Classical guitar; audience?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
malc laney

Re: Classical guitar; audience?

Post by malc laney » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 pm

eno also forgot perfume , if only the CG was as loud!

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am

I agree that classical guitar is boring to the masses, but on a positive side, we also have an advantage. Since we know how to read music, we can play other genre especially fingerstyle guitar. We can play jazz, blues and even flamenco if we pursue it. It's also a big plus if we know how to play by ear (like me hehe).

There are fingerstyle guitarist on youtube that started in classical guitar. Their arrangements are written on notation and tablature.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:30 pm

I meant to do this before but our frst concert we had 15 in the audience. Four others were supposed to come but illness/ emergencies prevented it. We made £55 profit so all OK I was worried about making a loss.

The second concert we had more I think around 25. This one we made £95 profit. We were only asking for donations.

Another one is planned for October and the person organising it thinks he'll get between 50 and 60 time will tell but I think he is being very hopeful.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Problem of classical guitar audience in general and in the West in particular - it is viewed as a kind of technical sport discipline with limited amount of repertoire and precise repetition of technical and interpretive aspects of craft. Most of the performers doing it look really great as a sportsmen/technicians, but really lacking faith in music which they do...Music was born not as a sport but as a way to communicate passion, love, misery, suffering, happiness, natural and supernatural things...
yet classical guitar concert is normally more about exactness of score and technique, amount of mistakes etc. all performers careers build around competitions and judgments, therefore more sport like ... but this sport naturally has very limited appeal to general audience...certainly most guitarists will argue that this is because of lack of knowledge of classical guitar music and even some lack of "Culture" , but people (majority) without knowledge of these nuances could feel passion and believe and really attracted to certain universal symbols
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:30 am

I agree that classical guitar playing, and guitar playing in general, has become something of a sport. Rather than be a means to communicate a feeling or emotion, it is solely, in some cases, merely about pushing technical limits. And it's not just classical guitar where this happens. You have rock music, with your Malmsteens and the like. Jazz fusion players like DiMeola playing with Paco is another example. It's like a competition, and that kind of music gets boring. In the states, there is a general lack of classical music culture. Music education is being dropped by schools, in favor of keeping sports like football. They would rather kids learn how to live with head injuries than learn an instrument, which teaches much more discipline than learning how to tackle someone. I think sports are a waste in general, but most people don't. What we have in the states is baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and muscle cars. And that is about the extent of American culture, that and not even Rock-and-roll, because the best rock music is British.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:21 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm
Problem of classical guitar audience in general and in the West in particular - it is viewed as a kind of technical sport discipline with limited amount of repertoire and precise repetition of technical and interpretive aspects of craft. Most of the performers doing it look really great as a sportsmen/technicians, but really lacking faith in music which they do...Music was born not as a sport but as a way to communicate passion, love, misery, suffering, happiness, natural and supernatural things...
yet classical guitar concert is normally more about exactness of score and technique, amount of mistakes etc. all performers careers build around competitions and judgments, therefore more sport like ... but this sport naturally has very limited appeal to general audience...certainly most guitarists will argue that this is because of lack of knowledge of classical guitar music and even some lack of "Culture" , but people (majority) without knowledge of these nuances could feel passion and believe and really attracted to certain universal symbols
Great post Andrei! :) I agree with you.

It's very skewed to being a pseudosport, rather than something that touches our common humanity. Actually, my personal impression of the great composers and musicians of past centuries, is that they would have agreed with you too! They were not only highly skilled at what they were doing, but they also communicated, with stunning effectiveness. I think some contemporary composers, at least, only manage the former - and we are all the poorer for it!

I want to add, I'm so pleased you've decided to stay. Your posts are different to some, but wonderfully refreshing! :D
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:13 pm

We don't know how accurate past players were - or how they played

However, Segovia is a very good link with the past. He was born in the 19th century, and inherited the approach of that era - his style of playing was probably not ultra accurate by today's standards, but the way he played was very expressive and romantic and used much variety of tone colour.

Another obvious example is Julian Bream

Bream would not be a finalist in a major competition today (if he played like he did) because he was too unpredictable and did not have robotic accuracy.

However, judging by most people on this forum, he must surely be almost everybody's favourite player.

What I'm saying is that even for guitar freaks like us, modern playing can be a bit of a turn off. I'm in agreement with other recent posts that state the same.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am

Regarding audiences for classical guitar, I think one thing that makes a difference is under what auspices the performance is arranged.

I recently played at a National Trust property (an organisation in the UK that manages historic buildings and estates, on behalf of the nation) and it was nice because the visitors were very pleasant and showed a lot of interest.

I also did a lunchtime concert in an abbey and was fortunate, because there were well over 50 in the audience. Of course, I wasn't counting myself, but one friend said there could have been as many as 75 and someone else said 100! I was quite pleased, because I thought that wasn't bad going for an unknown classical guitarist.

Of course, it helped that both events were arranged by a big festival, however, rightly or wrongly, I do also find myself wondering whether it had anything to do with me, personally, or the way I am approaching CG performance, I think from a slightly different angle to most, if not everybody.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 am

lucy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am
Regarding audiences for classical guitar, I think one thing that makes a difference is under what auspices the performance is arranged.

I recently played at a National Trust property (an organisation in the UK that manages historic buildings and estates, on behalf of the nation) and it was nice because the visitors were very pleasant and showed a lot of interest.

I also did a lunchtime concert in an abbey and was fortunate, because there were well over 50 in the audience. Of course, I wasn't counting myself, but one friend said there could have been as many as 75 and someone else said 100! I was quite pleased, because I thought that wasn't bad going for an unknown classical guitarist.

Of course, it helped that both events were arranged by a big festival, however, rightly or wrongly, I do also find myself wondering whether it had anything to do with me, personally, or the way I am approaching CG performance, I think from a slightly different angle to most, if not everybody.
do you mean that they saw the programme advertised beforehand and they liked what they saw?
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 am
lucy wrote:

do you mean that they saw the programme advertised beforehand and they liked what they saw?
I don't know it was that, specifically, as I only put it on my Facebook page the night before and the only page that "shared" it was the Southampton CG Society.

However, the Romsey Festival website had all events listed for a few months beforehand and the pages with my events on had links to my website and Facebook page, from which people could have found my YouTube videos. I know at least some people viewed my online stuff, because they mentioned it to me, or contacted me. The point is people could have got an idea of the type of thing I was playing from that.

Apart from that, it's difficult to say exactly why people came, I think I gained some "credibility" from the fact they were Romsey Festival events.

But, what I do know is I went down well. I was very pleased because I sold 20 CDs over the four events, during that two week period, that includes The Beggars Fair, which was something separate.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:30 am
... What we have in the states is baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and muscle cars.
Whaaaat...? You're living in a fantasy world, my friend! Maybe in 1950? :)

I'd enjoy some baseball, hotdogs, pie, ...and while I'm ambivalent about muscle cars, at least they ran!

Lest some of our readers from other lands get a mistaken impression and begin booking vacation trips to experience our quaint culture, let me clarify:

What we actually have here in the states now is:
  • video games
  • fast "food"
  • smoky, noisy, XXL diesel pickup trucks that have little practical use
  • and overbuilt motorcycles with earsplitting exhaust and a terrible power/weight ratio that don't handle worth a **** . (i'm not putting the brand name here...but everyone can guess what it is)
OK, rant over!
cheers!
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Susil

Post by Susil » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am

lucy wrote:

Firstly, well done - they sound like a great set of shows!

Secondly, by 'way you're approaching' do you mean the setting and venues, or something else? I can well imagine that a concert of 'parlour' music in a beautiful period house (perhaps on a sunny Sunday afternoon...) might well get in a bigger audience as it's a whole experience, not just music in a concert hall. Perhaps a bit like the enduring popularity of the Last Night of the Proms - as much about waving flags and drinking Pimms as it is about the repertoire.... That sort of what you mean or have I run off-base?

Also are you allowed to advertise here? Might be a good opportunity to let us know where to keep up with your concert schedule!!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Susil wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am
lucy wrote:

Firstly, well done - they sound like a great set of shows!

Secondly, by 'way you're approaching' do you mean the setting and venues, or something else? I can well imagine that a concert of 'parlour' music in a beautiful period house (perhaps on a sunny Sunday afternoon...) might well get in a bigger audience as it's a whole experience, not just music in a concert hall. Perhaps a bit like the enduring popularity of the Last Night of the Proms - as much about waving flags and drinking Pimms as it is about the repertoire.... That sort of what you mean or have I run off-base?

Also are you allowed to advertise here? Might be a good opportunity to let us know where to keep up with your concert schedule!!
I agree that it's good to take classical music out of concert halls, but I can't take any credit for playing in a period house. I was asked to do that by Romsey Festival, so of course, I said YES! And yes, the informal setting may have made people warm to me more... Also, as mentioned before, I'm choosing to play a fair amount of well-known tunes and that is never bad thing, when it comes to general audiences.

Apart from that, I don't really know. To be honest, I'm at quite an early stage in this venture and I really don't know how it will turn out. It might go absolutely nowhere... :)

All I do know, is quite a few people have told me they enjoy my guitar playing, for whatever reason, so that is satisfying in itself. People describe it as soothing, or relaxing, but most commonly, people say it's beautiful, or I play beautifully, etc. I can't really say why, to be honest!

We are allowed to advertise here, in the Members Announcements section. Of course, if and when I secure some more gigs, I will post about them there.
viewforum.php?f=46

Thank you so much for your interest. If you happen to have any "leads" for me, please let me know. Thanks.

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, classical guitar draws a small audience. Of course, classical music is a relatively small audience compared to pop. Sirius XM can hardly spare the bandwidth for two stations and put the third (Pops) on internet-only, no longer broadcasting it over satellite. There are dozens of pop stations.

It's also in my observation, a relatively small field of musicians. For the same amount of pain and suffering, you could be playing violin or cello and end up with an orchestra. So I don't think youngsters get directed into guitar, although Suzuki has a children's method same as for violin.

Piano, everyone plays that, and even musicians learn it as a second instrument for its versatility.

Of non-classical music lovers, electric guitar is the overwhelming popular instrument with acoustic electric steel also hugely popular.

The repertoire of classical guitar is also small (taking a lot of the music from arrangements from other instruments.) It's hard to compose for: you have to know something about its peculiarities, range, the impossibilities of certain note combinations.

We had a wonderful concert series starting and ending with the amazing Thibaut Garcia, who is going to be one of the world's best in not too many years. Our room was full---but it's a small room. I doubt it holds more than 100. For a guy of that caliber. When we are near three major metropolitan regions and a half hour from Philadelphia.

Guitarhancock

Post by Guitarhancock » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:19 am

Classical guitar does not have a beat and you can't dance to it

Return to “Public Space”