.

I am happily back with dear old Oasis Humidifiers. I understand them and they work for me.
I'm about to throw the D'Addario humidifiers in the trash

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 am

Aucaman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 am
The pouches became hard as a rock and I was never convinced they were doing their job.
The pouches are supposed to become hard as rocks. That is the indication that it is time to change them. But to each his own. My experiments with hygrometers in the case have satisfied me as to their effectiveness.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Aucaman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 am
I hate to say this, but I eventually gave up on this D'Addario system. The pouches became hard as a rock and I was never convinced they were doing their job. I've read all the approaches you guys have been using, I tried this, I tried that but, no clear result. SO !!! ..... not for me.
I don't want to appear as an advocate for the Humidipak system, but I would like to clear up any confusion. The packs do become rock hard once they have dried out, i.e. given out all the water that they originally held. This indicates that they have, in fact been humidifying the case/guitar. One factor is that when the packs are first used with a case/guitar that hasn't been humidified and which is in a dry-ish environment the packs will dry out much quicker than normal - as they have to humidify the inside of the case and guitar. Once they have done that the rate at which they dry out should decrease.

Personally, I recharge the packs before they go hard, on the basis that once they are hard they are no longer doing their job.

By the way, I said "Humidipak system" rather than "D'Addario system" because the current D'Addario soundhole pouch system is totally unsuitable for classical guitars - I use the Boveda guitar pouches.

An example of the effectiveness of the system I've attached a chart showing the RH within the guitar body (the top mauvish line), the ambient RH (the blue line) and the ambient temperature (bottom red line). If you click on the image it will open in a new browser window and be much clearer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I recently bought the two way D'Addario system thing, I just can’t get into sticking anything in the sound hole though so I stuck one under the headstock and the double bag in the accessory compartment. My house has been at like 20-27% and the Gator case, since I’ve started this(a week ago) has gotten up to 40% by the headstock so I'm convinced it works, although I have a feeling having the bags in the accessory compartment isn’t doing much except humidifying the compartment. I’ve considered losing the lid to the compartment, I dunno. Maybe I’ll check out the Boveda bags if they're smaller and go for it but that makes me nervous although I know there’s a lot of folks with spendier instruments than mine who do it.

Return to “Public Space”