recommend teacher in Berkeley Ca. area?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jeffrey Armbruster

recommend teacher in Berkeley Ca. area?

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm looking for a teacher; hopefully someone knows someone!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

powderedtoastman

Re: recommend teacher in Berkeley Ca. area?

Postby powderedtoastman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 am

I think somebody told me Marc Teicholz lives up in the Berkeley hills and gives private lessons. I don't know what he charges, but it could be a little expensive. I think he would be an amazing teacher though, from what I've seen and heard of him. I would personally really like to take lessons from him if that wasn't so far of a drive.

HomerB

Postby HomerB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm looking for a teacher
I live in Alameda and am taking lessons from Jon Mendle, who is based in San Francisco. It is a bit of a schlep, but worth it. He is a graduate (I believe a masters) from the SF Conservatory. He is extremely knowledgable about music, has great instincts, is very efficient with good fingerings, is easy to work with, and is a terrific player in his own right.
Randall Block

Angella 2015
Wolverton 2016

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm

HomerB wrote:
I'm looking for a teacher
I live in Alameda and am taking lessons from Jon Mendle, who is based in San Francisco. It is a bit of a schlep, but worth it. He is a graduate (I believe a masters) from the SF Conservatory. He is extremely knowledgable about music, has great instincts, is very efficient with good fingerings, is easy to work with, and is a terrific player in his own right.

Homer, Jon Mendle actually borrowed my guitar to make a video on behalf of it's luthier, Paul Weaver. So I got to meet him briefly when he borrowed and returned my guitar. He left a double top cedar for me to play while my guitar was with him; quite a contrast! and yes he's a great guy that I'm sure is easy to work with. But S.F. is just too much of a slog for me. maybe he'd come to our side of the bay if we both saw him on the same day (not likely). Umm, would you mind mentioning what he charges?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I'm looking for a teacher; hopefully someone knows someone!
In Pinole, there is a humble music store that has been there forever - Fiat Music. For the measly sum of $22/30mins, you can schedule lessons with Mr Ben Barron, protege of Rey de la Torre, and graduate of the SF Conservatory. Call them up and set up a phone conversation with Ben to see if he has what you want/need in a teacher. He has a heavy emphasis on performance skills, but can coach you on the finest techniques and theory. Also, his focus at the Conservatory was in the Romantic period, but he taught me Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical periods as well.

As an aside, he and I are performing together on 1/29 - the student and the Master. Me on my Gore, and he on his Ruck formerly owned by del Torre.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “Public Space”