The Aguado project

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
2handband

Re: The Aguado project

Postby 2handband » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 am

The project is in fact morphing into two projects. The first is that originally stated: compile a graded list of 20-30 of Aguado's best etudes. I'm including the stuff in the easy music opuses for consideration so there's a lot of stuff to plow through and it's going to take awhile.

The second is a study guide for the student wishing to study the guitar using the nuevo methodo as his/her primary method. This will include appropriate placement of the material in the exercises chapter, tips for getting the most out of each lesson, and recommendations for supplementary study. I'm doing it for my kid but I think it could be useful to others as well. I'm thinking of making it a Youtube series... it'll give me a good excuse to play with my new video camera and learn to use video editing software.

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 am

Double post
Last edited by Justfun on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 am

I would like to contribute
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

2handband

Postby 2handband » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 am

Justfun wrote:I would like to contribute

I see you have all four volumes of the complete works... terrific! Any favorites from the studies, or from the easy pieces in opuses 7-14?

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 am

IMG-20170109-WA0007.jpg
2handband wrote:

I see you have all four volumes of the complete works... terrific! Any favorites from the studies, or from the easy pieces in opuses 7-14?

This is an excellent right hand exercise
Will add the picture later but I really like the Etuden 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

2handband

Postby 2handband » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 am

Ah yes... the famous arpeggio study in Am.

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:35 am

2handband,

can I post few more works?

fred
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

2handband

Postby 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 am

Justfun wrote:2handband,

can I post few more works?

fred

Please do. You can just list them if you prefer.

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 am

Justfun wrote:IMG-20170109-WA0007.jpg
2handband wrote:

I play this piece, very nice. But why is it called Etuden 1? Has the editor of those Mel Bay books decided to call it that way? It is, in fact, a composition that comes in Aguado's New Method for Guitar (1843), Section 2 - Exercises, Chapter I (ejercicios para la mano derecha): Exercise 10 (page 12). I hate when editors decide to renumber pieces from long dead composers. There is no harm in organizing and renumbering them according to a criteria of their own, provided the original identification is indicated in each piece. I cannot agree, at all, with what Segovia did with the 20 studies of Sor (I have the book) - no mention at all to Sor's Opus/nr - to the point that, today, those studies are more known by Segovia's numbering than the original identification :evil:.

Edited to replace Study 2 by Etuden 1
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

2handband

Postby 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Justfun wrote:IMG-20170109-WA0007.jpg
2handband wrote:

I play this piece, very nice. But why is it called Etuden 1? Has the editor of those Mel Bay books decided to call it that way? It is, in fact, a composition that comes in Aguado's New Method for Guitar (1843), Section 2 - Exercises, Chapter I (ejercicios para la mano derecha): Exercise 10 (page 12). I hate when editors decide to renumber pieces from long dead composers. There is no harm in organizing and renumbering them according to a criteria of their own, provided the original identification is indicated in each piece. I cannot agree, at all, with what Segovia did with the 20 studies of Sor (I have the book) - no mention at all to Sor's Opus/nr - to the point that, today, those studies are more known by Segovia's numbering than the original identification :evil:.

Edited to replace Study 2 by Etuden 1

I agree. Looking in the bridges books, for instance, and trying to place one of the aguado studies based on the number given within is aggravating and some of the stuff credited to the nuevo methodo in actual fact came out of the escuela.

I was going to film the first part of my nuevo methodo study guide yesterday but I cut my right hand thumb while fixing an electrical problem in my house, right where it makes contact with the strings. It's not a very deep cut so I should be back in the saddle in a few days.

2handband

Postby 2handband » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Question for anyone who has a copy of the Nuevo Methodo. I'm preparing my study guide for Lesson 10. To me this level 2 piece is where the real meat of the method begins, which is why I say that the Nuevo Methodo is for level 2 students and above. My question is: do you think I'm asking too much of a level 2 student to expect them to observe the rests in measures two and three?

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Here's another fun one played by a master:

Youtube

Not sure regarding lesson 10 from the NM, though. I'll check it out tonight.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:42 am

Oops I guess I had a bit of a synapse meltdown there. Even while I was typing the word "lesson" my brain was telling me étude (most likely because I was posting the video of the Étude #2 haha). Anyways, I realize now that you are referring to the lesson no. 10 from section one and not the studies from section 2.

I think it fits perfectly for a level 2 student. I don't think the rests really pose a great difficulty - I mean, they don't complicate the rhythm. The piece is easy and it's on par with Delcamp's level 2.

While I do agree that it really starts getting interesting at lesson #10...I do also have a soft spot for #7. Why not include that one too? Or would it be a level 1 piece?
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 am

Why would the rests prove difficult? It's not as though you have to play them. :wink:
Historicalguitars.

2handband

Postby 2handband » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm

tateharmann wrote:Oops I guess I had a bit of a synapse meltdown there. Even while I was typing the word "lesson" my brain was telling me étude (most likely because I was posting the video of the Étude #2 haha). Anyways, I realize now that you are referring to the lesson no. 10 from section one and not the studies from section 2.

I think it fits perfectly for a level 2 student. I don't think the rests really pose a great difficulty - I mean, they don't complicate the rhythm. The piece is easy and it's on par with Delcamp's level 2.

While I do agree that it really starts getting interesting at lesson #10...I do also have a soft spot for #7. Why not include that one too? Or would it be a level 1 piece?

I might include #7 in the list of graded studies. But for the nuevo methodo study guide I am working on I'm starting with lesson 10 because for practical purposes that's where the method starts. There are musical examples starting with lesson 5 but they jump from one concept to the next without any kind progressive logic. When I first got the book i just figured aguado hadn't a clue how to teach beginners, but since then I have studied his earlier escula De guitarra and concluded that he did in fact know what beginners study looks like. I can only surmise from this that he didn't really intend the nuevo methodo to be used by complete beginners, and when considered in that light lessons 5-9 look like a review of concepts. Lesson 10 is where the lessons settle down and start to follow a logical, progressive sequence. If you're not ready for lesson 10 you are not ready to learn from this book.

Michael.N. wrote:Why would the rests prove difficult? It's not as though you have to play them. :wink:

Haha. The rests aren't that difficult, but it's been my experience that a lot of guitar players love to ignore rests when playing out of a chord position as we are here.

Return to “Public Space”