Best Apps for guitar players?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
boguz

Best Apps for guitar players?

Post by boguz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:55 am

Just wondering what kind of Guitar/Music related Apps you use.

Maybe a tunner? Maybe a recorder? Maybe something crazy?

I'd love to know about it!
:casque:

Alan Green

Re: Best Apps for guitar players?

Post by Alan Green » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 am

I have tuner, metronome and chord dictionary apps along with a multi-track recording app. I've never used the recording app; the others are surely essential.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 am

I really like Pro Guitar Tuner (JR Innovation AB), I feel like sometimes it works better than actual tuners. Not very aesthetically pleasing, though. Looks kinda... like 90's web design. Not that it matters, since the tuning itself works great.

I also have sheet music apps that automatically change the page and let you do annotations. Though I get the feeling that most people wouldn't want to look at sheet music on a tiny phone screen. They're really meant for tablets.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 am

Tuner Pro by Witbosoft (obviously a tuner; very good)
forScore (sheet Music Reader, allows use of Bluetooth page turner)
DAW multitrack (simple looking but very powerful recording app)
Notion (notaion app)
Tempo (Basic Metronome)
Time Guru (very sofisiticated Metronome for complicated rythmical structures)
iTablaPro (extremely well thought out tabla and tampura accompaniament)

The first two I use always; the others according to Need.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 am

I have cleartune on my smartphone. Very precise tuner, some say the best you can get on the mobile market.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 am

Hi,

This Guitar Tuner from Emre Turgay works best for me. Stable read out and good precision. The latest release is reasonably well featured, apart from not being able to select a concert pitch. I have tried four others, which I found from inferior to unusable.

I use the Altamira tuner as a Metronom. It is not terribly stable, crashes frequently, but I find it's interface better than the other Metronom app I tried. The tuner part of this one is inferior to the above.

Hope this helps.

J.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 am

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:I really like Pro Guitar Tuner (JR Innovation AB), I feel like sometimes it works better than actual tuners. Not very aesthetically pleasing, though. Looks kinda... like 90's web design. Not that it matters, since the tuning itself works great.
Hi,

Tried this yesterday evening and found it unusable. I tried a few of these apps and this is by far the worst for me. The room was reasonably quiet. I am a bit puzzled why experience can be so different. I actually wanted to like it, since this is the only tuner app I have where I found a way to select a concert pitch.

J.

boguz

Post by boguz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:31 am

i just found an App called Quadro (www.quadro.me).
You can set it up to controll your software or even make actions.
You create a button and assign to it a function.

I am using it on my iPad to controll Sibelius and i am loving it.
=)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Another vote for Cleartune; and I find forScore very useful for storing sheet music in pdf format.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:I really like Pro Guitar Tuner (JR Innovation AB), I feel like sometimes it works better than actual tuners. Not very aesthetically pleasing, though. Looks kinda... like 90's web design. Not that it matters, since the tuning itself works great.
Hi,

Tried this yesterday evening and found it unusable. I tried a few of these apps and this is by far the worst for me. The room was reasonably quiet. I am a bit puzzled why experience can be so different. I actually wanted to like it, since this is the only tuner app I have where I found a way to select a concert pitch.

J.
Hmm. I'm using Android, seems to work fine. If you're on Android too maybe check the permissions? After Marshmallow (iirc) apps need permissions to record sound.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I have Cleartune but my favorite is Tunable (Android) which also has a built-in metronome. For managing my practice time, I like Time Timer.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I use, on my iPhone:
  1. Tempo Pro as a metronome,
  2. HandyRec. from ZOOM as a recorder (and Audacity in my PC to edit the resulting audio file),
  3. iRig Recorder as a recorder (don't use it that much) and
  4. Theory which provides some basic knowledge on music theory.
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 pm

guitartuna app by yousician. the free version. its sleek and worth a look.. lots of features and a built in metronome too. the interface is modern looking.

allchords app by mv2 studio. i find this easy to navigate, and as a quick reference when needed, which is often :)

another basic little app is, acordes by lacuerda. its a compilation of songs in spanish, lyrics, scores, tabs etc. for anyone interested in that type of thing it is really cool. my fave muso is Silvio Rodriguez and the app seems to have his full catalogue... am really grateful to the builders of this app as it saves time from googling here and there and Silvio songbooks in paper that have tabs etc are not easy to source.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Sharon Vizcaino wrote: Hmm. I'm using Android, seems to work fine. If you're on Android too maybe check the permissions? After Marshmallow (iirc) apps need permissions to record sound.
I am on iOS, that might be it - perhaps it deserves a second chance.

montana

Post by montana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 am

I also have sheet music apps that automatically change the page and let you do annotations. Though I get the feeling that most people wouldn't want to look at sheet music on a tiny phone screen. They're really meant for tablets.
I'll second you Robert. Anything electronically technical,your the man.

Return to “Public Space”