How to use Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar Repertoire Series

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Swin

Re: How to use Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar Repertoire Series

Post by Swin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 pm

hoppy wrote:
Swin wrote:The audition requirements at the local university where I live include Segovia scales
Why would a university ask prospective students to waste their time with his outdated approach to scales?
Tried and true, perhaps?

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 am

I agree that with the above sentiments that the various newer editions (and the requirement) are problematic. It's a business decision, one that does not favor the instructors or students. Although, I do appreciate some new repertoire, and the occasional improved fingerings.

The Guitar Series is an excellent resource. The best thing to do is purchase the Guitar Syllabus.

They also do not publish any accompanying material, though it's not too difficult to create a curriculum. (The Shearer books are just fine.)

If RCM wanted to really create something truly useful (and in turn, generate more sales), they would publish lesson books to go along with their repertoire and studies ones and the technique book.

I learned with Sagreras, which is very good, of course. But, it creates gaps if there is no additional material.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Swin

Post by Swin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 pm

I went back to the website and read the requirements again which allow for more variety than my original post...

"Auditions must include two solo works. Suitable selections include, but are not limited to, works from the Royal Conservatory series volumes 4 and up, or studies by Sor, Carcassi and Brouwer. The first four scales from the Segovia edition of diatonic major and minor scales, or other fingerings of scales in two and three octaves are also required."

So there are other options...

Return to “Public Space”