Best Apps for guitar players?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guido

Re: Best Apps for guitar players?

Post by Guido » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:43 pm

This is a fun question, will try some of the apps mentioned. I have tried a lot of tuner apps and am really pleased with 'Tunable'. Really allows me to tune my guitar the best, definitely worth a try! It's more accurate than any tuner I've ever tried.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Guido wrote:This is a fun question, will try some of the apps mentioned. I have tried a lot of tuner apps and am really pleased with 'Tunable'. Really allows me to tune my guitar the best, definitely worth a try! It's more accurate than any tuner I've ever tried.
I'm not sure that it's any more accurate than the others, but I keep using it because it's visualization is so practical, almost fun to use. You can easily see where the note decayed before you have to pluck the string again, for starters. It gives you a visual history of your tone instead of a real-time needle reaction, which I think is brilliant.

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Hotsoup wrote:
Guido wrote:This is a fun question, will try some of the apps mentioned. I have tried a lot of tuner apps and am really pleased with 'Tunable'. Really allows me to tune my guitar the best, definitely worth a try! It's more accurate than any tuner I've ever tried.
I'm not sure that it's any more accurate than the others, but I keep using it because it's visualization is so practical, almost fun to use. You can easily see where the note decayed before you have to pluck the string again, for starters. It gives you a visual history of your tone instead of a real-time needle reaction, which I think is brilliant.
Exactly, that's what makes it feel really responsive and in my experience easy to tune my guitar well.

DavidM1

Post by DavidM1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:51 pm

i tend to use a couple of different tuning apps. My current favourites are InsTuner and tc electronic's PolyTune.

InsTuner has various displays depending on whether you need strobe, quick info, pitch history etc. Lots of detail and flexibility. It offers different temperaments like Cleartune but with a much nicer interface.

PolyTune is simply a pleasure to use. They slow the needle down when it is close to pitch, which takes care of the fluctuations so it is always quick and simple. In strobe mode it tunes to within a couple of cents so it is noticeably more precise than most uncomplicated tuners.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

I use the Metronome Pro app on my iPhone. That's not so interesting but what is more interesting for me is that I realized that I can use just one of my Apple AirPods to listen to the metronome click, or human voice if you like, and still be able to hear my playing well.

I never got along well with trying to listen to just one wired earphone while playing, and the vibrating pod from my Peterson metronome presents the same problem of having to snake a wire somewhere but listening to a metronome with a wireless ear phone is a joy!

Stephen.Verderber

Post by Stephen.Verderber » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I use a metronome with my iPhone by GLP music. The graphic shows a old-time pendulum type metronome with the slider, you adjust the slider for BPM, works pretty good, easy to use.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 pm

I like DaTuner on Android.

The display is bright and uncluttered - though a bit busier with strobe mode turned on. So works well on an older (4.2) phone as well as on a tablet.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Pitchlab with its strobe.

tothebroccolifields

Post by tothebroccolifields » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 pm

As far as tuners go, I like 'Tuner-Pitched' (from the android market). I play on a shorter scale guitar with gut strings, and it allows you to define concert pitch.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:42 pm

That reminds me, iStroboSoft from Peterson.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:40 pm

hoppy wrote:Functional Ear Trainer is fantastic. Has transformed my listening capabilities in terms of intervals/scale tones. Note - I was starting from a low baseline so if you already have a good ear I expect it won't produce same transformation.
+1

Still working through the modules it but it has already refined my ear (or maybe more accurately my understanding of my ear) and changed how I perceive pitch and intervals.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm

robert e wrote:
hoppy wrote:Functional Ear Trainer is fantastic. Has transformed my listening capabilities in terms of intervals/scale tones. Note - I was starting from a low baseline so if you already have a good ear I expect it won't produce same transformation.
+1

Still working through the modules it but it has already refined my ear (or maybe more accurately my understanding of my ear) and changed how I perceive pitch and intervals.
Are you using the version on Windows or Android? I only have Android, (got the free version) yesterday and been fooling around with it. It plays the exact same chord pattern every time followed by a series of random notes that you have to identify and gives a score afterwards. I got 100% on the major and minor scales but had trouble with the chromatic scales and got around 80%, Does the paid version do more than that and is it worth it?

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I want an iOS app that shows me a bar of music at a time and moves to the next automatically at the set tempo, the idea being that you play the one you've just seen while taking in the next, then play that one when looking at the next. I'm sure this would improve my sight-reading. Is there anything out there along these lines?

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

iReal B

robert e

Post by robert e » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
robert e wrote:
+1

Are you using the version on Windows or Android? I only have Android, (got the free version) yesterday and been fooling around with it. It plays the exact same chord pattern every time followed by a series of random notes that you have to identify and gives a score afterwards. I got 100% on the major and minor scales but had trouble with the chromatic scales and got around 80%, Does the paid version do more than that and is it worth it?
I haven't tried the Windows version. I use the android version most. You should have a bunch of options even on the free android version, for example whether the resolution is played after your answer, and what type, and whether intermediate notes are accelerated, and also options regarding the cadences, as well as what system of ear training you'd like to learn. Did you check? Note that there are global options, as well as options for each module.

For those who aren't familiar with Functional Ear Trainer, an oversimplified description might be that it aims to teach notes by their role in a key, as opposed to learning them as absolute pitches or as intervals. A much more thorough explanation can be found in the free OS X app [EDIT: OS X and Windows apps are identical; both use the Adobe AIR platform.]

The free OS X [and Windows] version is not nearly as slick, but it's easier to customize right off the bat, and the tutorial is much more extensive, more explanatory, and unlike the Android version, it's interactive. I recommend people start there before moving on to the mobile apps, at least if they want a better understanding of the theory behind the training and a more guided introduction to the practice. The mobile apps, IMO, are best suited for practicing what is taught in lesson format in the free computer apps.

@Steve, can you access Practice mode? I can but I don't remember if that's because I bought the instrument plug-ins. Practice is where you can create and customize your own levels, even choose specific notes to be included or left out of the test. There's also a mode where you're dictated a sequence of notes to write down, customizable for how many notes, how many can be played together, cadence clues, tempo.

On android you can pay for specific features. Press the "shop" button to learn about them. So far, I've I bought more instruments. I think it cost $5. I can change instruments, pick different cadences (or just the I chord, or just the tonic note), choose cadence tempo and how often the cadence is played, see statistics by note, and a few other options, including how resolutions are handled. In Practice mode I can also make my own practice modules, as I described above, and I seem to have access to Dictation as well.

I haven't paid for Listener Mode or Melodic Dictations. Listener mode is non-interactive and you can even turn the screen off (so you can practice while driving, say, or exercising, or while resting your eyes). There's a demo built into the free version. I don't know what more I'd get out of unlocking Dictation mode, since, as I said, it seems to be active in Practice mode for me. [EDIT: There is an interactive Dictation module for pay, and a similar non-interactive version in Practice mode.]

I think the $5 was well worth it for what I get out of the Android version. However, see above re the computer versions.

Return to “Public Space”