Malagueña

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Laudiesdad69

Malagueña

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:01 pm

I got a beginner book with Malagueña with hopes of teaching it to my daughter. My question is where can I find a better sheet music version for myself? Theirs book is 20 classical guitar favorites (cherry lane) and the version of malagueña is only one page long and is so basic that it is almost retarded for me to play it. I am currently teaching her the Aguado's study from 39 progressive solos for guitar by Ben Bolt and she has got the first four measures of 16 total and she is doing it quite well actually. So the music is ok for her.

2handband

Re: Malagueña

Post by 2handband » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I got a beginner book with Malagueña with hopes of teaching it to my daughter. My question is where can I find a better sheet music version for myself? Theirs book is 20 classical guitar favorites (cherry lane) and the version of malagueña is only one page long and is so basic that it is almost retarded for me to play it. I am currently teaching her the Aguado's study from 39 progressive solos for guitar by Ben Bolt and she has got the first four measures of 16 total and she is doing it quite well actually. So the music is ok for her.
Which aguado study is that?

As for the malaguena there ain't much to it. It's commonly expanded upon via improvisation.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Charles Duncan did a nice arrangement in A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar, book 2. It goes through a few different variations on a motif and it's two pages long. Standard notation, no tab. Hopefully that's helpful, but there are probably dozens upon dozens of Malagueña type pieces out there.

If you're interested in that very Spanish style, you might also be interested check out Bartolome Calatayud. "The Guitar Music of Spain, Volume 1" is exclusively pieces by him, starting with the very easiest and progressing to some pretty challenging stuff. I think he's a recent enough composer that you pretty much have to buy an official volume of some sort to get a lot of his music on the up-and-up.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 pm

2handband wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I got a beginner book with Malagueña with hopes of teaching it to my daughter. My question is where can I find a better sheet music version for myself? Theirs book is 20 classical guitar favorites (cherry lane) and the version of malagueña is only one page long and is so basic that it is almost retarded for me to play it. I am currently teaching her the Aguado's study from 39 progressive solos for guitar by Ben Bolt and she has got the first four measures of 16 total and she is doing it quite well actually. So the music is ok for her.

As for the malaguena there ain't much to it. It's commonly expanded upon via improvisation.
It may be the A minor arpeggios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-9vpa3P98

There's only one other Aguado study in Ben Bolt's book.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Well, the best version of Malaguena that I've ever heard is the one by Ernesto Lecuona, but it takes advanced guitar technique to play it, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FlG2uJgY8

I had the sheet music to this one but at the moment I can't find it to provide the reference. I'm sure it's available from a variety of sources, though.

There's a nice *playable* version -- two pages in length -- found in David Nadal's excellent anthology entitled "Easy Classics for Guitar" which is published by Dover. There are many other goodies in this book, and Dover does the best music anthologies around, IMO. They have sewn signatures done in such a way that the books more easily lay open on the music stand.

You can also get it free, here (assuming the link won't need to be blocked):

http://www.*** Site blocked for copyright reasons ***.com/la-malaguena-by-traditional

~Sean

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 pm

I have a flamenco guitar method book, Juan Martin’s Guitar Method (El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra). There is a really nice version of the Malagueña in here and it's also written out in tablature format as well. I haven't learned it, but I noticed it's in there. Just do a research for this book in Google and purchase the book if you're interested. Although, this book concentrates in teaching beginners how to play flamenco guitar. As Juan Martin is a flamenco artist. There is also a CD included with the book that records the pieces throughout the whole book. I hope this helps some what!

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 am

There are many versions of Malaguena. It's origin is a Spanish dance, from Malaga, Spain.

There's one or two in the DelCamp Dxx pdfs..

F Node's big book has one near the start, consisting mostly of that E-G#-B/high E sequence.

One that's readily available, but not easy (despite the name) is Malagueña fácil by Francisco Tárrega. That starts with that familiar motif. but doesn't repeat it.

The best known long one is by Cuban Ernesto Lecuona. But his original is for piano (there is a Tube video of the composer playing it). The popular guitar arrangements take a lot of liberties, taking a few motifs from Lecuona, but playing them in a different order, and putting much more focus on E-G#-B and its variations.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:46 am

Scott Tennant put a brief but fun sounding tremolo version in the Pumping Nylon book, I forget if it was in the first repertoire book or the actual pumping nylon exercise book.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:05 am

powderedtoastman wrote:
2handband wrote:

It may be the A minor arpeggios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-9vpa3P98

There's only one other Aguado study in Ben Bolt's book.
Yes that's the one. I don't know what study number it is, but that's the one.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:17 am

Altophile wrote:
Well, the best version of Malaguena that I've ever heard is the one by Ernesto Lecuona, but it takes advanced guitar technique to play it, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FlG2uJgY8

I had the sheet music to this one but at the moment I can't find it to provide the reference. I'm sure it's available from a variety of sources, though.

Yes that gives me los of ideas. I could actually learn her version.

There's a nice *playable* version -- two pages in length -- found in David Nadal's excellent anthology entitled "Easy Classics for Guitar" which is published by Dover. There are many other goodies in this book, and Dover does the best music anthologies around, IMO. They have sewn signatures done in such a way that the books more easily lay open on the music stand.

You can also get it free, here (assuming the link won't need to be blocked):

http://www.*** Site blocked for copyright reasons ***.com/la-malaguena-by-traditional

~Sean

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 am

Altophile, I could actually play that version that Ameet did.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:35 am

There is a great version in Christopher Parkening's Guitar Method Book Vol.1
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:41 am

scottszone wrote:There is a great version in Christopher Parkening's Guitar Method Book Vol.1
I actually think I might have the Parkening book. I got it for my daughter but haven't had the chance to look through it yet, if it's the same one.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:29 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
scottszone wrote:There is a great version in Christopher Parkening's Guitar Method Book Vol.1
I actually think I might have the Parkening book. I got it for my daughter but haven't had the chance to look through it yet, if it's the same one.

It's in the back, second to last song. I like this one because it has a slow section in the middle to break up the melody and arpeggios in the first and last sections. It's 2 pages and intermediate level. An advanced beginner could probably learn it at a slower tempo.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:56 am

I'd have to double check but I think Liona's rendition is pretty close to Lecuona's piano original. The piano score is in a big Hal Leonard book of Latin American music.
Last edited by hpaulj on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Public Space”