Best Apps for guitar players?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
joachim33

Re: Best Apps for guitar players?

Post by joachim33 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 am

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
joachim33 wrote:
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:I really like Pro Guitar Tuner (JR Innovation AB), I feel like sometimes it works better than actual tuners. Not very aesthetically pleasing, though. Looks kinda... like 90's web design. Not that it matters, since the tuning itself works great.
Hi,

Tried this yesterday evening and found it unusable. I tried a few of these apps and this is by far the worst for me. The room was reasonably quiet. I am a bit puzzled why experience can be so different. I actually wanted to like it, since this is the only tuner app I have where I found a way to select a concert pitch.

J.
Hmm. I'm using Android, seems to work fine. If you're on Android too maybe check the permissions? After Marshmallow (iirc) apps need permissions to record sound.
As noted before I am using iOS. They just released an update 1.0.6, fixing algorithmic issues for a number of iPhones. It is a lot better now. This perfectly explains the different experiences we had with this.

I still need to see whether or not I switch.

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 pm

The best tuner I've found is iStroboSoft, by Peterson. Only on an iOS platform, I think. It's extremely versatile, allows pitch changes, choice of different temperaments, etc. It seems dead accurate and I've used it in a fairly noisy environment w/out difficulty. Also, another vote for Pro Metronome.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:21 pm

-MusicJournal for keeping track of practice time. Built in metronome to track progress towards tempo goals. Organize pieces into folders: new, etudes, repertoire, recital programs, or whatever.
-GuruTimer to track progress towards your 10,000 hour quest to virtuosity.
-MusicMemos for quick recording of snippets or whole songs.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Functional Ear Trainer is fantastic. Has transformed my listening capabilities in terms of intervals/scale tones. Note - I was starting from a low baseline so if you already have a good ear I expect it won't produce same transformation.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:I use, on my iPhone:
  1. Tempo Pro as a metronome,
  2. HandyRec. from ZOOM as a recorder (and Audacity in my PC to edit the resulting audio file),
  3. iRig Recorder as a recorder (don't use it that much) and
  4. Theory which provides some basic knowledge on music theory.
To add to my list above, I acquired Music Journal Pro a couple of days ago, and I'm using it already. As an archiver of your practice time it is indeed sophisticated and quite useful. It's a pity its inbuilt metronome is so basic - it is useless, just gives you a "tick" sound for each beat, as if it were a mechanical one.
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated Rosewood B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood B&S, Banyoles (Catalonia), Spain

AndyPurkis

Post by AndyPurkis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I like using tenuto can be found on musictheory.net It provide music note and chord identification exersizes, fretboard note training and ear exersizes. I love it

Asa Guitar

Post by Asa Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm

I always have GuitarTuna in my phone. That's a good tuner app i ever know. It's exactly tuner like what you hearing.
1976 Flamenco Masaru Kohno no. 20 Spruce/Cypress
1958 Masaru Kohno

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Asa Guitar wrote:I always have GuitarTuna in my phone. That's a good tuner app i ever know. It's exactly tuner like what you hearing.
The problem with tuner apps on your iPhone or Android smart phone is that they are prone to be disturbed by ambient noise. I use the D'Addario NS Micro Tuner. It is not an app, though. Instead, it's a small device that you clip in the guitar head and just leave it there. It senses directly the sound waves present in the instrument and shows the dominant one it in a minuscule screen. So, you can be in any noise environment and still be able to tune your guitar. From my experience I can say that it is quite precise in its measurements. I have one such tuner fitted permanently in each one of my two guitars.
D'Addario Micro Tuner.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated Rosewood B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood B&S, Banyoles (Catalonia), Spain

Asa Guitar

Post by Asa Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Of course, Mr Jorge. I can't tunning the guitar in noise environmental. But the app in my phone will have useful when i nuts leave it in home. :)
1976 Flamenco Masaru Kohno no. 20 Spruce/Cypress
1958 Masaru Kohno

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Anyone use gStrings tuner by cohortor.org on their Android phone?

I find it to be as accurate as my clip on Korg tuner and it works even if the TV is on and your phone's mic is close to and facing the guitar. What is really nice on the gStrings app that the Korg does not have is that it displays the frequency of the reference note and also the actual frequency of the string being tuned. It also displays in cents. With this set of features, gStrings is excellent for intonation work on top of being just a tuner.

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 pm

I use an iPad with forscore to read and annotate shhet music. I turn pages with a Bluetooth foots witch.

I can recommend the tenuto app for practicing music theory/sight reading

dory

Post by dory » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:26 pm

I like the tiner and metronome on Guitar Toolkit.
Dory

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 pm

I love the app Tenuto. Has many customizable exercises for guitar; ear training, fretboard memorization and the like. It is also available for free on your computer at musictheory.net

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Been using "The Metrenome" app by Soundbrenner and have found it to be my favorite so far as metronomes go. Attractive, intuitive, simple and stable.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I really like Cleartune as an app. Another app I used for the majority of time is Forscore. I read all my music and make edits through my iPad. And lastly, I like to use iReal book; it's a good practice tool for working out jazz concepts.
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

Return to “Public Space”