SouthAfrican members

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

SouthAfrican members

Postby chrispeppler » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:20 am

I posted this under 'member announcements' some time ago and go zero responses, so I am trying again here.

If you are living in the RSA, then please comment on this post.

We face some sourcing challenges in South Africa and it would be nice to be able to share information. For instance, I can't find any local dealer that stocks the Cordoba Luthier series of guitars. I have also had problems trying to source bone nuts and saddles locally, and even the MusicNomad range of guitar cleaners and polishes is hard to come by. Our Rand is so weak against the dollar that buying from Amazon or Instrument dealers is very pricey and the shipping costs are outrageous.

I am in the process of setting up a website for South African CG enthusiasts with articles, videos, and a few selected new guitars and strings for sale. I would really like to be able to gauge the level of interest.
:merci:

Laudiesdad69

Re: SouthAfrican members

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:04 am

I am not sure why you are wanting the Córdoba luthier series instruments. I had a C9 that was nothing to brag about, but if your looking for inexpensive, decent student instruments, I would check out the Miguel Rosales guitars on e - b a y. Some guy in Austrailia has been buying factory over-runs of Manuel Rodrigues guitars from china and is selling them so cheap after changing the labels in the guitar. I bought a solid top sycamore flamenco for 138 dollars US plus 60 dollars shipping from Austrailia to the US. If I would have bought it from a US dealer, I would have paid 600 dollars US.
Ramirez George Harrison 2012 SP/IRW
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Manuel Rodriguez C3 Flamenco SP/Flamed Sycamore
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Chris I live near De Aar Northern Cape.I am no Luthier but I think your proposal of a local cg site is great.
Tony Hyman

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Postby chrispeppler » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for responding Tony. I do hope that other South African also respond in some way so that I can gauge interest and communicate in the future when the site goes live.

chrisphattingh

Postby chrisphattingh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Chris,
I live in Alberton and have a passion for the classical guitar. Neither my budget and ability can match my passion, but that's OK.

Lets see where this goes.

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Postby chrispeppler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the response - I will keep you posted when the site goes live.

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:59 am

Hello, I did not see this previously: I am living in Cape Town(although not South African, I have been here for many years now) :)

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Postby chrispeppler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:01 am

Great - I will be in touch when the site goes live.

Return to “Public Space”