Isabella Selder

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
ddray

Re: Isabella Selder

Post by ddray » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 pm

She plays beautifully, but there's just SO much out there (too much?) that it's hard to focus on one player or even a handful of players for very long. I came across a blog post that a guy wrote back in 2011 about the fact that from the year 2000 up until the time he was writing there had been at least 26 different recordings of the complete Bach solo violin works. He called it the "Bach violin glut" (while also pointing out that in the same time frame over 100 different recordings of the Goldberg Variations had been released). He makes some really interesting points:

"One obvious conclusion: once, when a violinist recorded the sonatas and partitas it was a relatively infrequent event and likely to get noticed. Today, most Bach lovers have never heard of many of the above releases or artists. It's another common trend of the digital era, of course: when there's endless supply, it's hard to stand out. That, plus economic stress, could slow the future growth rate of Bach-violin-cycle supply. Which is a shame in some ways. When so many people undertake something, some of them will achieve great results. Now, I just need a few years to catch up with it all and figure out who did so."

The same goes for guitar.

eno

Post by eno » Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 pm

True but when someone really outstanding appears she/he quickly gets recognized like Hilary Hahn on violin or Irina Kulikova on guitar. Isabella is really good but imho not up to the perfection level of Irina.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun May 28, 2017 5:24 pm

eno wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 pm
True but when someone really outstanding appears she/he quickly gets recognized like Hilary Hahn on violin or Irina Kulikova on guitar. Isabella is really good but imho not up to the perfection level of Irina.
Hilary Hahn? No, no. Anne-Sophie Mutter. No wait, Sarah Chang. No, Viktoria Mullova. No, Alina Ibagrimova. Nope, Soyoung Yoon.

See what I mean? That's just a tiny sampling of the great female violinists active right now. The sheer volume of admittedly outstanding musicians is just a little overwhelming.
Last edited by ddray on Sun May 28, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 pm

In terms of clean, expressive and refined playing, I think she is hard to beat.

However, I would like to hear her play more pieces, as what is available on Youtube is too limited to say she has the variety of a truly great and rounded player.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 pm

I would like to find an album of hers...is there one to be had other than the Siccas stuff..which is great but just curious, can't find anything by her?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Not everybody gets a recording contract or has the funds to arrange somebody to professionally record and produce their work. I don’t think the market is that large to entice that many new players into professional recording.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but we might be coming at it from different perspectives. I'm not talking about her having a huge recording contract from a major label with big tour support, yeah hard to come by no doubt but ever look at iTunes? Everybody and their mother has an 'album' out. Expense is relative for sure but it's not that expensive to record solo guitar. I like her playing and was surprised that she doesn't have some music available is all I'm saying. YMMV of course.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am

Maybe we just have to wait patiently! :D

Zen

Post by Zen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Let’s not forget Ana Vidovic. I saw her play this year and her performance was extraordinary.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Heh, nobody's forgetting her & she is no doubt fantastic...but she already has music readily available to purchase.

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:38 am
Her Youtube vids of the 5 Walton Bagatelles are largely responsible for me returning to playing again after many years away from the instrument.

{mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Isabella Selder plays Bagatelle No. 1 from Five Bagatelles by William Walton]

KP
A pity Walton didn't write more for guitar. These are fabulous.

Return to “Public Space”