Looking for haunting/dark/contemp pieces (e.g Coeck-Constellations)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Lovemyguitar

Re: Looking for haunting/dark/contemp pieces (e.g Coeck-Constellations)

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:14 pm

julevars wrote: i'd love to have some more suggestions from you, perhaps ...also some more tonal pieces in a haunting way like Coeck's and Koshkin's pieces I mentioned
Okay, how about these two by Rodrigo:

- "Passacaglia" from Tres Piezas Españolas (the other two in the set are a bit brighter, but still have some nice dissonances)
- "Invocación Y Danza"

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh, and of course, going back in time a bit, there is the "Homenaje" by Manuel de Falla.

Another possibility is "Sarabande" by Francis Poulenc.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Tomzooki wrote:The only real downside is the tuning.
In what way is that a downside? Alternate tunings are amongst the guitar's greatest strengths. When I do my Tuesday evening acoustic gig I have 8 or 9 tunings I cycle through, and I arrange my setlist so I can get by with only retuning one or two strings at a time.

James Tranlong

Post by James Tranlong » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Jingle Bells in minor key sounds very dark...
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=109172
I also follow up on the comment about Pop Goes The Weasel in minor key. There is a YT clip of this played on a piano, and it's dark, too...

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 pm

2handband wrote:
In what way is that a downside? Alternate tunings are amongst the guitar's greatest strengths. When I do my Tuesday evening acoustic gig I have 8 or 9 tunings I cycle through, and I arrange my setlist so I can get by with only retuning one or two strings at a time.
Because a classical guitar will not hold its tuning. The strings will creep up or down to their previous tuning. The guitar will be out of tune in the middle of the piece even if you waited 5 minutes between pieces in the hopes the tuning had stabilized. There is a trick for the drop D that works reasonably well but if you have several strings that need to be retuned... I don't play steel string guitars but my understanding is that strings keep their tuning more quickly so less hassle in retuning. You would know that better!

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi julevars,

Another CD you might like is "Tiento Français" by Otto Tolonen, which has a great piece by Georges Migot called "Pour un Hommage à Claude Debussy" which is on the darker/haunting side of things. That whole album is magnificent, I think, with a few other darker morsels (including the aforementioned Poulenc piece) plus some lighter ones for contrast. Cheers!

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

astro64 wrote:
2handband wrote:
Because a classical guitar will not hold its tuning. The strings will creep up or down to their previous tuning. The guitar will be out of tune in the middle of the piece even if you waited 5 minutes between pieces in the hopes the tuning had stabilized. There is a trick for the drop D that works reasonably well but if you have several strings that need to be retuned... I don't play steel string guitars but my understanding is that strings keep their tuning more quickly so less hassle in retuning. You would know that better!
I use my cheap old Yamaha classical for these shows, and it does pretty well. I fI have to do three or four at once it's a mess, but one at a time seems to work pretty well. Typically I'll start off in standard, go to drop D for a few numbers, then go to dropped G or double dropped D depending on material, Then open G/Gm. And so on.

I should point out that I'm using the open tunings less as i get older. A lot of times I can get by without ever going further than dropped G.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm

As an addendum to my last post, I should ALSO point out that most touring professionals using multiple tunings would just bring a guitar for each and problem solved.

julevars

Post by julevars » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Altophile wrote:Koyunbaba may qualify, but it's long, and it's definitely challenging to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT8wYIPlg_s

~Sean
Definitely a must for the list we try to make here. I've been trying to play this piece for a long time now and managed to play it in a decent atleast way

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

robert e wrote:Are you aware of the "Dark Classical Guitar" playlist on youtube by CBC Music?...
There is some great stuff on this list -- thank you! Take note, julevars! :D

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Here's another vote for the Manuel de Falla Homenaje. Another piece that comes to mind is The Old Castle from Pictures at an Exhibition by Modesty Mussorgsky. And how about Joaquin Rodrigo's Invocacion y Danza?

julevars

Post by julevars » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

ben etow wrote:What about Takemitsu ? The 1st movement of Ponce's 3rd sonata maybe? Nuccio D'angelo's Due Canzone Lidie?
Takemitsu's in the woods is a piece I love. I will check the others you mentioned soon.

julevars

Post by julevars » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
robert e wrote:Are you aware of the "Dark Classical Guitar" playlist on youtube by CBC Music?...
There is some great stuff on this list -- thank you! Take note, julevars! :D
Wow thanks for the info. Indeed some really great stuff here!

julevars

Post by julevars » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Altophile wrote:
julevars wrote:Hello, as the title says I'm looking for some pieces that create a dark or haunting vibe. I've noticed that therethere isn't much guitar music of this kind which seems normal if you consider the sound of the insrument. What I mean is that for piano for example, which has more dynamics and octaves , you can find much more music ofthis style, like the russians (shostakovich, rachmaninoff, prokofiev), grieg, stockhausen , of course chopin and many more. There are though some great pieces for guitar too. Great examples are Nikita Koshkin-Usher Waltz and Armand Coeck-Constellations. So I hope I gave you some food for thought and can't wait to see your responses :-)
I think that Weiss' Ciacona fits that description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgKg9QJkNr0

Gaelle plays it in G Minor, but I'd recommend that you either:

a. Play Alice Artzt's arrangement in A Minor; or
b. Play Goran Sollscher's arrangement in E Minor, but do so on a 7 or 8 string classical guitar with a capo on the 3rd fret, which will sound in G Minor.

If you play Sollscher's version, you'll have to raise many of the low bass notes by an octave, but that holds true for all arrangements of this piece on a six string guitar. I point it out with reference to Sollscher's version simply because he arranged the piece for his 11 string Alto guitar, and you won't have that many low bass notes available on open strings.

Sollscher's arrangement can be found in the Altgitarren book, which was written for Alto Guitar:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVitl ... IHpqL4pas-

BTW, this piece was originally a lute/flute duet, and Michel Cardin reconstructs what the duet may have sounded like, which can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5S1xOyp13Q

Bridget Mermikides's wonderful arrangement of Verdi's La Forza del Destino may also fit the bill, and lays pretty comfortably on the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOaitz6ecjg

If I think of any more, I'll post them:-)

~Sean
Hello and thanks for your response. I guess Weiss brings me more an emotion of sadness, in a great way , than darkness. Nonetheless a really beautiful piece !

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 pm

julevars wrote:...more suggestions..., perhaps atonal ...
I was just listening to some Bream, which brought to mind more atonal stuff that is rather dark and haunting:

- "Elegy" - Alan Rawsthorne
- "Hill Runes" - Peter Maxwell Davies
- "Five Impromptus" - Richard Rodney Bennett
- "Quatre Pièces Brèves" - Frank Martin
- "El Polifemo de Oro" - Reginald Smith Brindle
- anything by Hans Werner Henze ("Royal Winter Music Sonatas #1 and #2" for sure)

So, basically, Bream's "20th Century Guitar" and "Dedication" albums.

Return to “Public Space”