Malagueña

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
andreas777

Re: Malagueña

Post by andreas777 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 am

I play the Lecuona version arranged by John Zaradin from the book "guitar music of Cuba" (8 pages with standard and tab notation).
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Leona Boyd's wonderful arrangement of Ernesto Lecuona's Malaguena can be purchased from her personal website for $5:

http://lionaboyd.com/store/?category=2%7C+Sheet+Music

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page. Again, however, this version requires advanced technique.

~Sean

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:07 pm

My (admittedly meager) understanding is that "Malaguena" is a term for a particular type of originally flamenco song/dance form associated with the people (probably originally mostly or entirely gypsies) of Malaga, in southern Spain.

The most famous "Malaguena" in the United States, it seems, "is a song by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona; written in 1928 it was originally the sixth movement of Lecuona's Suite Andalucia..." (quote from Wikipedia).

Liona Boyd penned a well crafted medium-level arrangement of Leucona's "Malaguena" in her book "Favorite Solos for Classical Guitar" published by Hal Leonard, and still available on e - b a y for about $10.00.

Juan Serrano composed a very different flamenco style Malaguena entitled "Bella Mara" for inclusion in his book "Flamenco Concert Selections", which is still available from Mel Bay publications.

Issac Albeniz composed a "Malaguena" as part of of his "Espana" suite, opus 165. there are numerous guitar arrangements available. (I like the arrangement that David Russell recorded on youtube.)

Issac Albeniz also composed a "Malaguena" entitled "Rumores de la Caleta", Opus 71 # 6 that has numerous guitar arrangements.

I believe that all of the above can be found on youtube.

And there are numerous other "Malaguenas" that can be found perusing youtube.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Ceciltguitar wrote:Liona Boyd penned a well crafted medium-level arrangement of Leucona's "Malaguena" in her book "Favorite Solos for Classical Guitar" published by Hal Leonard, and still available on e - b a y for about $10.00.
I have Favorite Solos for Classical Guitar and Malaguena is not included in that anthology. However, it is included in:

Meet Liona Boyd at the Classical Guitar: Guitar Recorded Versions
Published by Alfred Music (1997)
ISBN 10: 0771572492 ISBN 13: 9780771572494

I don't think this one is in print anymore but you can still find used copies online (I purchased one today).

~Sean

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Altophile, I could actually play that version that Ameet did.
Sorry, I didn't see a version by "Ameet", can you provide a link?

It occurred to me that if you like the version Leona Boyd performs (my personal favorite), then you could also do what Chet Atkins did years ago, i.e. cut out the tremolo and some other parts and end up with a satisfying albeit slightly abridged version that sounds something like this (but on a classical guitar, not a steel string, please!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIilI7cet0M

~Sean

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
scottszone wrote:There is a great version in Christopher Parkening's Guitar Method Book Vol.1
I actually think I might have the Parkening book. I got it for my daughter but haven't had the chance to look through it yet, if it's the same one.
Yeah I sight read the Parkening version in the book. It seems very simple but is much more substantial than the othe version that I have. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 am

Don't forget this great arrangement by Sabicas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Iq0Qs0GAI

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:25 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:I have a flamenco guitar method book, Juan Martin’s Guitar Method (El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra). There is a really nice version of the Malagueña in here and it's also written out in tablature format as well. I haven't learned it, but I noticed it's in there. Just do a research for this book in Google and purchase the book if you're interested. Although, this book concentrates in teaching beginners how to play flamenco guitar. As Juan Martin is a flamenco artist. There is also a CD included with the book that records the pieces throughout the whole book. I hope this helps some what!
I still may do that, the Parkening version is ok.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:55 am

Daniel Fortea did an arrangement which is in Martin Hegel's Best of Guitar Classics (an excellent collection, by the way not many such anthologies include Henze and Takemitsu. Fortea's version has a very easy (i.e. one note) tremolo section.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:04 am

RichardUno wrote:Don't forget this great arrangement by Sabicas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Iq0Qs0GAI
Thanks. I enjoyed that a lot.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Fortea's version can also be found at Eythorsson's guitar school website, search for "two spanish dances".
Dave

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 am

powderedtoastman wrote:Charles Duncan did a nice arrangement in A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar, book 2. It goes through a few different variations on a motif and it's two pages long. Standard notation, no tab. Hopefully that's helpful, but there are probably dozens upon dozens of Malagueña type pieces out there.

If you're interested in that very Spanish style, you might also be interested check out Bartolome Calatayud. "The Guitar Music of Spain, Volume 1" is exclusively pieces by him, starting with the very easiest and progressing to some pretty challenging stuff. I think he's a recent enough composer that you pretty much have to buy an official volume of some sort to get a lot of his music on the up-and-up.
That sounds like a good one to checkout and I will next month. Got to get paid. I really like the way Roy Clark plays it on his Gibson, pick and all, but I may just assemble my own with the best pieces I've seen from many players. I've seen many videos of it and nobody plays it the same, which is really cool for me, but as far as for my daughter I want to get her reading and she really can't improvise at this point. She is a total beginner. I will start her off in the really easy one and then work it into the Parkening. I think it sounds best on nylon, but you have to admit Roy Clark is a helluva guitarist.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
powderedtoastman wrote:Charles Duncan did a nice arrangement in A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar, book 2. It goes through a few different variations on a motif and it's two pages long. Standard notation, no tab. Hopefully that's helpful, but there are probably dozens upon dozens of Malagueña type pieces out there.

If you're interested in that very Spanish style, you might also be interested check out Bartolome Calatayud. "The Guitar Music of Spain, Volume 1" is exclusively pieces by him, starting with the very easiest and progressing to some pretty challenging stuff. I think he's a recent enough composer that you pretty much have to buy an official volume of some sort to get a lot of his music on the up-and-up.
That sounds like a good one to checkout and I will next month. Got to get paid. I really like the way Roy Clark plays it on his Gibson, pick and all, but I may just assemble my own with the best pieces I've seen from many players. I've seen many videos of it and nobody plays it the same, which is really cool for me, but as far as for my daughter I want to get her reading and she really can't improvise at this point. She is a total beginner. I will start her off in the really easy one and then work it into the Parkening. I think it sounds best on nylon, but you have to admit Roy Clark is a helluva guitarist.
Heck I could send you the book if you like.. it's just sitting on my shelf. It's a great book but I prefer to fish pieces straight out of the opuses of the composers I like at the moment. PM me your address and I'll hit the post office and get it going your way!

PS I went to UO! Love Eugene and miss it for sure. I was there for a visit this past summer, that was a good little vacation :)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks so much Powderedtoastman. I will PM you for sure. Let me know next time you come up here. Would love to meet another delcamper. Maybe I could buy you a cup of coffee or something.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Why not go to Tarrega's version of Malaguena? It's a very nice piece.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Public Space”