Pressure, Discouragement and Studying Music

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
franks59

Re: Pressure, Discouragement and Studying Music

Post by franks59 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Doraemon wrote: .....everything I feel I've accomplished seems kind of meaningless. There are even guitar students in cities in my state who've won competitions and have great achievements, but I haven't really done anything. Some even have become famous. You know, they seem superhuman. Making me look like a tiny flea :oops: :oops:

...... It sounds so depressing though.
You (and probably everyone) should watch this video by Adam Neely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPbdVl8X_4

Frank

Maxim Joan

Post by Maxim Joan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm

If you can give comfort, Francis Gomez aka Paco de Lucia said that having talent was for him a large fortune, but on the other hand a great misfortune, keeping his performances have its levels throughout a life had become almost a nightmare , the last years of his life had become very difficult, go up a Flamenco bar was no longer a fun but a great sacrifice to the point of arriving to get sick.
Friend, we are talking about the immense Paco de Lucia, an artist from the immense talent of technical skill like no other guitarist in the world, he was the Flamenco in the world, he was and is the most talented guitarist of all time and times that will be, if you want a friend recommend studies, plays the guitar but do not get sick to your stomach if you become or not become famous.
You can be unhappy even to be famous, the music was not born to become famous, music was born to make us live better, whatever our level.
However if you have talent and want intrapprendere a career as a concert artist, you must have a very strong character, you have to dedicate yourself only to that knowing that the pitfalls around the corner will be very larg
Maxim joan :bye:
Last edited by Maxim Joan on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Maxim Joan wrote: You can be unhappy even to be famous, the music was not born to become famous, music was born to make us live better, whatever our level.
Amen.

Maxim Joan

Post by Maxim Joan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Orapro nobis :D

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Maxim Joan wrote: .....the music was not born to become famous, music was born to make us live better, whatever our level.

That's a great statement to post on our music stands and guitar cases.

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Some great advice here. Everyone has doubts of this kind at times. Something that helped me a lot was realising that talent is a myth (I know that is controversial and I'm not trying to start a debate about it, seriously :)

Talent is just an incredibly seductive idea. When people become great players everyone starts telling them how talented they are, and isn't it comforting to know that you are special and no one could play like you. On the other hand players who don't work hard, are not will to make sacrifices or are simply stuck in their ways, can confidently put their lack of progress down to not having talent.

So don't worry about not being a prodigy or lack of talent, just work harder and smarter than everyone and you will surprise yourself with the results.

One other thing, musicians bios are the biggest pile of rubbish ever. The whole purpose of the bio is to big yourself up. Whenever I read someone's bio I'm amazed I haven't heard of the person. Bios are an absurd necessity, don't take them too seriously

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 pm

And another thing which I don't think has been mentioned before. This may not apply to you, specifically, but never fear "failure", or not achieving what you'd like to do in life.

Something like music is so inherently uncertain, if you fear it not working out as you'd like, it may discourage you from giving it your best shot, because you may feel less equipped to deal with the disappointment.

Just go for it! And as the previous poster just said, work hard and I would add, remain determined and committed.

Good luck.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Public Space”