Composer Yves Carlin, Anyone???

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
oski79

Composer Yves Carlin, Anyone???

Post by oski79 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Some months ago there was a review in Classical Guitar magazine of a composition called "3 Tangoes" by Carlin. I purchased it and have been really enjoying the pieces. They're not difficult, though progressively so through the three pieces. It got me to thinking that instead of concentrating just on more difficult pieces, like a lot of the Antonio Lauro and Maximo Pujol I've been working on, I should also work in some simpler pieces which I could really nail down in a short period of time. This, I'm certain, has done a lot of good for not only my sight reading but my technical ability as well. I've purchased a couple of Carlin's collections called "Chats Pitres." (Translation? All I get using a translator is "Cats Pitres") There are some great melodies and fun to play pieces in the collections, as well as challenging rhythms and cadences. I think the collections are a great learning tool.

Are many of you aware of Yves Carlin? I think it would be great to contact him to get permission to post recordings of his works. I've been unable to find a way to do so.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

David Norton

Re: Composer Yves Carlin, Anyone???

Post by David Norton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 am

His YT channel is "nilracsevy", which is his name backwards. He has a great number of original pieces listed there. I think very highly of his work, and have posted a YT video (in 2012) of his "La Forêt Mysterieuse" (DZ 1498, Les productions d'Oz). In return, he wrote a piece for me in 2013, "Né pâle (Le Népal)", which is #3 in the book "Larguez les amarres" (DZ 2088, Les productions d'Oz). I would haste to add that I haven't the first clue why he would use such a title in a piece dedicated to me!!

Carlin has many collections of music available. His "20 fruits sucrés, salés" (DZ 1247, Les productions d'Oz) has been on my music stand daily for a few years now, and is my warm-up book. The titles are somewhat bizarre French rhymes using his student's names: Enrico l'abricot, Maryse la cerise, Ricthie le litchi, and so forth. #6 in this book, Marie-Ange l'orange, is a superb barré study, using barred major and minor 7th chords. Clever;y done, tuneful, and a good workout.

Carlin is Belgian, BTW.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm

oski79 wrote:"Chats Pitres." (Translation?
It litterally means cats that are making faces, are funny, but it is also a word play as it sounds exactly like 'chapitres', which means chapters.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 pm

oski79 wrote:
Are many of you aware of Yves Carlin? I think it would be great to contact him to get permission to post recordings of his works. I've been unable to find a way to do so.
I know somebody who could give me contact information. I'll get back to you.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 pm

David, many thanks for that. From what you say, oski79 may be challenged to record some of these works for the Forum. :casque:

Here is the relevant extract from the information about copyright in relation to recordings:
The publishers Productions d’OZ authorise all forum members to publish recordings of pieces from their editions on the forum. This applies only to music published by Productions d’OZ, in their edition, and not to music they distribute for other publishers. Furthermore, the permission applies only to recordings uploaded directly to the forum, as MP3, WMV or MOV attachments, and not to Youtube files. The source publication should be quoted with any recording.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:53 am

Problem solved then. I did mail Mr Carlin though, who didn't reply yet.

Return to “Public Space”