Best Apps for guitar players?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
thesixthfret

Re: Best Apps for guitar players?

Post by thesixthfret » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:39 am

I'd like to add that the Tempo Advanced metronome is really fantastic. You can subdivide easily by rotating a circle, put it into polyrhythm mode, change accents with the push of a button, and change the settings to say numbers ("1-2-3-4") instead of just clicks. It also keeps great time and I find it to be indispensable and much better and more versatile than the standard Tempo metronome app.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:22 pm

This is a great thread! I am looking for various apps for classical guitarists! I will bookmark this post! Thank you.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 am
Jorge Oliveira wrote:I use, on my iPhone:
  1. Tempo Pro as a metronome,
  2. HandyRec. from ZOOM as a recorder (and Audacity in my PC to edit the resulting audio file),
  3. iRig Recorder as a recorder (don't use it that much) and
  4. Theory which provides some basic knowledge on music theory.
To add to my list above, I acquired Music Journal Pro a couple of days ago, and I'm using it already. As an archiver of your practice time it is indeed sophisticated and quite useful. It's a pity its inbuilt metronome is so basic - it is useless, just gives you a "tick" sound for each beat, as if it were a mechanical one.
I updated recently the Operating System of my iPhone to iOS 11 and, unfortunately, Music Journal Pro does not have a compatible version. Indeed, the last update of this app dates back to 2013... :( :evil:! It won't be upgraded to iOS 11 then, I guess. Anybody knows of any suitable alternative?
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, RW B&S, JP
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW B&S, Banyoles, ES

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm
Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 am
Jorge Oliveira wrote:I use, on my iPhone:
  1. Tempo Pro as a metronome,
  2. HandyRec. from ZOOM as a recorder (and Audacity in my PC to edit the resulting audio file),
  3. iRig Recorder as a recorder (don't use it that much) and
  4. Theory which provides some basic knowledge on music theory.
To add to my list above, I acquired Music Journal Pro a couple of days ago, and I'm using it already. As an archiver of your practice time it is indeed sophisticated and quite useful. It's a pity its inbuilt metronome is so basic - it is useless, just gives you a "tick" sound for each beat, as if it were a mechanical one.
I updated recently the Operating System of my iPhone to iOS 11 and, unfortunately, Music Journal Pro does not have a compatible version. Indeed, the last update of this app dates back to 2013... :( :evil:! It won't be upgraded to iOS 11 then, I guess. Anybody knows of any suitable alternative?
This is annoying and frustrating. I have several apps that I have relied on over time to log information. By this sudden obsolescence makes these apps worthless and the data collected locked, unless you backed up, and then only in delimited files. Is this a strategy by apple to clean out the files of old apps?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:33 pm

I play with Guitar FBA on my iPad. It is supposed to help learn notes on the fretboard. My boredom level hits pretty fast on it, but it was free and is helpful in small doses.
I also use Pro metronome by EUM Labs on my iPad. I paid for an upgrade that gives me a nice practice mode and enables it to give me more subdivisions - a lot better for a rhythmically challenged beginner like me. Unfortunately the paid version didn’t follow to my new iPad because it doesn’t work on the new iOS upgrade. My old iPad is now a very expensive metronome as I am not going to upgrade its iOS system.
We can’t blame the developers of the Apps for this - it is an Apple thing. My son has written an App on Apple (and Android) that he had to upgrade for the new iOS. It cost him more than he would ever make back as he had to buy both an Apple computer and a mobile device that would run on iOS 11 to do it. So if we don’t see some of our favourite Apps being upgraded that may be why. A lot of hobbyist developers are probably like my son and prefer Linux. It is a lot easier for him to write Apps for Windows than for Apple!

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Been using Sight Singing for a few days and seems good for learning to sight sing so I can read scores better as I've never done any proper solfege before.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm
You could look at Now Then - I have not upgraded but would think it is compatible with iOS 11. It is not designed specifically as a practice log but works pretty well (I never logged down to individual piece level, which is what Music Journal Pro seems to expect you to do, but you could set it up that way if you wanted).

Return to “Public Space”